I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined site having been reading forums for ages - taking all the good advice on board whilst looking for a puppy. Think I may be becoming a bit obsessive (hubby thinks I am!)

Will be bringing our new pup home within next 3 weeks and we are all sooooooo excited.

This site is going to be our bible and looking forward to getting lots and lots of support, help and advice.

We currently just have a 5 year old cat so think we might have a bit of fun integrating her with the new puppy (haven't settled on a name yet and with 5 of us having to agree might be calling it puppy for a while!). Any tips on cat?

Cris :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, with our 3 eldist they learnd from our older cats what they could and couldnt do. most of the time after a couple of swipes from the cat the pup will get the messege.

it was only when we got the kitten before getting Delta that has made Delta not listen to the older cats as she seems to think they want to play like Joey the kitten(well cat now lol) you can always tell the puppy off for anoying the cats tomuch.

so what colour is your new puppy, what names are beeing concidered. girl or boy what typ of cockapoo

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're getting a golden girl. Show cocker mix. Can think of lots of boy names, not quite so easy with girls. Suggestions have been Willow, Flori, Kelty and a few more, but I came across Keeva yesterday, it's Irish for beautiful and we all seem to like this. But we're going to wait until we see pup to see if it suits (I can't imagine it's going to be anything but beautiful, but we'll love it regardless!)

·
Registered
283 Posts
i think u can look at your pup and know what name to give them, my beautiful little girl looked just like a "Flossy" x

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hi Cris welcome to the forum,no wonder you are so excited! I have 3 cats and the cats were here first,ell 2 of them ere and they are all the best of friends,sleep and play together,especially my black cat milly who actually rolls around on the floor with the dogs like a puppy,ive attached a pic of my american cocker with milly.I love the name keeva:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Your photos are absolutely fab - what a lovely couple! I have to say I can't imagine my cat ever being that close to a dog, but you have given me hope that it can be done. I'll let you know how they get on in due course.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Cris

I love the name Keeva... different and pretty name

It is so exciting getting a new puppy, esp a cockapoo.. bet the whole family is excited. Is this your first dog? Try to get some pics from the breeder so you can show us all... we love a pic on here (as you most prob already gathered)..

Loving MandyM's pics of kitty and cockapoo cuddle... living in harmony !!!

Enjoy the forum and most of all enjoy your puppy :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's our first dog as family, although I've always lived with dogs since the age of 8 and as my parents have always had dogs up until a couple of years ago they were considered as our dogs too as far as the children were concerned, all the love, walks without actually having to do too much hard work - lol! However, I know the time is right to welcome a puppy into our lives and we're all up for it, with 3 teenagers on hand to help. We're all so excited just can't wait to see ours. Will post as soon as I can. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi Cris,i love all the names you mentioned! which doesnt help much,im very fond of willow,was one of my fav names for our cockapoo which we will be getting soon,but we have chosen Cherry(let hubby pick name!) so he can feel involved!!!! as im the one who is slightly obsessed at getting a puppy:D Good luck and enjoy coming on here its so great to get info from all these experts on here,they are all fantastic cockapoo owners:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What colour puppy are you getting? Will you be using a crate? I've read a few posts on here and suggestions about a 30" one being just about right size, but wondered what else I should be considering before getting one. I've looked on Ebay but think I need some more help before I purchase - any tips?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well i have my heart set on a chocolate girl,but im very aware that the right pup may pick me,so will have to see! Im going to get a 36" one,as that is what Jukee Doodles have advised upon,and we are getting our pup from them,havent got one yet though! There have been numerous posts on here regarding crates and what size is suitable,along with crate training,i think JD can send you some crate advice so maybe contact them as they are full of helpfull info,although most people on here seem to be so too....Good luck:)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
It's our first dog as family, although I've always lived with dogs since the age of 8 and as my parents have always had dogs up until a couple of years ago they were considered as our dogs too as far as the children were concerned, all the love, walks without actually having to do too much hard work - lol! However, I know the time is right to welcome a puppy into our lives and we're all up for it, with 3 teenagers on hand to help. We're all so excited just can't wait to see ours. Will post as soon as I can. :)
Chis ... sounds like me, my parents always had dogs, I waited for the kids to be at an age where they maybe able to help (fat chance)... I have walked my dogs 3 times today and did ask the kids if they fancied joining me, but I got a polite "no we are too busy mum" ha ha ha

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jojo, I'll let you know how helpful my little darlings are..........but I guess I won't hold my breath!! :D

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
What colour puppy are you getting? Will you be using a crate? I've read a few posts on here and suggestions about a 30" one being just about right size, but wondered what else I should be considering before getting one. I've looked on Ebay but think I need some more help before I purchase - any tips?

Hi Cris,
Here is the post from a previous thread about what crate size to get:

Hi Curt3007,
A 30" crate should be fine for the smaller end of the Cockapoo range - anything 15" to the shoulders fully grown would be better suited to a 36" crate. A fully grown dog should have sufficient room to stand-up; turn around and comfortably lay down sprawled out (as they do) - we would suggest buying a hook-on water bowl and 3 bits of "Vet-Bed" to the size of the base of the crate (one to be in-use - one in reserve and one in the wash). As for little pups - as Mandy says above - it's their DEN - the crate is the first place that they will pro-actively try / want to keep clean - so we suggest the Vet-Bed folded in half at the back with newspaper at the front in case they can't hold-on !
We also have other suggestions - and they are only suggestions about crate-training so on - and if you would like one of our "Idiot's Guides" (we get lots of people asking us the same questions - so Julia put together a few sheets on the basics for people - from more of a physcological view point as opposed to the classic "do's and dont's") - then just ask and we can e-mail you one.
I was asked recently to buy a crate for a customer - and found a superb quality crate (36" with side and front doors) - a proper crate not a flimsy wire one - off E-Bay from a seller listed as "gwdavies28" - he appears to be a rep for Doghealth Stock nutrition in Dereham Norfolk.

Stephen x

PS: We will be at 'Poo Fest '11 tomorrow - and we will be bringing along several "Idiot's Guides" too.

The "Idiot's Guide" is basically all the questions we get asked every time and we have answered each of them from a lateral thinking point of view - it encompasses "crate training"; "toilet training"; "food"; "biting" and "assertive puppies" etc etc etc - I will try and add one on here every now and again - under the title of "Tips from The Dog House" (1 and 2 are already on).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for info Stephen, really appreciate it. Can't make Poo Fest unfortunately, but will look out for your Idiots Guide titbits on here.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Thanks for info Stephen, really appreciate it. Can't make Poo Fest unfortunately, but will look out for your Idiots Guide titbits on here.
It Daddy's Day so a tricky one to make... and we have to be nice to Daddy in our house as they buys the cockapoos which make mummy happy... I will be interested to see all the crazy photos tomorrow night though.

Cris, good luck with the kids, mine loved puppy ownership for 2 months now they just do the cuddling, hugging and playing then leave me with three very excited dogs ...but they do adore them ... our dogs have made our family complete xxx

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Cris welcome.... I think Keeva is a lovely name and meaning beautiful im sure is very apt.... looking forward to pictures x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts