I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, am new on here and new to ever having a dog (puppy), my puppy as just gone 12wks she is just so cute but also sooooo smelly even after a bath (wet dog smell) her ears seem fine too, its just the smell is taking over the house! is it just while shes a pup & will she grow out of it? (i know dogs are meant to have adoggy odour but this is much worse). Also one of the reasons we chose this breed was coz of the hypo allergy but my daughters suffering really bad with her! any tips or advise thanx x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
she may not react to her after a while, i know someone whos son reacted to their pup but as it got older he didnt react to him.

however cockapoos are not 100% hypoalagenic. some can shed, the curlier the coeat the less they shed.

now the smell, yes dogs do smell, and wee girls offten get pee on their legs and need them rince off every couple of days. could that be the smell.

how often are you bathing her and are you dying her after the bath what are you using on her.

when was the last time you changed her bedding.

have you had a dog before?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Also what food are you feeding her on. This can sometimes have an effect. My Millie began to smell doggy, and for other reasons I changed her food from Kibble to the raw diet/Barf/Natural Instinct. This is not for everyone, but the doggy smell has definitely gone, a good healthy coat too. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the tips, No iv never ever had a dog before even when we were younger its always been cats,. The smell doesnt seem like pee its all over her coat/skin, she last had her bathe 10 days ago but that was her 2nd one since we got her(2 in a month) & her skin does seem to have gone a little dry/flakey, could this be causing her to smell? I now have read that 2 baths is excessive but we didnt know. iIhope your right about my daughter gettin used to it. x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i dont care what anyone says about dogs not having a smell they do have a natural oder, just like any animal.

if he coat is a little flaky try adding come codliver oil to her dinner every day or even a raw egg every week.

what kind of shampoo are you using on her and what is she fed on, maybe try baby shampoo or a teetree one .

i hate to tell you but with winter coming you are going to have to get used to the wet dog smell as that will happen whn youv walk her in the rain, snow, mud etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used baby shampoo the first time & the 2nd time was at a groomers they used one for her dry skin. Shes on a all natural kibble puppy food. I Suppose i will just have to get used to it like u say with all this rain! but my friends dogs dont seem to smell as bad as her?? i wash her bedding wkly too.x

·
Registered
242 Posts
hi i use pets at home teatree shampoo and a glossy conditioner and most of the time wispa doesnt smell too much,but as kendal said its coming up to winter :rain: and that damp doggie smell is on its way! lol i find it also helps to give them a good brush to get the oils in there coats coming through and it might help with your daughters allergies. OOoo ive just had a thought has she rolled in anything cuz sometimes the smell just wont go even after a bath!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dog shampoo has changed massively over the years, it's prob better than ours and we wash our hair everyday!
So if u feel the need to wash your pup more often, it should be fine. Use as mild as possible, puppy or johnsons. Rinse well and I mean well that's the normal prob with flaky skin is poor rinsing.
Drying properly stops the smell, other peeps on here will vouch, that get your pup used to the hair dryer now, saves time in the long run!
Then your clean, dry pup gets a new clean dry bed.
I'm with you I hate the smell of wet dog.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I must admit Buddy smells all the time ,ive been using the tropiclean products that he came with(well they dont smell of anything to me??so when hes had a bath he still smells the same)
Must admit ive taken to washing his vetbed in his crate alot and this seems to help and ive also got plug in air freshners everywhere (ha ha)
Im not looking forward to winter and wet dog smell but think i might invest in some sort of coat for him to keep him dry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for your reply, its so confusing about the bathing thing sum say dont wash sum say you can wash:confused:. I Really want to give her another bath coz shes that bad but i dont want it to dry her skin any more, i didnt use conditioner but i dried her v.well last time. her bedding washed wkly & put out to freshen when its NOT raining. also iv read they grow out of the smell as they get older?? x

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Nellie

Interesting post... I thought Cockapoos were supposed to smell less than other breeds?! I don't have a puppy yet so I've all this (and more) to look forward to!

I too was interested in puppy hygiene and wondered if it would be ok to use human shampoo/conditioner on a dog - my boyfriend works for Toni & Guy so we've fab products in the house :D. I did a Google search and found this blog which explains that the Ph of a dog's skin is different to that of a human's http://happytailsspa-blog.com/2008/...ifference-between-dog-shampoo-human-shampoos/.

Might be worth trying a shampoo specifically for dogs if her skin is try and as suggested above trying a diet with more moisture in it. I know that one of the Natural Instinct puppy foods has fish oil added to it which should also help with the dry skin... http://www.naturalinstinct.com/products/Puppy.html/.

Hope this helps!

Turi x

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
When I was younger I always noticed that when visiting people with dogs their houses always smelt very doggy. It's just something that comes with having a dog! I doubt any dog doesn't have that doggy smell, especially if he/she is living indoors.

My friend who had 5 dogs (craaazy! one is enough to tire me out :eek:) swore by Frebreeze, although I'm not sure whether they are doggy safe due to the chemicals.

Vincent has been with us for 4 days and the house definately smells doggy xD I'm sure it'll get better once he stops his little peepees on the carpet but I've fully accepted that we're going to live in a doggy smelly house for many many years to come!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi Nellie
Sounds like you are doing everything right from a cleaning point of view. Regular bathing, clean bedding etc. I bathe Millie every 3- 4 weeks, but only because she gets herself so dirty playing on the beach. I use Johnsons no tangle shampoo because its mild.

One of the reasons I got a cockapoo was low odour. You can only smell doggy smell on Millie if you stick your nose right into her fur.

I really think you need to look at what you are feeding her. Imagine its a bit like eating lots of garlic, we excrete the smell through our pores not just on our breath.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone who as replied i really do appreciate your advise with it all bein new to us! Yes we also thought cockapoos were low to no odor dogs! Iv noticed this morning while bruhing her the flakes are cuming off but at the base of her tail its thick and matted to her coat its cumin loose with brushin but thats were must of the smell is too??:(

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That sounds strange? prehaps try the teetree shampoo like others have suggested as it my be that she does have dry skin??
Also have you been walking anywhere where she may have rolled in something I know fox poo stinks and dosnt wash out just with shampoo.
Also i think i notice the smell more because ive never had a dog before,dont get me wrong Buddy does not smell like other dogs its def not as strong.
If your worried it could be dandruff take her to the vets to be checked out because i know dogs can get walking dandruff which is a mite (not sure if they make dogs smell but ear mites do so maybe worth a google)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I think if her fur is getting very matted and smelly and it's not washing out with the teetree shampoo then it might be a good idea to take her to the vets. If all else he might be able to recommend a more medicated shampoo

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ive just googled for you and dandruff can cause them to smell so its worth a trip ,also he should check her anal glands as this could be where the smells coming from and cockapoos are prone to anal gland problems.
Good luck lets us know the out come dx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx donna i think you could be right, il think il get the vets to have a look at her. il keep you posted x

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Yes I would say getting the vet to check is the best option, my Izzie never smells unless it's wet dog, but we do spray doggy deodorant/spray that smells nice on her after a bath, might be another option? It makes Izzie smell beaut :D Good luck!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ive just googled for you and dandruff can cause them to smell so its worth a trip ,also he should check her anal glands as this could be where the smells coming from and cockapoos are prone to anal gland problems.
Good luck lets us know the out come dx
Are they? I haven't heard this before. I have been lucky and not had any problems with Monty with his AG.

Where did you find that info Donna?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts