I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have just picked out my cockapoo and will be getting her in 7 weeks. Unfortunately I don't think the breeder did genetic testing, but does give a 1 year health guarantee. How expensive would this test be to get and can it be done younger than 1 year of age?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Hi. I have just picked out my cockapoo and will be getting her in 7 weeks. Unfortunately I don't think the breeder did genetic testing, but does give a 1 year health guarantee. How expensive would this test be to get and can it be done younger than 1 year of age?
Sorry to be harsh but I think most people on here would say find another puppy from a breeder that does testing, I don't believe it is an expensive test and there is no reason in the world why breeders should not get it done before any mating, if people buy untested pups it makes it easier for the breeder to keep breeding without bothering and there could be a lot of blind dogs in the future, a 1 year health guarantee is very generous - but what would that cover? PRA is not likely to show up in that time and if you took the puppy home, had the test and found out they had it would you return the pup - no, I doubt it. I'm not sure what age the pup would have to be to be tested, could you discuss with the breeder the possibility of the mum being tested before you get your puppy, that way she would know if any of the pups were at risk, this is likely to show you how much they really care about the pups they are producing, I know it is really hard when you have set your mind on a puppy, quite a few have pups that were not tested but would not do that again and if you have read this thread thoroughly you will see how much everyone cares about good breeding, the breeders make a lot of money they should not be allowed to take shortcuts....sorry, rant over. Good luck

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Some of the genetic diseases may not become apparent until 3-4 years of age. It's just not worth the risk. I would find a health testing breeder and walk away from this puppy. Good breeders deserve our money much more than someone who is not testing and breeding for health.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've heard recently via another forum about a puppy who came to the owner blind. By the time it was confirmed by the vet following the new owners suspicion the breeder was saying that it wasn't blind when it left them!
Wonder if it is the same breeder ?
I know most forums have a rule of not naming breeders but how will we know which ones to avoid if we are unable to name and shame ?
Websites like Puppy Love Campaigns list them but obviously not everyone knows about this site and might not want to give the details on there

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I know most forums have a rule of not naming breeders but how will we know which ones to avoid if we are unable to name and shame ?
As long as you make sure that the breeder you are buying from does health testing, then there's not much need for name and shame - otherwise if they weren't on a name and shame list and didn't do testing and you knew another dog from the same breeder you might assume this makes it ok, when it doesn't.

The only way is to make sure your breeder values health testing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi sorry for not updating this just been so busy with life:) Anyway we had Indie's results back and all good news, they showed that she was a carrier but not affected.. big sigh of relief, she is now a healthy 18 month old bundle of chocolate joy and mine and the whole family's best friend (even though she still chews everything in sight :D) Everyone wo meets her loves her and we couldn't be without her. Thanks for everyone's help.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts