I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Sounds like he is doing really well. Does he ever get to say hello and play with other dogs?

When Chance was a pup we worked really hard on her coming back to me when she saw other dogs, but when we got closer if the other dog was friendly I then let her go and say hello and play if appropriate.

I would use a long line if necessary to prevent him making his own choices and rewarding him massively but then allowing him to say hello. I do similar on lead, pulling towards another dog turn and go the other way, but turn back as soon as pup can walk nicely. Again if the other dog is friendly they can say a very quick hello - although on lead always make them very quick.

Hope that all makes sense.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Meeting dogs on lead is often when they are more tense so a potential problem - if my dogs do say hello to another on lead I generally call them away quite quickly before things go wrong. Chance is not at all comfortable meeting another dog when she is on lead and I avoid it as much as possible, Molly is much more laid back about it.

When we are out and about offlead I generally react to how the other dogs and owners are, for dogs on lead I will always call them back and put mine onlead (or just move away if appropriate) if other dogs are off lead and both dogs and owners look relaxed mine can say hello when we get close, it is usually a quick hello and then move on now they are both getting old. As youngsters they would sometimes have a quick play and then move on. It sounds like you are missing the step to get to that point?

It sounds like what you are doing is largely trying to ignore other dogs when out and about which is always going to be tricky for a social breed like a cockapoo. What you need to teach him is that listening to you when other dogs are around is superb, the ideal scenario is you see another dog, he listens to you and comes back to you, you hugely reward him for doing that and then release him to go and say hello to the other dog and have a play if appropriate - that is the premack principle at play and its incredibly powerful as you are letting him do what he wants to do as a reward for doing what you want him to do. Maybe you could start off with one of his friends working on it and build up to doing some with him out and about using a long training line so he can not get it wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts