I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We have had some problems with Tucker barking for the last few weeks. He is almost 4 months old and at the beginning we had some problems with him barking because he absolutely hated his crate. We then tried giving him the run of our tiny condo hallway it worked out well for a few weeks but then something switched and he began barking again. For the past week or so we have been bringing him to my boyfriend's parents house while we are at work but they are realizing that he is a lot of work and don't want to take him every day anymore. Everyday we are getting complaints from the management office of our condo so something needs to be done. We tried putting him in our washroom while we are gone to create a smaller more confined space for him but again we are receiving calls that he is barking. We are really at our witts end because we cannot afford to get evicted.

Does anyone have any suggestions to stop barking? I was thinking about trying one of those collars that sprays citronella spray. Keep in mind, that he is as quiet as a mouse when we are home.

Any help is appreciated!

Laurie

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
No personal experience of this as we waited until there was someone at home all day before taking on a dog. You could try leaving a stuffed kong for him to work on to keep him busy. They can be stuffed then frozen so they last a long while. I've also seen a timer device that will open at set times with treats or will chuck out a toy now and again that keep them amused. How long are you out as it would be difficult to keep a dog amused/interested if you work all day? Maybe some exercise or training before you leave for work to tire them out and someone to drop by and take him for a walk/off lead run. You could also look for someone local with a dog themselves who would have him during the day for a small fee or there is doggy day care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried turning the radio on and giving him a kong with a treat before we leave. We come home at lunch every day so we are probably gone for 4 hours at a time max. Unfortunately we do not have anyone to come by, and we cannot afford day care for him.
I will check out the pet store and see if they have anything like you suggested, with a timer. Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jess is now 8 months old and can still get out into the garden through the cat flap! This is not good, as she started barking at everything passing! I walk her before I go to work and am normally home by 3pm but the thought of her annoying the neighbours all day was a concern. So we bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innotek-Ant...eluxe/dp/B000ND5W4I/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_11

I know it might seem a bit extreme but it has worked. She will give a muffled bark occasionally but nothing to drive the neighbours to complain.

Before we had her, a dog nearby barks all day and drove us mad. I was determined not to add to the cacophony.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts