I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my partner mark said i could have a puppy i was so excited. so before i had even started looking for a puppy we decided to fence off an area just outside our back door about 20ft square as my garden fences are bushes and trees and 60 ft long so fencing it all was not an option...we got some old pallets and broke them up. marke concreted in posts and i painted the pallet slats with 3 coats in the blazing sun. within a week i had decided on the breed i wanted and had found a breeder so we went to look and i fell in love with ginee....she was only 6 weeks old so we left her there and returned home to finish the fence. the breeder said to put the slats 2 inch apart... after 2 weeks it was done...and we drove to pick up ginee. later that day we took her outside for the first time and stood back proudly at the creation that was our fence. ginee went up to it to inspect it and with a look of digust walked straight between them and out in to the garden....well...i coudnt get the lock off the gate quick enough but finaly did and spent the next 15 mins looking for her in the garden before she trotted out fromunder the hedge bottom....needless to say we spent the next few days moving the 250 slats closer together which left a gap so needed more slats and paint and screws....what a palava....
and then we had to flag it cos she kept digging it up lol.
and a week later she walked straight through the gap in the drive gates at the side of the house on to the front unfenced garden that goes on to a main road. (i put chicken wire round the gates after that) my heart was in my mouth as she ran round and round and would not come back to me till i dropped to my knees in desperation and screamed her name. she turned and looked at me in shock and ran straight to me. now whenever i am upset or i shout she scurries back to check i am ok, bless her

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
oh she is going to be one to watch as she grows. lol start on her recall strait off. make sure you have that down and everything should be fine.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sounds cute! if evil. ;) Collapsing is a really good way to get dogs back around here, (Not for 'Lo, but for the new poodle) it's something we rarely do in the middle of the yard so they think we must of found something really cool, or broke a limb lol. If calling ever does't work, fake sobbing (the louder and more wrecked the better) works like a dream. Also just falling, flat and silent to the ground. Be prepared to run though if it ever doesn't work (she might realize your a fake soon) running away from her, hands up and screaming like a banshee, is another great way to get a loose dog. Though we live out in the counrty, you might get some really weird looks lol.

As kendal said, get started on a re-call! It really is so much easier then people make it out to be. When 'Lo was a pup I soaked her kibble and always had a bowl beside me, and randomly when she'd go to play, I'd say 'Shy'lo, come.' I wish I had a video of her rocketing out from under the couch lol. She has the best recall of any of our dogs today. It also had the added bonus that when she came, she always had to sit first. Then down first. Then shake first. It was training she loved, and it worked really well. If your pup is hyper, I bet like 'Lo, she'd love an excuse to run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts