I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I use Advocate too. When I asked my vet about ticks he suggested using Advantix made by the same company. Advantix, however, covers ticks, fleas and biting insects but not, as has been mentioned, lungworm! He suggested that during the tick season I alternate between Advocate and Advantix every 2 weeks. It would be overkill on the fleas but would cover the lungworm and ticks (both rife in Surrey). I've stretched it a bit longer and do the treatment every 3 weeks. First Advocate then three weeks later Advantix, three weeks after that back to Advocate etc etc.

So far no fleas, no lungworm, no ticks.

Karen x
I had a long chat with my vet last week as during a routine check and chatting about whether I'd recognise a tick - low a behold Millie had a tick on her leg. It could only have been there a day as she'd been to the grooomers. The vet said it was a small one and she showed me how to remove it and kill it - the suggestion of using a buring cigarette, as told to me by an old boy was taken as a big no no. No surprise there then. Millie then needed a nasty antibiotic injection as it had already got infected.

Millie really enjoys running in long grass and we visit the New Forest loads, ticks are a real concern. Yet the vet is concerned about lung worm as it is present in Herts. So we've agreed to give her Frontline every month for the ticks and Advocate two weeks later (monthly) to cover for lung worm, which is the killer of the two.

The vet did say however that ticks are a summer/autumn thing and I can stop using Frontline in October. Will probably start it in late April/May.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just returned from the New Forest on holiday and during my morning cuddle with Poppy found a tick :eek: While I was on the internet to find the best way of removal (have since seen the tool Col recommends) Poppy managed to remove it herself - still alive and kicking! Then had to do lots of looking at gross pictures to see if she had removed it intact - and it looks like she has (clever girl). Whilst checking her all over, found another on her tail that I accidently knocked off whilst looking for them. Think they must have been affected by the treatment as they came off easily and intact, although had obviously had a feed. Now disposed off down the loo in bleach. Yuk - nice start to a Sunday morning.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Just returned from the New Forest on holiday and during my morning cuddle with Poppy found a tick :eek: While I was on the internet to find the best way of removal (have since seen the tool Col recommends) Poppy managed to remove it herself - still alive and kicking! Then had to do lots of looking at gross pictures to see if she had removed it intact - and it looks like she has (clever girl). Whilst checking her all over, found another on her tail that I accidently knocked off whilst looking for them. Think they must have been affected by the treatment as they came off easily and intact, although had obviously had a feed. Now disposed off down the loo in bleach. Yuk - nice start to a Sunday morning.
Yuky yuk! Clever girl Poppy! Hows Daisy doing? George is a livewire at times, would love to see a pic of Daisy:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Daisy is doing great and got loads of attention on holiday. She is a really sweet, gentle pup, but a right scrapper with Poppy (have nicknamed her scrappy do). Only coughs very occasionally now. Will upload some pics later and post an updated one. Hope george doing well. :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Daisy is doing great and got loads of attention on holiday. She is a really sweet, gentle pup, but a right scrapper with Poppy (have nicknamed her scrappy do). Only coughs very occasionally now. Will upload some pics later and post an updated one. Hope george doing well. :)
Aw that's fab Michelle, love the scappy do name! George is very greedy and I think that explains why he was the biggest in the litter, looking forward to seeing some pics x:)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Last Sunday my friend visited with her 10 week old chocolate lab puppy. She hadn't had her 2nd jab so hadn't yet been out or seen other dogs and therefore wasn't at all well behaved with Luna (that's another story!). They stayed two hours. That night we got a call from them. They had just removed over 30 ticks from Holly!!!! And the next day the vet removed even more. But Luna didn't have one, so I don't think she got them from our garden but their own, as they back onto fields. And I really don't think Holly had been treated for ticks as their breeder didn't sound particularly good - if she had been treated, no way would she have got that many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor Holly - all better now and fully treated. But thank goodness Luna was ok. Just goes to show these treatments are well worth the money.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Poor Poppy but glad it was nt too much of an ordeal.
As for Holly, what a nightmare i really cant imagine, poor pup and poor owners at least they'll be prepared infuture , I'm sure they wont be fazed re the little critters now x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Think i'll be joining you Becky as Buddy was in long grass yesterday!

