I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that throwing sticks is not good - they can leap onto them & injure themselves. Should I get too paranoid though about ones that the dog picks up from the garden & then proceeds to chew ? Our garden backs onto a few trees & so inevitably there are lots of sticks / small branches around. Do I let the pup get on & chew or should I be strict doggy mummy & remove ?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5hbyky
Sent from my iPhone
Lisa - mum of 3 boys, Dexter Cockapoo & 4 hens !

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I share your predicament. Saffi is obsessed with chewing sticks in the garden – we don’t throw them on walks either. I feel like if we tried to stop her we’d be doing it all day!

Will be interested to hear what people say

Turi x

· Registered
1,269 Posts
My lounge often resembles a scene from Autumn Watch! Hattie brings in all sorts of rubbish! I ignore it and collect it the next day. The danger with sticks is when they chase a thrown stick which can then get impailed into their mouths if it is stuck up in the ground. I see nothing wrong with bringing in a stick chewing it and spitting it out. The less attention you pay to the behaviour the less the problem. Good luck.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Millie loves to chew on sticks too. I did worry about it for a while, but after watching her I notice she finds ones that are pretty quick to crumble. A lot of the stick just makes a mess, but I know she does seems to ingest some pieces. I've decided that these are tiny fragements and being organic will be digested in the gut.

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Sounds like we're all in the same boat then!

I did buy a safestix but didn’t bother looking at the measurements and when it arrived I was shocked to see that it was nearly twice the length of Saffi and so heavy she couldn’t even pick it up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.