I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
At the moment Bo is on the royal Canin dried food but am still reading up on the raw route. I just wondered how you manage if you take puppy on holiday somewhere and how you manage with the frozen food? Would it defrost on the journey or how would you manage if you rented somewhere without much freezer space? Also if they stayed with someone else while you were away, would they manage with the frozen diet? Thanks.

Andrea x

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Hi this has come up before but not for a long time. If you can find somewhere with a freezer then that is great but if not then the link below could be worth considering. It is a little expensive but if you read intructions etc it works out not too different than NI. If its just for a short time for convenience then would think its a good option.:)

http://www.k9natural.co.uk/

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi
At the moment Bo is on the royal Canin dried food but am still reading up on the raw route. I just wondered how you manage if you take puppy on holiday somewhere and how you manage with the frozen food? Would it defrost on the journey or how would you manage if you rented somewhere without much freezer space? Also if they stayed with someone else while you were away, would they manage with the frozen diet? Thanks.

Andrea x
We took Flo for a weeks holiday in a rented cottage. A 1kg box of NI lasts 4 days so for a weeks holiday we took two boxes - they are the size of a tub of ice cream. They stayed frozen in a cool bag then, when we arrived, we put one tub in the fridge, as it keeps in the fridge for 4 days, and the other in the small freezer section of the fridge. If my girls stayed with someone I would partially defrost a couple of boxes then cut it into meal sized chunks and refreeze in freezer bags. I would then simply provide frozen ready meals that could be fed frozen or defrosted. Most kennels have fridge/freezers for the dogs and would be happy to feed like this too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We use an electric cool box that can be powered from the 12Volt aux in the car or mains. We were away for a week and it kept the NI frozen for the first 3 days and then chilled for the rest of the week.
We stayed in a hotel and plugged the cool box in over night and then took it out with us in the car during the day. I divide NI into meal size portions and re-freeze to make it easier.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Info for those new to NI - NI can be re-frozen but only if partially defrosted (and still icy). When I do this with a 1kg tub I defrost it in the fridge overnight then it is defrosted just enough to be able to slice into 200/250g portions. These portions should then be bagged and refrozen immediately :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
To add to Mandy's post, I defrost and slice into portions using a sharp meat cleaver. You don't have to defrost for very long about 30 minuets and the heavy blade of the cleaver just slices through (don't chop) with not a lot of effort. I refreeze the portions in small plastic containers and defrost them overnight for use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.