I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ummed and aghed about posting this because I'm so cross with my own stupidity. However I have deided to tell you about my scariest morning ever.

I took Millie for her usual morning walk to Verulam Park, loads of fields and a lake. I've avoided the lake all week as I'd seen it was frozen and wasn't sure how Millie would react. On Saturday last we'd walked at Casiobury Park and although we walked near the water Millie stayed away from it and listened to my No if she thought about getting closer. Although she loves to paddle in streams, she's really never volunteered to swim in deep water.

Today however, I don't know what possessed me, but we walked a little way by the side of the frozen lake. Frozen, but holed and thin looking. (Aparently there were adults on the lake at the weekend - madness).

Suddenly out of no where two coots ran across our path and onto the lake. Millie just made chase and went straight after them :eek::eek::eek: Out into the lake and scarily way out of reach. :(:(:(

OMG the fear that ran through me. I was calling her back, doing everything I could. :pray::pray::pray: If she fell through I had no idea whether I could of reached her, my mind was such a whirr. In the end, I waved a sausage at her (good old treats) and called her to me trying to sound excited rather than terrified.

Bless her cotton socks she came back to me. I was so relieved I can't describe the emotions. I put her back on the lead until safely in another field. I was shaking for ages afterwards, reliving what had just happened and dreading what might have been.

How stupid was I, I simply can't believe it. After my walk I went round to Janet (Flounder1) for a strong coffee and a lovely chat to bring me back to normality. :):)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Good one Janet with the kettle on :) what a great friend, just what you needed ... oh Julie don't be so hard on yourself .. Millie came back and no harm done .. I do know how special our cockapoos are to us .. sending you a massive hug xxx

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Poor you Julie - you must have been shaken! We're often walking around a lake and thank goodness that Biscuit started chasing the birds about a week ago as I've started putting him on lead around the lake, which up until now I hadn't done - although would have done with ice. It was really iced over yesterday with all the birds out in the middle, so I can imagine how enticing it would be for a dog. Very sadly a man told me that a dog had died there a couple of years ago falling through the ice which must have been a hideous ordeal for the owner.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah thank you everyone for such lovely reassuring comments.

I told hubby when he came in (late) from work. Firstly, he made me repeat - I must not cross frozen water to reach my dog. Then said that the chances are Millie would have rescued herself and if I'd gone to rescue her I'd have got into trouble and she'd be on the side watching me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Julie,
You are very smart to have a sausage in your pocket! Twice that rapscallion OlliePup has played "chase me" at the farm, once when I was putting him in the car, and ten days ago he bolted out the screen door out front for some reason known only to him.
Did he have a lead on? Nope. Did he follow his recall cue, no again. Did it cross my mind to go get a treat!, uh no. Does the traffic on the road out front whiz by at >55 mph? Yes it does in the day time, and even faster at night.
I appreciate your sharing your story and your fears. Each of Ollie's " escapes" lasted two minutes, tops--but without a doubt each seemed like a half hour. And both times I imagined him running to the road. When he did respond, I cried. Out loud.
So I remember to leave a slip (show type) lead at the door, carry one in my bag and leave another in the front seat--but your quick thinking with the treat is a far simpler solution.
I am glad you both are ok
monica

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Poor you Julie!! So glad Millie came back before anything horrid happened. I walked there a few weeks a ago when it was all frozen over, I was a bit worried but Weller behaved, although I am 100% sure he would've done exactly the same had two tempting coots dashed under his nose.
I also wouldn't know what to do if my dog fell through the ice, I mean I know you are definately not supposed to go in after them but instinct and panic at the time it must be hard to think sensibly.
The only good thing is that I am pretty sure of is that lake is no more than 3ft deep, so if you had had to rescue Millie then all that could have happened to you is freezing cold legs.
You are not stupid Julie, there are many of us that have done exactly the same thing. :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:Your heart must have been in your mouth....I'm glad it all ended
well and no damage done...as others have already said - don't beat yourself up
about it - we all do things that we look back on and think it was probably not the best idea!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.