Im starting to itch just thinking about it (its like checking the kids for nits ,yuck i feel sick)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I checked Donna and she seems clear,but our main walk which is just near our house has loads of deer,we have had deer in our garden too so shall check her more often:eek: we went to Centre parks last year and my son got a tick on his back,yuck...children and dogs....worms,fleas,ticks,nits....lovely:rolleyes:..lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Took a tick from Rocky today (itch itch scratch scratch). It was orange, so I think from reading up, its a female deer tick. We have deer around and also walk him in lots of different places, some with long grass, at weekends. He had a tick once before...following one of our walks (Shearwater Lake, Dorset) but I was stroking him and stupidly assumed this little hard round thing stuck to his hair was a sticky bud, so I pulled on it and it came away between my finger and thumb nail. I almost threw it out of panic when I saw the legs waving about (that was a black shiny one). Anyway, either the protection (frontline) was in good force or it hadn't had time to anchor properly as it came away easily.
This one today was bedded right in tight...could see no legs or head at all. I was on my own, of course (itch itch, scratch scratch). I have some tick tweezers, which I was hoping I'd never need...so I used those. I gripped at the very base and slowly turned the tweezers anticlockwise as I've read that they go in clockwise. Sure enough, out it cam after a few slow turns, all legs and head...URGGHHHH!!!! I cleaned the entry point with an alcohol swab and snipped a little hair away so I can keep a check on the wound for redness and swelling. I have sealed the tick in a small bag as I read somewhere its a good idea to keep it somewhere for 30 days in case the dog gets sick so the vet can see it. I have written the date it was removed on the bag.
Coming on here and reading this thread, I think the tick twister sounds great and have just ordered some (under £5 from eBay). The video shows it really clearly http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=badauk1
Today's tick was on the inside of Rocky's front elbow, in a little natural dip...not somewhere easy to feel and was small too. I shall remain vigilant. Happy hunting everyone!! lol :D:eek: :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
I removed Dexters 2nd tick today - oh they're just gross!!! But i was amazed how easy the tick remover was to use - it came away really easy - but lots of fur got tangled as i twisted so i will trim next time before i use (hope theres not a next tie but somehow i think i'll be tick twisting for years)!!!!:p

·
Registered
858 Posts
Last Sunday my friend visited with her 10 week old chocolate lab puppy. She hadn't had her 2nd jab so hadn't yet been out or seen other dogs and therefore wasn't at all well behaved with Luna (that's another story!). They stayed two hours. That night we got a call from them. They had just removed over 30 ticks from Holly!!!! And the next day the vet removed even more. But Luna didn't have one, so I don't think she got them from our garden but their own, as they back onto fields. And I really don't think Holly had been treated for ticks as their breeder didn't sound particularly good - if she had been treated, no way would she have got that many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor Holly - all better now and fully treated. But thank goodness Luna was ok. Just goes to show these treatments are well worth the money.
Have just had a text from Holly's mum as we are meant to be meeting up tomorrow - but Holly is still inundated with ticks! Apparently the vet has never seen a puppy with so many before, despite being fully treated, so she is regularly at the vets being monitored. My friends are now having to treat their back garden and have banned Holly from going there so her toilet training has gone out the window, and the vet is treating her with the strongest stuff they have. Good job I've just bought one of those tick removers as it seems if a field is rife with the little buggers a dog is likely to get them (the ticks will obviously just die quicker). Just a warning for you all x

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took Ruby yesterday to a country fair. Just saw something above her eye and without thinking pulled it off. It was a white tick Ahhhh. It has its head and legs and was quite small so hoping shes going to be ok. Will be ordering tick removers right now, still scratching, me that is, yuk.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for that link. They really are horrid. Pushca's was wiggling when the vet pulled it out. Now she has a little lump were he was feeding...yuk! It had gone red too ( the tic that is ). I am on tic alert now I know what to look for, But right on her eyelid!!! poor thing.
My vet said the same re frontline tho, so can't use both

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ive just started a thread about a tick i found on Buddy today (plus photo) my vet has given me a new product which is a collar he said it was stronger and better then frontline? so im testing it ,my main concern is Buddys long fur and also he has lots of bathes.,is anyone else using it??

·
Registered
573 Posts
Clyde got a tick today - just below his eye - huge so had a good feed from him. I used a tick remover I had bought just in case - but I could not remove it - in such a sensitive area , I was pulling his lower eyelid.
I have a lovely neighbour across from me with horses and dogs and just knew she would be able to get the little blighter out - she had the O'Tom tick twisters but the tick was too engorged and she could not get a grip. SO in the end she twisted with her fingers trying her best not to squeeze so it released saliva. She got it out fully intact & before I had time to say "pop it in this ziplock bag' - she had squashed it in paper and thrown it in the fire! Ah well - just hope no repercussions for little Clyde.
I am going to ask the vet about tick prevention and will update - we are on advocate currently so need something in addition.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Clyde got a tick today - just below his eye - huge so had a good feed from him. I used a tick remover I had bought just in case - but I could not remove it - in such a sensitive area , I was pulling his lower eyelid.
I have a lovely neighbour across from me with horses and dogs and just knew she would be able to get the little blighter out - she had the O'Tom tick twisters but the tick was too engorged and she could not get a grip. SO in the end she twisted with her fingers trying her best not to squeeze so it released saliva. She got it out fully intact & before I had time to say "pop it in this ziplock bag' - she had squashed it in paper and thrown it in the fire! Ah well - just hope no repercussions for little Clyde.
I am going to ask the vet about tick prevention and will update - we are on advocate currently so need something in addition.
Advantix is the best tick stuff i have used (can be used alternate fortnights to advocate during summer).

Also (an i know this as i used to do it) try not to splatter ticks (even though its so tempting) as if they are carrying disease this can be dangerous. Nail polish remover in a jar should kill them just fine (we are advised to use surgical spirit at work if you have this instead)

I hate ticks -bleurgh!!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts