I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a 4 month old Cockapoo named Axle. We have had him for 2 months now and potty training is the most annoying thing. I have had many dogs growing up and have potty trained 2 dogs with GREAT success but Axle will NOT and I mean will NOT go to the bathroom for me or my husband. We will take him outside, will not pee. And I mean for like 20 minutes or more, then he will walk into the house and go. I know how to train so I am so saddened that he is not getting it. I also tried puppy pads, which he peed on once and now lays on it thinking it is a bed. Today for example I stood with him near the puppy pad for about a 1/2 hr and he just looked at me the whole time, then walked into my room peed on the floor and on my bed and then in the living room and then walked into my room and pooped on the floor. He does not get it. I can clearly tell when he has to go but he refuses. Its so terrible. Im cleaning up after him all day long. Using all these products with no luck. I am at my witts end. Can anyone help?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
our lot would always pee outside, but the problem with Inca and now wih Delta is they don't tell us when then need to go, they just go.

have you tried keeping him on a lead and attaching him to you, or will he pee right infront of you.

have you tried word association, what we did was say a word when the pee ours is 'pee pee' but it can be anything. so they learn to pee on command.

sorry if thats stuff you have already tried.

i had a friend who's dog refused to pee in the garden, she just refused to walk him and he eventually peed in the garden. so maybe the opposite, go out for the full day with him. or do you have a crate? if so, if he doesn't pee when out, he goes strait into the crate. take him out for a pee if he doesn't he goes back in the crate. and repeat till he pees.

hope you have better luck soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kendal, I do use words like I have in the past with my other dogs which always worked. Not with Axle. ;( I use a crate with him at night and when I leave the house for errands and what not. At night he will cry for about 10 minutes or so then just fall asleep when I go out he cries so loud that you can hear him at the end of the driveway and all windows are closed so you can imagine. I am not sure when and if he ever stops which is also frustrating but that is another topic. I use a leash when I take him. Will not pee. And I know he has too. Example, I just came back from an hour walk with him and nothing and right before I took him he drank 2 bowls of water. I know he has to go. I dont get it. If I put him in the crate when its NOT bed time he will howl and cry so loud so that method sadly will not work.

Jersey, I bought him from a pet store which sells puppies from local breeders. Is that the same as a puppy mill?

I love Axle and so does my husband but you can imagine how frustrating this is. I get mad and I dont wanna get mad at him because he is so adorable.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
how big is his bowl how much watter can it hold? lol my dog bowl is the big seramic. bowls you get so if one of my lot were to drink two full bowls i would take them to the vets as that is a lot of water.

will he pee on the lead in the house? like as soon as you walk back in or does he wait till you have let him off.
you could try keeping him on a lead all day ataches to your wast so you know he is beside you and you can see if he makes any signe that he is going to pee.

is it a big puddle you find when he pees.
have you had him off lead yet outside. some dogs just dont like doing the toilet on the lead.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bowl is about 6 inches long and wide. (it's a circle) lol He will pee anywhere anytime as long as it's Axle way! XD lol I will say. He did not have ANY accidents yesterday! And today we are off to a great start! Long walks and MUCH needed patience is what is needed! And I mean like an hour walk every other hour as you can imagine becomes a little annoying. And yes, even through the night. My last walk with him last night was at 3am and then he slept till 10am. And yes when he pees in the house it can be a large puddle but it can also be very small. Axle has some personality! =D I hope he gets this! I dont wanna give up on him!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
my girls watee bowl holds just over 2 1/2 pints of water, id be worried if one of mime could drink two of them in one siting. is that a regular thing.

glad you had a better day.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah. He LOVES water. After he drinks all his water he will sit there and knock the bowl around wanting more. I dont normally give him more then 1 bowl. I moniter his intake until he will pee normally for me. And we are having an awesome day again today. He has not had one accident again today! (even though the day is not over, I have my fingers crossed) I don't know what it is, like as soon as I complained on here he started to pee outside. lol I hope this is not a phase and he gets it. I have confidence in him!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Axle is actually doing better which is crazy because it was like an overnight change. lol But I am thankful. I have been walking him and when he does not pee I put him in his crate for an hour and walk him again and repeat the process. If he pees I reward him like crazy. But tonight I walked him and he pooped but did not pee. Does he still go in hi crate for not peeing? Because I know that if he does something and I crate him he might get confused and I don't want to confuse him. Any tips?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jess - our puppy is 6 months old and is doing very well with his potty training. However, in the beginning was having a lot of accidents until we started to give him a treat every time he made out side and we praised him for doing so. Also, if I were you I would not give Axle so much freedom in your house until he's potty trained. This way if he does have accidents he would be confined to a smaller area of your home. We have doggies gates that keeps Bailey out of our living room and bedrooms - this way if he does anything in the house we have more control as to where he goes.
When we go out during the day he's confined to our kitchen - and if we are gone more then 3 hours he will always pee on the kitchen floor and sometimes poop depending on how long we are gone.
Hope this helps!! Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be. One day he'll just GET IT!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I try and not give him that much freedom. Believe me. lol He gets praised when he pees outside like so much that he jumps around goes crazy. =D I used a baby gate but guess what?! Axle just jumps right over it with no effort. lol He is doing pretty good today. No accidents yet. I have my fingers crossed. =D

How is your puppy doing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts