I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all my own fault as do treat Pushca like a baby but she hates being left but usually gets on with it but yesterday I left her outside Waitrose and she squealed as if being murdered! What am I to do? I came out eventually and turned my back to her and didn't fuss her. (as advised) but does anyone have any tips please? I have bought some Bach remedy drops and know I need to stop smothering her but it's so hard to undo
Thanks guys
:(:(

· Registered
473 Posts
Sorry I can't give any advice but if it makes you feel any better my Bertie is the same :eek: I took him out with my mum yesterday for a lovely walk and I needed to pop to the loo so my mum held on to him while I popped to use a public loo. Well the noises that were coming out of him were amazing! My mum was the otherside of a road and I was inside a building behind two closed doors and I could still hear him :eek:

Clare and Bertie

· Registered
133 Posts
Archie is exactly the same. I would love to take him on the nursery run every day and leave him at the school gate whilst I pop in however I just can't bear to have everyone saying 'who's is that poor puppy making all that noise?' The noise would be dreadful. It's bad enough when we drive down and I leave him in the car for the 5 mins it takes me to to the drop off / collection.

I am interested to hear what others say regarding this and any tips.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
Sometimes, they get a little too attached.....Lady is with me....and we are working on it, ignore them when you come in the house for about 10 minutes, and then say a quiet hello, it will calm the excitememnt, and ease up the issues when you leave.

· Registered
8,349 Posts
I opened this thread thinking oh no what has Pushca been up to ....

To be honest I think my girls would do the same, I haven't left them outside a shop etc but as we all know cockapoos love human company and are very attached to us.. xxx

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Betty has got better with this as she's got older, plus living on my own interior have no choice but to leave her or I'd never be able to go to the supermarket etc. I've never left her alone outside a shop but if I leave her with a friend she is usually fine now, unless she doesn't know the friend well when she does react at times by being very noisy!!!!

As for the car, she's brilliant now. I got into the habit of taking her when I went to get fuel when she was little so she had a couple of minutes of not seeing me, then I sometimes put her in the car when I'm loading the car up and go back inside and get thing. Now I can easily leave her in the car when I go to the supermarket. I've even had to take her to work when my dog walker had an emergency and Betty had a couple of hours on her owning the car and she was fine. She's usually just laying in her bed which I have on the front seat.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thank you all it was so upsetting and I suppose I wouldn't normally leave her outside a shop ( oh imagine if someone stole her) but I will try to not fuss when I come home and leave her on her own a bit more. We had a very traumatic car journey back from liverpoool too; shaking and panting. So it all added up to the worry. I just can't resist that face tho lol
:)

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Millie used to howl the place down, whether I popped off to the loo on a walk or into a shop.

In th end I made special trips into the coffee shop on my walk in Verulam Park - it was rather noisy and people used to complain inside the shop, commenting on who was being irresponsible leaving such a noise outside :p I replied, well if you let me push in front of you all, I can be out of here really quickly and then she'll stop. :D

However, I did work on leaving her outside the coffee shop and popping back out, giving her a treat if she was remotely good. Gradually she just accepted it, until one day I realised that she was just waiting patiently. I think it was rather luck than judgement. But the aim is to pop into a shop and pop straight back out again, gradually increasing the time inside. It helps if you explain to the workers in the shop as to what you are doing, otherwise you can look rather silly. :eek:

As for car journeys, we did have problems at the very beginning and as we regularly take a 2hr journey to the New Forest, we needed to make Millie a good car traveller. We started with Millie on the passenger seat, 10 min journeys, which had to have a nice ending - something like a nice walk. Then moved her to the back seats with my son next to her and so in a position so she can still see the driver. Millie now has the back seat to herself and she simply lies down when the cars moving and may occassionally stand if the car is stationery. She is on a harness :D

· Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,183 Posts
I can't really advise on this as have never really left Obi tied up outside any shops (only outside a cafe when I pop in for a takeout) I'm too frightened he might be stolen/dognapped :eek: Am I just being paranoid?

· Administrator
5,034 Posts
cant leave my girls out side a shop, even if im standing outside with gypsy while my mum is inside she will howl. the other three sometimes cry if im in somewhere and my mums out with them.

i have only ever left them once or twice on their own i think that was when it was only Gypsy and Inca and to be honest the crying was reasuring as i knew they were still their.

dog theft in on the rize and with cockapoos being so popular i dont think i could leave my girls out side again. even when leaving my brother outside the wee shop(for milk or a paper) holding the dogs i leave hin with my whistle telling him to blow it as hard as he can if somone tries to take him or the dogs.

sorry thats not much help regarding the crying, its just going to be a case of getting her used to it, start off just going out of site. but you can still see her. and working up to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.