I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking Rudi off the lead the last couple of days and she has been amazing and then the sun came out so I took her onto the fields near mine but they are not closed off but she is usually fine - a big sheep dog appeared and Rudi went to play - this dog bolted across the fields and across the road and into the streets and Rudi followed!!!! I read that you shouldn't chase them but I was calling her and she didn't listen and just kept running - I ran over the field and got to the road where all the traffic had stopped and she came back - I put her on her lead and put her in car to go home - can anyone give me some tips on how to deal with that if she doesn't come back?? I probably won't be going back there until she is better at her recall but I any advice would be amazing ... Should I have carried on walking with her or was I right to end the walk?? Xxx

· Registered
4,586 Posts
I think we have all experienced something like this along the way, so don't worry too much. I bet you were so scared for her do I can understand why you took her straight home!
I would just say take her somewhere more enclosed or just away from hazards and lots of recall practise, lots of yummy treats to reward her when she does come back and I am absolutely confident you will get there.
So just chalk it up to experience and carry on :) if you are really concerned you could get a training line to attach to her, let her trail it around but if she takes off you can jump on it to stop her. Good luck :)

· Registered
6,317 Posts
Not surprised you were scared, I've been really careful only letting Dudley off when the coast is clear as I know he would follow another dog - maybe I should get a long line as I guess another dog can appear really quickly. Hope you are feeling a little calmer now.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Karen's right, it does happen to all of us. She has given good advice.

On a wing and prayer you hope they are ok. But I would say, don't stop the off lead, recall training.

I've had bad days, where it all goes completely wrong. Pick yourself up, deep breath and carry on. As the training progresses and your dog will occasionally test the boundaries you will need to take the training back a few steps to reiterate the basics again.

As Millie progressed in her training, I found that she would wait ahead of me, waiting for me to catch up. I used this as a natural training point and called to her to Wait. She learnt that Wait meant stay and wait for me, or stop and come back to me. Nine times out of ten it works. Especially with maturity they learn to listen more.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I really thought she was going to get run over - we are going to go to the enclosed park today and hope she is better today - we are going with another dog that she knows and he is a well trained border collie so she might pick up a few tips ha :) might even take some tastier treats with me like corned beef :) xx

· Registered
3,583 Posts
So glad you've back in the saddle (so to speak) and taking Rudi back out for an off lead lead. Good idea taking a well trained dog to show her the ropes.

One other thing, I do find with Millie that when she's away from me up to no good, I find Come doesn't work. For Millie, if I give a firm No ! she stops short in what she's doing. Or Wait (said very firmly, emphasing the last letter). Then an excited Good Girl, Come.

Its trail and error sometimes. Such a worry when they don't have any road sense.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah she was brilliant Yesterday and kept coming back to me - this might have been due to the treats but was so proud of her :) I will keep going to the enclosed park away from roads so I don't experience that again - maybe when she is older I can take her back their :) xxx

· Registered
371 Posts
So glad you've back in the saddle (so to speak) and taking Rudi back out for an off lead lead. Good idea taking a well trained dog to show her the ropes.

One other thing, I do find with Millie that when she's away from me up to no good, I find Come doesn't work. For Millie, if I give a firm No ! she stops short in what she's doing. Or Wait (said very firmly, emphasing the last letter). Then an excited Good Girl, Come.

Its trail and error sometimes. Such a worry when they don't have any road sense.
I taught my last dog "stop", so if she was running away she would just stand, it gave me time to get to her, which sometimes was very handy when walking through a cow field! :eek: sounds like she's doing ok, I like the corned beef idea too. Reminds me of my childhood dinners! Might buy some today! Thank for that! X

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.