I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Administrator
5,034 Posts
Are they? I haven't heard this before. I have been lucky and not had any problems with Monty with his AG.

Where did you find that info Donna?

its not just cockapoos its any breed. most of the dogs that come to my work for grooming have a very un healthy discharge coming from their anal glands when we exspress them. most of the time a result of a poor diet. others are just realy unlucky.

its always good to check their anal glands when giving them a bath its so easy and quick to do + in the bath you can wash it away quick and shampoo to get rid of any smell.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Cant remember where i saw it but it was online ,and also whan i ordered my NI the women on the phone told me this as well,like Kendal i think most dogs are prone to it suppose its just common sense really if your dog has soft stools.

· Registered
42 Posts
Um, sure I'll regret this Kendal :eek: but how do you do it? Izzy has been scooting around a bit :( I'm just a bit squeemish ....
There are some good YouTube videos on it - it is a bit gross, but it's really not all that bad once you get over the initial "ew" factor. We had to do Izzy's when we first brought her home - had giardia, poor girl, and her stools were too soft to express the AG properly. We do it in the tub right before bath time, so any discharge (yuck) gets washed away.

Regarding OP's ? re: doggy smell, I do think I vet trip might be a good idea, or even just give them a ring and see what they say.

Izzy had dry skin as well, and she was a bit itchy/flaky when we first brought her home. We rotate between Cloud Star Buddy Wash in Rosemary Mint, and Earthbath shampoo in the Tea Tree and Aloe Formula. Her skin has since cleared up perfectly, and her itching has stopped. We do blow her dry after her bath, and use a spray on conditioner when we brush her. We have noticed she stays smelling super nice for about 2 weeks, and she doesn't get really doggy until about 4:) weeks, so she gets a bath at that time (unless she rolls in something, then it's bath ASAP!).

· Registered
695 Posts
Word of warning guy's!! if you do it wrong you can cause an infection:(. If you think they need doing then go to your vet let him examine your puppy/dog and if they need doing ask him/her to show you how to do it:eek: could be £20+ well spent....:) 2 classic sign's to look for 1. Dragging bottom on the floor(but this can also be caused by a cling-on, check) 2.Biting at their bottom area. Mick;)

· Registered
1,584 Posts
its not just cockapoos its any breed. most of the dogs that come to my work for grooming have a very un healthy discharge coming from their anal glands when we exspress them. most of the time a result of a poor diet. others are just realy unlucky.

its always good to check their anal glands when giving them a bath its so easy and quick to do + in the bath you can wash it away quick and shampoo to get rid of any smell.
Yes I know it's any breed and agree with you that in a lot of cases it is diet related.

Just wondering where Donna got info that cockapoos were prone to it as haven't seen that info- but she has answered now :)

· Registered
42 Posts
Well iv got her booked in at the vets tonight to check her flakey skin out, and i think il get her to check tha analglands too coz that Defo sumthin I WONTever be doin! lol:eek:
good idea :)

In the spirit of full disclosure I should probably add I usually get the hubby to perform the procedure - I figure, he's a doctor, so he's more "qualified" lol ;)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts