I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George starts a puppy class on Thursday night, not sure what to expect, but think it will be good to meet other pups.Anybody else's pups joined a class yet

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Jayne, took Keltie to her first class last Friday. There were 6 other pups there, a staffie, a bull mastif, a cavalier spaniel, dalmation x and another cockapoo! A boxer will be joining us next week (that's the dog, not Frank Bruno!) It was really good, more talking than action though, I think that's just for the 1st week so that the trainer gets us to understand what we need to do. They said to bring the whole family with you so I bought 2 of the children, which I think will really help as they have to train Keltie as well. Just need to get hubby to come as he spent the weekend winding Keltie up and undoing all our training!

During training we had to sit away from each other and the dogs didn't interact at all for the hour. We had to get dogs to keep eye contact with us, and to come back to us, and we were shown how to hold them properly and to practise touching parts of them so that when they go to vets/groomers they'll be used to it. We've been given homework as well. There are 6 sessions.

Have to say, I really want Keltie to be well trained but I think that means lots of hard work and consistency for ALL the family! Keltie was quite good and the children said she was like the class nerd, did everything she was told to! We'll see what happens next week - she'll prob disgrace us!

Hope you and George have fun.

Cris x

·
Registered
651 Posts
hi jayne
our two start on the 20th but we start this Sat with a two hour lecture (no pups) the lecture is on body language....hope she cant read mine:confused: cost £55 each:eek: ****

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jayne, took Keltie to her first class last Friday. There were 6 other pups there, a staffie, a bull mastif, a cavalier spaniel, dalmation x and another cockapoo! A boxer will be joining us next week (that's the dog, not Frank Bruno!) It was really good, more talking than action though, I think that's just for the 1st week so that the trainer gets us to understand what we need to do. They said to bring the whole family with you so I bought 2 of the children, which I think will really help as they have to train Keltie as well. Just need to get hubby to come as he spent the weekend winding Keltie up and undoing all our training!

During training we had to sit away from each other and the dogs didn't interact at all for the hour. We had to get dogs to keep eye contact with us, and to come back to us, and we were shown how to hold them properly and to practise touching parts of them so that when they go to vets/groomers they'll be used to it. We've been given homework as well. There are 6 sessions.

Have to say, I really want Keltie to be well trained but I think that means lots of hard work and consistency for ALL the family! Keltie was quite good and the children said she was like the class nerd, did everything she was told to! We'll see what happens next week - she'll prob disgrace us!

Hope you and George have fun.

Cris x
thanks for that, I am taking my 17 year old daughter with me, although it's my son who prob needs it more lol. We have 6 sessions too. George is doing well, can sit on command and walks well on the lead but need to continue and this is were I am hoping sessions will help

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Millie started puppy classes in May. We had 6 sessions and it involved the following, although I can't quite remember in what order.

Using Clicker training.
Puppy interaction
Sit, Lie Down, Stay, Come, Stand.

The class was held outside in a small field and we only use the yurt if its raining.

Since then, Millie has moved onto Improvers, another 6 week course. And in Sept she moves on again to Rally training. Aparantely, she can't do Agility until she's 2 years old - a long way off.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone, really think my son should come along too as he's not very confident handling George is he gets a bit excited. Our classes are £40 for 6

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Thats a very good price. My classes cost £75 for 6, it drops to £65 for the Rally course. But then I live in the S/E and everything costs a lot round here !

If you're son needs extra bonding, then definitely take him. It will also give him something to aim for when you're home, practicing commands etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, we went to our first puppy class on Sunday and it was brilliant. There were 6 puppies varying from a chihuahua called Elvis :D to an alsation.

The first 50 minutes was inside a village hall. We all sat some distance apart from each other then the dogs were able to greet each other in the centre of the room. We did this a few times, then moved onto 'watch me' which has proved very useful this week. The trainer then held the lead of each puppy and kept their attention while we all stood at the far end of the room and called our puppy to come. For the last 10 minutes we went outside to a grassed area where we did very gentle puppy agility.

It was all based on praise and reward and the trainer is fantastic - wish she could come and live here with us for a few weeks :D It's a course of 6 sessions and costs £55. We can then move up to the next class after that if we would like to. It was a really great experience and we are all going so we can all train Biscuit at home in the same way. Best wishes, Karen x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
wow theas classes are so expensive,

our class runs continually we don't have a set 6 weeks you need to attend we charge £4 per class. but we tend to charge at the start of every month so its normally £16 for the month £24 if you have 2 dogs or attend a class on the Thursday and the Sunday. we are more about the social side and take on a lot of dogs that other classes wont take. you know some classes kick dogs out because they bark.

we have someone who has just joined us, she has been with another puppy class since her dog was a pup then did 8 6 week block at a training school and the trainers never got withing 6 feet of the dog, they would just chuck treats at her. since coming to us she is allowing us to stand next to her and the trainer john is able to take her lead and walk her round the class. she is still very shy but her owners is so much happier than what she was before, she is still muzzled but is now become more comfortable turning her back on people.

·
Registered
390 Posts
OMG Maggies classes were super cheap by the sound of it we are in wk 6 of 8 and the total cost was £20 for the classes and £10 for the club membership. We have really enjoyed the classes so far although Maggie is defo the naughtiest pup in the class! Emma x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thats a very good price. My classes cost £75 for 6, it drops to £65 for the Rally course. But then I live in the S/E and everything costs a lot round here !
Your classes sound well posh with a yurt if it's raining - how cool is that :cool:. We just have to stay outside in our pac-a-macs getting soaked if it rains. Does your trainer have a website I can look at? I fancy the idea of being able to retreat to a yurt if its raining...

·
Registered
17 Posts
olly is coming up to his 4th puppy class.week one he was so well behaved, week 2 he was a total nightmare barked and went on like a looney, week 3 excellent he did everything i told him i was so proud of him,fingers crossed for week 4 i paid £38 for 6 lessons

1 - 13 of 13 Posts