I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, not happy went to the vets & she said she cud have parasites?? but cudnt see anythin agreed she had a sweaty smell then was sent to the nurse to be sprayed in FRONTLINE!! 1stly shes aalready been flead, 2nd am 100% shes not got fleas, no scrape or blood was taken, very dissapointed coz i just know il be back there nxt wk. She mentioned a pararasite that begins with P (cant remembername now) & asked if she was from a farm?? she wasnt! Can anyone think what it cud be shes still scratching & flaky & smelly today.x

· Registered
695 Posts
Well, not happy went to the vets & she said she cud have parasites?? but cudnt see anythin agreed she had a sweaty smell then was sent to the nurse to be sprayed in FRONTLINE!! 1stly shes aalready been flead, 2nd am 100% shes not got fleas, no scrape or blood was taken, very dissapointed coz i just know il be back there nxt wk. She mentioned a pararasite that begins with P (cant remembername now) & asked if she was from a farm?? she wasnt! Can anyone think what it cud be shes still scratching & flaky & smelly today.x
I agree the vet should have taken blood and skin scrape:( what food are you giving could be a food allergy :confused:

· Registered
2,008 Posts
That dosnt sound like they were very helpful??? Id phone back and ask what the parasite was,it all sounds inconculsive?Did you ask why they sprayed her in frontline would this kill the parasite??
If your not happy and the problem isnt any better id go back.

· Registered
744 Posts
Did you ask them to do skin scrapes? Fronltine spay kills all sorts of ectoparasites, including mites and lice which is why that will have been used. Sometimes vets will use something like frontline as a first stop and if that doesn't work, then take skin scrapes and hair plucks. This helps to keep costs down for you and is obviously less painful/stressfull to the pup (you have to scrape until you get bleeding for skin scrapes as some mites live in the hair follicles). I would see if she settles with that- it may take a little while as the itch/scratch cylce is a nightmare and if no better after the weekend look at taking her back in. :)

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Sorry, Nellie, the thread seemed to have lost its way a bit on the anal gland problem, but we are back on track now with your latest post.
Poor wee thing, and poor you. I am afraid I know next to nothing about parasites, but it seems strange that the diagnosis was made without the vet being able to see anything and, as you say, without any deeper investigations.
If it is parasites, the frontline may have helped but it will take a day or two for the itching to stop anyway, as she will have probably inflamed it further by scratching. It is so distressing for her and for you to see her in such discomfort. If it doesn't start to improve over the weekend maybe a trip to a different vet would be indicated?
Sorry - I am of no help, but thinking of you, and hoping there is a solution soon:( and maybe somebody else on here will be more able to offer some help.) and hoping there is better news soon.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hiya, shes on a all natural puppy kibble & Iv give her sardines for the fish oil once this wk too. I asked why no scrape was bein done & she said if it doesnt improve then she will, when i said she didnt need frontline she just give me a look to say whos the vet?! I Really cant afford to keep goin but dont know what to do for best? im kinda thinking to bath her this morning in teatree shampoo??

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Hiya, shes on a all natural puppy kibble & Iv give her sardines for the fish oil once this wk too. I asked why no scrape was bein done & she said if it doesnt improve then she will, when i said she didnt need frontline she just give me a look to say whos the vet?! I Really cant afford to keep goin but dont know what to do for best? im kinda thinking to bath her this morning in teatree shampoo??
Im no expert but i wouldnt bath her now shes just had frontline on as you could wash some of it off????Id leave her a week if no change phone the vet again prehaps you could speak to the vet about the money side of things and they maybe a bit more understanding?? I know at our vets its £15 everytime you have a consultation so if you have to keep going back even just for a 5min check its really expensive.
Good luck keep us posted dx

· Registered
744 Posts
Don't bath her in anything at the momet- let the frontline get to work. Most of it will have absorbed by now but frequent bathing will reduce the efficacy.
The other thing you could do is give the vets a call and see if they will give you anything to take the itch away for her- they may give you some mild anti itch meds to see her over the weekend. :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Feeling much better! iv been in touch with the breeder we got nel from and they seem to think its sounds without looking mites then infection with biting|chewing so av said to bring her back in for there vets to treat her. And to swap our vets which i agree, hopefully il have her back in a couple of days smelling nice with no flakey itchy skin! x

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I know this is an old post but for anyone reading these replies to a smelly cockapoo problem, please don't ever use human shampoo on your dog, even if it's baby shampoo because it's a different ph and will cause your dog to have really bad skin problems as well as make them irritable with itching/scratching and end up being sore. I am a qualified dog groomer with 15 years of experience. If your pooch smells and bathing isn't get rid of it and it's coming from the fur, do a sniff test and see if the smell is becoming coming stronger at the bottom area....if it is it's probably anal glands so get your vet to have it checked out and expressed. Also over bathing could equally cause skin issues especially on cockapoo's. Brush with a wire brissles daily, clean the pee area often is fine and sanitize clipping in that area will also be beneficial. If it's not that end, it could be the ears so please do regularly check and clean as floppy ears can harbour bacteria. If all fails speak to your vet because it could be something more serious like kidney issues. I cannot stress this enough....PLEASE DON'T EVER USE HUMAN SHAMPOO even baby mild shampoo is bad for dogs skin. The a mount of customers I see over the years coming in with their fur babies having skin issues and they tell me they use baby shampoo is really disheartening. It's just not worth it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts