I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am just wondering why vets seem to differ when it comes to spaying some puppies get spayed at 6 months old by some vets but when i asked my vet about Izzie he said to wait until 3 months after her first season to allow her hormones to kick in to help her bones and growth so she will be 9 month or a year old dependending on the timing of her first season.
I have also read about this has anyone else had this advice from their vet. xxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,916 Posts
all vets differ in their opinions, I trust my vet and there for went with what they suggested. We had Lady spayed at 6 months old before her first season.
If you trust your vet, then go with what they suggest there are so many opinions on this, that there will be pros and cons to both. for us, the decrease of the chance of many cancers was enough to have it done early.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
We also chose to spay at 6 months based on the increase of mammary cancers if left after this time. 3 vet practises I spoke to said they do t at 6 months as standard. I think it's all very individual choice though so whatever makes you feel mor comfortable.

The vet also said the blood vessels are smaller at 6 months so makes complications less likely...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
You can drive yourself insane with this question. What research i did threw up fors and againsts with both practises. In the end we went with spaying before kiaya's first season. She's just had her op. at 71/2 months.(according to the vet she wasn't 'ready' before this) It was def. the right decision for us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was the reason my vet gave spaying before the first season can cause osteoporosus later and as long as she is spayed before 2yrs the risk of mammary cancer is reduced. I just want to do right by her thanks again xx:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
My vet who I have the greatest respect for want's to spey Hattie before her first season to prevent cancers in later life. I have a problem as her puppy training still has two weeks to go and when I mentioned it at puppy class you would have thought I was thinking of having her slaughtered!!! I still want her spayed before her firast season two more weeks left at puppy class then it is off to the vets as I have a trip to Badminton Horse Trials at the beginning of May but if she comes into season she obviously will not be able to board on her farm. Just hope all the days match!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top