I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor baby girl was attacked today by two greyhounds!
We went to the woods for our afternoon walk and two grey hounds came towards us. They did not have a muzzle or a lead. We walked past and as we where going one of them went for Tilly and then the other did the same!
She was really screaming and they were really trying to get her. In the end i managed to get her of and up but they were still going for her and my arm( hole in my jacket). She was so scared. The owner could not control her dogs and said they have never done that before!!
I took Tilly straight to the vets as she was bleeding on her tummy.
The vet said she is ok and gave me some antiseptic cream to put on.
It was the most horrible experience, I was so shaken up walking home I started crying.
Luckily she is fine but it could have been worse. Why are some dog owners so irresponsible?

· Registered
1,318 Posts
How awful!! :( Poor you and poor Tilly. Glad she's not too badly injured.

My only advice is to get straight back out for a walk as soon as you can, preferably with a friend and their dog who you know will play nice, to make sure Tilly and you can get your confidence back.
sending lots of :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: to you and Tilly

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Oh I am so very sorry to read this.:(

What a terrifying experience and bless her she is a baby.

I'm glad she did not sustain major injuries and I hope that she doesn't become fearful when she next goes out.

Did you get any details of the owner? she should at least be paying your vets bill.

It might be worth reporting to your local dog warden? just in case it happens again and it can be noted that you have asked for it to be recorded.

Sending you and Tilly big hugs :hug:

· Registered
1,655 Posts
My poor baby girl was attacked today by two greyhounds!
We went to the woods for our afternoon walk and two grey hounds came towards us. They did not have a muzzle or a lead. We walked past and as we where going one of them went for Tilly and then the other did the same!
She was really screaming and they were really trying to get her. In the end i managed to get her of and up but they were still going for her and my arm( hole in my jacket). She was so scared. The owner could not control her dogs and said they have never done that before!!
I took Tilly straight to the vets as she was bleeding on her tummy.
The vet said she is ok and gave me some antiseptic cream to put on.
It was the most horrible experience, I was so shaken up walking home I started crying.
Luckily she is fine but it could have been worse. Why are some dog owners so irresponsible?
That's awful, I hope she's ok and not too frightened by the whole thing ... how old is she now? Can you report the greyhounds to anyone? ... where I regularly walk there is sometimes a lady with 2 dalmations who I always avoid ... they have been reported by many people as having attacked other dogs.

Unfortunately some owners are just irresponsible. :mad:

· Registered
173 Posts
That is so awful I cannot even imagine how you felt. I'm so glad you are both ok though. I must admit I am so weary when out walking. My mum's German shepherd (who's passed away now) got attacked twice by staffs and because of that I never trust them, i always worry when we come across one. But saying that it could be any breed. I get so annoyed that irresponsible owners let their dogs off the lead when they cannot be trusted 100% around other dogs. :mad::mad::mad: No doubt poor Tilly will get lots of cuddles tonight xxxx

· Registered
2,008 Posts
What an awful experience i always worry about this type of thing happening ,i would agree with others take her to a safe place with some dogs shes friends with so she can get her confidence back.

I think i would report the dogs that attacked her also as thhey could do it to someone elses dog and who's to say that owner is telling the truth that theve never done it before?

· Registered
1,254 Posts
How awful for you and Tilly! I felt quite upset reading that as I have a greyhound myself who is the most gentle natured girl you could imagine (as most greyhounds are). I wonder how long their owner has had them for? Initially, when we first got Zoe, we were advised to muzzle her when out and about as racing Greyhounds do not generally get to experience other animals (cats and small furry creatures) or indeed other breeds of dog as they are kennelled with their own kind. We have a cat, hamster, 3 rats, 1 guinea pig (used to have 4), 5 hens and 2 Cockapoos and Zoe is fine with all of them and wouldn't say boo to a goose. However, more aggressive greyhounds do exist but usually they are muzzled and on a lead. Perhaps their owner will do so in future. I do hope so.

As suggested, get out again with Tilly as soon as possible and even better with a friend. I see you live in Surrey. If you need Tilly to have a positive experience with a Greyhound then do get in touch. We would be delighted to help.

Karen xx

· Registered
4,586 Posts
You poor thing and poor Tilly, I am glad she is ok!!!
I have woked with greyhounds my entire adult life and while they are fantastic dogs, many do have a very high prey drive and a definate pack mentality.
I had a lovely greyhound who could be trusted off lead with anything and Karen, cockapoodledoo, has Zoe who is just the same but you have to know your dog inside out to trust a high prey drive breed of dog off lead like that.
I am so sorry you met such a stupid greyhound owner today.
I hope Tilly has no lasting effects from her attack and she is a very lucky little dog indeed, well done you for being able to get her out of there.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
Hi, I am so sorry this has happened to you as it is more awful than anyone can imagine. We got attacked by two Gordon setters a few months ago. Izzy was screaming, I was kicking and hitting them but they just grabbed hold of her, picked her up and started shaking her. I used the retractable lead holder to whack one and got her back. I was shaking and a passer by stopped in her car to help me, so I fully fully empathise with you. I found out who the owner was and my husband reported her to the dog warden. He was amazing and visited her the next day. Izzy wasn't hurt but very very shaken. I took her to the local kennels the next day and we put her in the field with friendly dogs so that she could begin the emotional healing process. She is still very nervous with large dogs (these things were huge and quite built). So do get her out to meet nice dogs as soon as you can. Try (difficult) not to show any reaction yourself when dogs approach as the fear transmits to your dog. Good luck, big hugs as you are feeling shocked. xx

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Hi Pops

I am so sorry to hear about yours and Tilly's horrific experience today - I think that is every puppy owner's worst nightmare.

I hope she is ok now?

Turi x

· Registered
2,590 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this :( How awful for you both!
Irresponsible dog owners make me very angry, I would definitely report this those dogs should be muzzled!
I hope this doesn't make your poor pup scared of dogs in the future :(
& I hope she is okay now! You too :( x

· Registered
3,583 Posts
What an awful experience for both of you. I hope Tilly is ok and you too.

You've had some good advice on here and wont add anything to it.

Millie met a very boistrous dog the other day who soon turned a tad aggressive. The owner just stood there not knowing what to do. I had to intervene and I must say those teeth are rather scary.

I hadn't thought to use the lead as a weapon, I'll keep it in mind.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
Oh My goodness...I am so sorry to hear this...and astonished at how this is becoming common!! Little Betty had been attacked...and Cara with Izzy they were attacked too!
This is not good. I am glad that everyone is ok...and I hope that there isn't any lasting emotional damage.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for all your messages. Tilly seems ok. I try to keep her of licking her tummy.
I will take her to the park tomorrow and see how it goes. I really hope she is not to scared because she loves other dogs and it would be a shame if this experience made her timmid! I now know to always put her on the lead when we meet a greyhound!

· Registered
4,586 Posts
You wouldn't have to if you met Karen's greyhound, Zoe, she is so soft and lovely.:)
I would hope that owner has had enough of a shock that she has learned her lesson and keeps her greyhounds on a lead fro now on.
I can only think they have been rehomed relatively recently and people don't realise how strong the instinct can be but please believe me there are many other lovely greyhounds and also many other breeds of dog that have attacked another dog. My greyhound was badly attacked by a GSD and there are a few others with the same horrible experience with other breeds too.
x

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.