I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just got back from dropping Alfie off at the groomers and feel so guilty! She said he has quite a few matts underneath that she will have to shave his tummy. I'm beside myself! Apparently I've been using the wrong brush but also we went away at weekend and he got really wet and muddy. Think this has all contributed to the tats. Whats worrying me more is when I asked the groomer to do her best to make him look normal she just poo pooed me and said "Oh just tell people he's had an operation!!" He's been there 2 hours now and no word!! :eek:xxx

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would suggest a new groomer! What a nerve! Dylan was in a dreadful state when I took him to the groomers - full of matts and tangled. He came back with a lovely long coat and no matts and it only took 2 hours. And I know he was really wriggly as I rarely groom him and when I do he regards it as a game called "let's bite the brush". I don't think they should ever need shaving - I gave my groomer carte blanche to clip as short as necessary, but I'm sure Alfie can't be in a worse state than Dylan was. Sounds like your groomer just can't be bothered to do it the hard way. Hope Alfie comes back looking ok x

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oh NO! and to say just tell people he had an operation...that is aweful....was she going to try to work on the matts?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
oh thats not right. is that your normal groomer ? what brush have you been using?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
did she have a good feal at him, if it just mats on his tummy then they should be easiy enough with a little work to brush and cut out, maybe making him a litlle shorter but not needing to shave him. did she give a time for you to come back and get him.

youyr groomer has not costomor relation skills what so ever and if she is not the owner of the establishment you should make a complaint.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I totally agree with Kendal....what she said is rude. Poor Alfie! Hopefully he comes home looking great and they were just preping you for a worst case scinario

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

He's back! Phew! Poor thing! He's not how I would have wanted him as he's much shorter than I would have liked. Def looks more poodle than cockerpoo now :( He looks like Bambi (All long, gangly legs!!) Off to get a slicker brush now as the brush the pet shop recommended obviously no good! It was shaped like a slicker brush Kendal but not wire just hard plastic bristles.

Poor thing has took himself to bed so not sure he'll be such a willing poser in front of the camera until it starts to grow back! Think I'll invest in some clippers and have a go myself next time.....couldn't go through the trauma again!!!:( x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
remewmber the poodle ness could be the fluffy ness from the groomes.

but i have to agree the brush wont have helped, how is his tummy ?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
poor guy....Lady's poodle ness has calmed down...she looks much more cocker today! my little girl looks normal again....except for her feet.
Can't wait to see pics....I am sure he will be looking like alfie in no time

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah never thoughtof that Kendal it could just be the fluffiness from the groomers and may settle down. Now I've had a good look its not a good cut. His tummy is shaved completely and under his armpits is shaved too. He's got a little nick there too. I feel terrible he's just lay on my lap all afternoon! His head looks too big for his body!! Wonder how long till he looks normal again? Amanda is it a week since Lady's cut? I've bought a slicker brush and a comb and will be brushing him religiously from now on. I honestly didn't think he had too many matts but as said don't think wet muddly weekend in the forest helped! :( x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
shaving under the arms is normal as the mats are the worst there, i dont know a groomer wo doesnt do that

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it common to get little nicks with the shavor Kendal? Think you were right though seems like the groomer didn't even try to attempt to brush the matts out on his tummy and went for the easy option. It was the owner who was rude with the "operation" comment. Wont be going back there in a hurry! Oh well you live and learn .............He's still the same Alfie on the inside just looks a bit odd on the outside!!! It'll grow :eek: x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
the skin is very thing there, i have caue gypsy a couple of times.

i would defonetly try a different groomer, it wouldnt have been to bad if she did a good job.

i think you will always catch a dog a littlewhen grooming them. one thing i am bad for is a little bit of brush burn when brushing out matts so they dont need to be shaved, it just leaved the skin a little red like a light graze but i try to make sure i run the brush over my had so i know im not putting to much presure on the dogs skin. but it still happens sometimes.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would have gone seriously mad if a groomer nicked Dylan. And my groomer didn't shave under the arms or anywhere else and he was really badly matted all over. I feel so lucky that I found such a good groomer. Mine was a recommendation and I think that's definitely the best way to find one.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I would have gone seriously mad if a groomer nicked Dylan. And my groomer didn't shave under the arms or anywhere else and he was really badly matted all over. I feel so lucky that I found such a good groomer. Mine was a recommendation and I think that's definitely the best way to find one.
the shaved underarms just make life easier for everyonem you get some people who brush their dogs everywhere but there and with all the friction of the dog walking, running and roling the mats can get bad.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Aww, sorry the grooming experience wasn't very good.

We took Chloe in for a groom on Sunday and at first they told us she would need to be all shaved down because she was matted. I felt SO guilty because it is true that we don't brush her everyday.They told us we were using the wrong brush on her and that we were bathing her too much. More guilt! I think the groomer felt sorry for me because she took Chloe in the back quickly to test if the matts came out with a blowdry and brush and they did easily. That was a big relief! Chloe was fluffy/puffy afterwards and I really don't like that look on her. The fluffiness went down after a few days thankfully. Anyway, it was a learning experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Betty was clipped two weeks ago, the lady came to the house so I could get a sense of what went on. I felt bad cos I knew that her coat was matted particularly under the tummy. The lady did acknowledge the fact that undeneath the tummy was matted and just trimmed everything with scissors, she left in quite a few and I was able to brush these out over the following few days as her coat was shorter. I thought Betty looked very poodle for the first few days, she looked very skinny with gangly legs. The good news is that their coat grows back very very quickly so the short cut won't last very long. Next time I will ask for the coat to be left longer in places as I definately prefer her with a slightly shaggy look. The lady trimmed everything back on her face so I could really see her eyes for the first time. She now has one incredibly long eyelash, I reckon over an inch and nothing on the other eye, I think the groomer accidently cut this off, am hoping eyelashes grow back.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh Leone poor Alfie.. my groomer used to want to cut shorter than I wanted just cos I think its easier for them. I hope his nick is nt too bad he wont exactly want to go back will he. Does your Pets at Home do grooming? at ours you can see through a big window and watch the dogs being groomed if your s has one then maybe you can see what the dogs look like and if you like what you see book in there , otherwise daring to have a go with clippers might be an option. Give him a big cuddle x

1 - 20 of 27 Posts