I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,773 Posts
Gosh tomorrow!

There are two trains of thought and there are pros and cons to each. One is to spay at the age Tilly is and the other is to wait until after the first season. The most important thing to do is have a read and decide what is right for you. Different vets also give different advice so that doesn't really help us much either!

http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_care_spaying_neutering.html

At the bottom of this webpage is a link to an interesting document which gives all the health benefits of spaying and how these vary according to the age of the dog.

I am hoping for Daisy to have a keyhole spay but struggling to find a local vet who offers this at the moment.

Hope all goes well for Till tomorrow. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Must look that up now. Ya I was a bit undecided but def would prefer to get her done before her first heat. She's showing a few behavioral signs but no physical signs. Done a good bit of research on the keyhole vs standard spaying, keyhole seems the the most painless Procedure and less recovery time,

Best of luck finding a vet close by who does this procedure 😊


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.762449,-8.374788
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
We advise at least 6 months. Some prefer to let them have a season, i spayed my last bitch pre-season at 6 months and if i didn't intend to breed i would do this again (6 months is the earliest i would do it though) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think u might be right. I just read the link in the last post and I'm a bit concerned of Tilly's age now, even though she will be 20weeks on the 2nd of feb, if I go by the date of the month she was born then she's not 5months till 15th of feb. ( if that makes sense) 😏 im thinking she may be a little young. Even though vet told me from 3 and a half months on for medium size dogs. 😳😳😳😳
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,590 Posts
Is that all she is! I'd wait until the 6 month mark, my baby is 5 months on the 31st, but we're waiting until 6 months. That's when my oldeer girl was spayed & she has been fine since :)

The other time to decide is 3 months after her first season, some prefer this.

But it's personal preference tbh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,773 Posts
I believe that in the States they have started spaying earlier than six months but I agree with all the above posts. I decided to wait until after Daisy's first season and would do this again however IF I chose the pre season option I wouldn't have it done earlier than six months. Good luck with your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your advice guys, I'm going to go and speak with the vet again tomorrow and let him see Tilly, the more I'm thinking the more I think she's to young,
I'll repost tomorrow to let ye know, 😳😳😁😁😁
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top