I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexter is pretty well potty trained. He hasn't had any accidents in a few weeks....knock on wood. His big issue is just the nipping, and jumping up on the tables and trying to grab stuff. How long did your pups nip. He always tries to bite my hands and my clothes. Not my husband...I guess he is the alpha.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Dexter will stop biting when you teach him its not an acceptable behavur, its not something a puppy will grow out. i would say he does respect ur husband more than you. at what times does he bite, is it during games like tug or fetch, is it when you walk into a room?

the jumping up on tables does it happen when you are in the room or when you not there or just if ur not looking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He when he excited and pulls on my pant leg when he wants to play. We say no and give him a toy. We started giving him "timeouts" as our trainer has suggested. We have used bitter apple. It is really frustrating. :(

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i would say dont give him a toy when he is tugging on you cloths as he might see that as prase for that behavure.

what is it you are using the bitter apple for have you given him a tast of it so you know he doesnt like it.

for the table jumping i would put a long lead on him enough so he dosnt realy know he is on lead, then put something realy tasty on the table that you know he wont be able to resist. be ready for when he jumps and tug on the lead to give him a correction.

set up the situation for the behavure you want to stop so you are ready to react, rather than having to wait for the behavure to happen naturaly.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Benny nipped as a puppy too. It was actually funny; around 7:00 at night, like clockwork, he'd go into a biting frenzy. It happened the exact same time every night. This went on for a couple months. After a little while he eased up on the biting.

What we did is, when he started biting we would tell him no and then tell him to go get one of his toys (so he'd bite that instead of us). Now, whenever he gets angry, all we have to do is say no and he'll run and get a toy and stop biting us. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts