I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back there was mention from a member that she was in private talks with the Cockapoo Club of America about setting-up a GB "arm" - I personally got the impression that the approach was to be in the vein of The Kennel Club's "elitist" mentality and challenged the motion. It was being banded about that we needed a "Breed Standard" for Cockapoo which I could not believe was remotely possible due to the total diversity of the breed anyway. However we were totally supportive of a "Code of Ethics" for breeders.
As the discussions and the implications got deeper - we did in fact set-up "The Cockapoo Club of GB" blog (linked to our own site and linked to this forum too).

Before we do anything about a club we thought it only right to put it out there and ask what YOU as potential members would actually want and expect from such a club ?

We would be very interested to hear from you if you feel a club is even needed ?

** This post has been sanctioned by Dave and we are only putting feelers out to help us work out the correct way to proceed.

** We are open to ALL opinions and suggestions however are not looking for conflict so please respect anyone's and everyone's right to their own thoughts and feelings.

As people who know us will confirm - we are open and honest with what we do and how we operate - and we would welcome any Cockapoo. As for where people search; research; buy and own there Cockapoo is up to them and we would rely on the Public to steer well clear of any Puppy Farm or Back-Yard breeder.
We believe that "information" is far more valuable than "instruction" !!!

Stephen xxx x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I am surprised that this thread is allowed when the other was taken off :confused: as we were discussing the same things you are now asking:confused:

Last time members on here already made it clear they were not interested in a breed club and didn't want to discuss it and I think it was just me and a couple of others who provided some info on what things we thought it could include.

I won't be repeating myself as my points were clearly of no interest to you at the time I made them but will be interested to see if people will now want to discuss it.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am surprised that this thread is allowed when the other was taken off :confused: as we were discussing the same things you are now asking:confused:
Last time members on here already made it clear they were not interested in a breed club and didn't want to discuss it and I think it was just me and a couple of others who provided some info on what things we thought it could include.
I won't be repeating myself as my points were clearly of no interest to you at the time I made them but will be interested to see if people will now want to discuss it.

Thanks for your comment though I do not remember anyone being "asked" what they wanted before.

This time we are asking for constructive comments to be aired if anyone chooses to do so !

Your ideas were certainly of interest though the angst on that thread was certainly not. As with any such thread - it is often how things are said more than what is said that causes concern.

Dave is aware of this thread and will watch / deal with anyone who chooses to create !

If this thread is polite and respectful to everyone who chooses to post then more people may feel able and willing to join-in - as at this stage we are only looking to gather information.

NOTE: - There is no "right" or "wrong" here - this is only brainstorming to gather ideas !!

Stephen xx

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I haven't been on the website as I hadn't realised it existed, but personally I feel it might stir up some difficulties for many of us on here who {like myself) just want to enjoy our crosses! I realise that others may find some interest and value in the organisation.
However I believe the code of ethics to be surely the same for breeders of any hue and the information is already widely available on forums such as these.
I just know that it's not for me - I just want to 'Love My Cockapoo':)
Just my thoughts!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
To be honest Stephen i dont understand it all??
Im quite happy coming on here for advice etc i do think that breeders should only be allowed to breed if theve done the health tests on the parents etc so if it means this will be inforced then im all for it.Will it mean only breeders that follow these rules will be
endorsed ? if so then that would be good for people who are looking for a cockapoo.

But sad as it seems people still dont have a clue and will buy a cockapoo without doing any research (i have two friends who have done this).So im sure it wont stop the hobby breeder still breeding without doing health tests etc .

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Im quite happy coming on here for advice etc i do think that breeders should only be allowed to breed if theve done the health tests on the parents etc so if it means this will be inforced then im all for it.Will it mean only breeders that follow these rules will be
endorsed ? if so then that would be good for people who are looking for a cockapoo.

But sad as it seems people still dont have a clue and will buy a cockapoo without doing any research (i have two friends who have done this).So im sure it wont stop the hobby breeder still breeding without doing health tests etc .
just as a note kennel breeders can breed without health teasts or licence too, not just hobby breeders. a poodle breeder got shut down in my aria because her kennel licence was for boarding not breeding.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm not sure that there is much that a club could provide that we do not already get from this forum. Possibly more organised information on the types - coat types, sizes, F1, F2 etc.
I think most of us have indicated that a breed standard is not an addition that we would welcome.
If a list of breeders and current litter availability were to be maintained then you could either only include breeders that met a certain standard, but the other option would be to allow any breeders but to include them on a comparison chart with all the relevant information eg whether they health test, what they provide as a puppy pack, their vaccination procedures, where the puppies are housed, how many litters they produce, what type of pups they breed etc. Then people could make up their own minds as to where they prefer to buy. Full disclosure and openess would then be the criteria for being included.
What do you feel would be the benefit of a club and what would we find there that we do not get here? Apologies if this was covered in the last thread, but I opted out of reading that one!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
From my point of view i agree very much with what Helen has said. it would be good to have a place to find breeders listed with the types of cockapoo they breed etc. as when i was looking it wasn't always clear if they were toys, minis etc.

would also be interesting to have pictures of the different colours available and pictures of americans, english show and working and what F1, F2, F1b etc means.

i suppose i see the benefit of a club type website would be that the info would be easily available, in an organised manner and wouldn't require joining a forum, which i can imagine isn't for everyone.

i had to search the internet to get this info when i was looking for a puppy, as i'm sure you all did, but had looked for a specific cockapoo website for info and the only real info i could find was Wikipedia!!!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We also thought that ILMC would allow everyone access to all the info they would ever need or require - though at the end of the day this is just a "forum" (a very good one at that) - but it is a group of threads that either get commented on or not - and some go off on tangents and some just fizzle out - and you may also note the frequency of some questions on the same topic. It is a "discussion" site - rarely do people trawl through to glean info.

A Club would allow the breed to evolve more and would certainly give it a little more credence - no longer is the Cockapoo a small select breed only stumbled across by accident - it is becoming widely admired and desired and many many people (house pets; hobby breeders and professional) are looking to jump on the band wagon. Lots of people are doing the research and equally lots are not. A club would be a focal point of a one-stop-shop for informative reliable information.

The forum is like a piece of string - it gets longer and not many people keep older threads going for long.

A club would be more constructed - there would be separate "constants" for things such as:

Fly-ball
Agility
PAT Dogs
Meets
Events
Photos
Advise and Information
Grooming
Health tests
Vet's Corner
Food and Nutrition
Competitions
Breeding
New products/offers

There would be a chance of developing an conclusive overview of all the variables - a gallery; size-chart; colour-chart; temperament and characteristics for EACH of the options:
A page on American / Toy crosses - a page on English Show and Working / Miniature etc etc and also actual info on whether having "Mum" as the Cocker or the Poodle has an affect.

I may be wrong but I would suspect 99.9% of people arriving at "Cockapoo" are looking for an F1 - but there are so many other "F" variables - so to actively track them and the results would also be valuable to the long-term breed life of Cockapoo.

Instead of a "post" that says "my dogs' got the runs" - there would a page that outlined the potential scenarios where a runny bum may occur and suggestions on dealing with it.

There could even be an area for people who are thinking about breeding - where all the pros and cons could be aired (and no it is not as simple as introducing a Cocker to a Poodle - not if you want to be considered as responsible).

Given that some breeders do operate behind "closed doors" - it would allow people a real overview of who does what and how.
Anyone who really does care and really does want to promote their own breeding ethics would be welcomed. This forum can give that - but you would be amazed how breeders can sign-on under several different user-names and "big-up" themselves !!!

A club or clubs will come about - we just wanted to ask people what they would want from one.

I suppose that I personally see a need and a use for such a club but I suppose that I didn't want to go off and start to set one up without at least asking what people thought - and I actually care about what people think x

Stephen x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
stephen i think all the things you suggest would be great. i like using a forum but sometimes getting the info you want can be hard. i just like the idea of a site that is for reference and info as i know when i started out looking for a cockapoo this would gave been really useful.

i love owning a crossbreed but i did find getting real info of what potential size Betty would be was really difficult and even down to getting insurance is different as they aren't always classified as such.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm not sure a club could ever get decided on, started and populated by committee or a large group of interested cockapoo owners given all the differences of opinion - it would require one or two individuals to start a website/club then people will vote with their feet - if they like what they see and feel it is good, reliable information they'll join and if they don't like or agree with the content they won't join.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We think it would be a great idea and as you say Stephen instant access to a possible solution to your problems...I (michael) would be very interested in getting involved particularly with obedience and agility etc and Jeannette would be interested in the grooming and health side of things...and with this in mind I dont think you would be very long getting volunteers to help! we just need a driving force.....JD's:):)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I think a club that is informative is an excellent idea.

When I was researching for a cockapoo I struggled to find a 'one stop shop' on the characteristics etc. I got most of my info from the web sites of professional breeders, KC cocker spaniel and poodle clubs.

I never came across ILMC until I was told about it, after I'd got my dog. It didn't appear on my listing for some reason. With that in mind a club would have to have a strong web listing.

All the ideas you suggested Stephen seem really good, Informative but not elitist or judgemental.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Go for it .. see what happens .. not sure what other large/ professional breeders will think about a standard or club as such ... but hey go for it Stephen.. you can't please everyone and it may bring all breeders together.. which would be ideal.

I don't suppose everyone loves My Dogs Life as much as I do .. but you have to follow your heart in what you love xxx

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm in too, it sounds great! xx

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Sorry dont normally argue on forums but what do you mean by it wont stop HOBBY breeders doing health tests,i for one am a hobby breeder and religiously eye test my dogs yearly,essex cockapoos is another excellent hobby breeder who eye tests her girls yearly too and jojo has already optigen tested her dogs,please when making a statement like this say BREEDERS and not hobby breeders,there are good and bad in both hobby breeders and breeders who breed on a larger scale,i am passionate about my dogs but choose to be a hobby breeder simply because i couldnt part with my girls when they retire,thats all.As for the cockapoo club,it as origianlly brought up by another member who im sure was in the middle of setting up a club so im a bit confused as to why we need another? xxx

1 - 20 of 120 Posts