I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a lot if you will know we've had a right time getting miss fussy pants settled on her food. After trying most of the well known dry foods we have had her settled on nature diet.

In the last couple of weeks she's gone off eating out of a spaniel bowl, wont eat off a plate, so we feed her on a doggy bowl mat!!

Now she's slowing down in her desire to eat the nature diet food.

Any ideas what to try now?

Do I change food? Anyone tried natures best? Should I get a bag of barking heads & mix this with nature diet?

Fed up xx

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Is she seriously underweight?

If not this is how I played things with Molly when I first got her - and she was pretty underweight at less than 4.5kg when her weight now is nearer 5.5kg.
I was told she was fed burns - a mixture of the pouches and dried food but she ate patchily and really not very well. I then tried naturediet and she started to eat a lot better although still not with huge enthusiasm. She then had a period of gastro-enteritis and a friend suggested maybe trying Natures Harvest as it also contained a probiotic so may be better for her stomach. She liked this and ate fairly well most days.

She has her food down for no more than 30 minutes morning and evening. If she eats if fine, if she does not the bowl is lifted and she gets no treats or nothing else offered until her next meal.

She has now gained a reasonable amount of weight so I would say she is no longer underweight. She eats her food fairly quickly most days - it has been weeks since she last missed a meal - although she missed several in the early days.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Agree with 2ndhandgal. Be stubborn and see if it pursuades her to get going again! I sometimes use a little salmon oil (fish4dogs) ontop of my girls dinner just to give it a bit of flavour. :)

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Molly certainly seems to prefer Natures Harvest to Nature Diet - but I think the most important thing is to find a food you are happy with and they eat reasonably well and then tough love and they may well miss a few meals along the way!!

Lean but not underweight sounds good and she will come to no harm from missing a few meals.

Molly was very definitely underweight when I first had her, I could feel all her ribs, spine and hop bones very easily and they would have been clearly visible if her coat was shorter and she did miss a few meals but it was well worth it to get her established as eating well. The most important thing is to decide what you are doing and stick with it - no fuss and no changes.

It is interesting to note that if my friend who has other dogs has Molly for the day and feeds her she eats whatever she is given immediately - even dried food she would turn her nose up here!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Millie can be fussy, one day eating her NI, the next totally disinterested. I sometimes vary it with Natures Menu. But again she can be fussy.

I've found lately that I either feed her a couple of mouthfuls by hand or I put some tasy cooked meat ie chicken, sausage or kibble with the food and she usually eats it. If she totally refuses to eat it, I just assume she's not hungry and wait till the next meal time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Welcome to my world with Beau :( In my cupboard I currently have a bag of Applaws (quarter eaten), Burns mini bites (half eaten), Barking Heads lamb (half eaten) and finally Barking Heads chicken (quarter eaten)!!! I have also got Natures Menu Banquet and chicken nuggets in my freezer! Every time I think I have found something she likes she stops eating if after a few meals :rolleyes: 2handgal's advice re the leaving for 30 minutes and taking away is very good and what I have started to do again with Beau as used to do it but when she still wasn't eating much I left it down all day but could only do this with the dry food and then she still wasn't eating the proper amount! I think I need to be a bit stricter with her as am probably making her fussier :( Good luck with Cara and I am going to also try all the tips above :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.