I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Marcus and I have found a puppy class that we’re happy with and also booked a spot with a day care company. We’re especially delighted about the latter as the company doesn’t normally cover Putney. We ‘subtly’ mentioned our best friends’ dog which is on their lists and how much our friends rave about them … flattery gets you everywhere :p

Anyway Louise, the owner of the day care centre, asked us what sort of dog we were getting – she said a Cockapoo was a great choice but had we considered a Cavapoo? She raved about them saying they’re gentle, easily trained, incredibly affectionate and generally lower maintenance than your average Cockapoo. :confused:

As you know, I like to do my research and be prepared :D and I'm shocked to learn that Cavaliers are prone to SO many health problems… Syringomyelia, Eye Conditions (BVA/PRA, Hereditary Cataracts etc), Mitral Valve Disease, Hip Dysplasia, Patella Luxation to name a few. :eek: However, I gather with careful breeding these problems can be greatly reduced even more so when crossed with another breed (i.e. a Poodle).

Marcus and I have decided to visit a Cavapoo breeder… We still think that Cockapoos are a better choice for us but need to be 101% sure.

Does anyone of here have a Cavapoo or know of one? It would be interesting to hear people’s thoughts on the two and their differences.

Turi x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yes I have one of each.
I don't see much difference in them apart from size and stamina and Milly is more of a lap dog.

She bombs around the field and can really run fast although she will tire out more than Monty but there isn't any difference in walking I have found anyway.

Milly needs just as much grooming as Monty in fact she gets more knottier than him.

I do know of a few others - one of which does agility and is a newly qualified PAT dog.

The downside is the health of the Cavaliers :(

I will post a picture and video for you to see one in action.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Shirley

Thank you for your post.

Both of yours are just gorgeous!

Yes, the health risks are a real concern. We’ve managed to track down four breeders who do all the necessary health-checks. There are so many people offering puppies online who don’t bother.

Part of the attraction of a Cavapoo is that they’re so loving. We’ve only seen Cockapoos when they’re about to be walked (i.e. excited!) – can they be cuddly at home?

Turi x

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Yes cockapoos can be very cuddly at home as well, the other day my Izzie slept right on my knee for about an hour and a half & she regularly lays on my dads belly with her paws over his shoulders as if she is cuddling him, very cute! :D Good luck with your choice :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Laura - we're both big softies and want a dog we can cuddle as well as walk/have fun with :D

Turi x

·
Registered
322 Posts
As a cockapoo owner im biased lol
Maybe someone can help, is there a cavapoo group/society, who are driving the breed forward with health standards, thats out there for people to contact.
I'm in Ealing and if you get the chance and want a cockapoo fix, try Chiswick House and grounds, all types and sizes walked there
A

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My pup LOVES to nap and cuddle up on me :D He's very very loving. Although he is very lively when he's awake :p

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Cockapoos are definitely cuddly! Daisy is quite calm. She runs around with her doggy pals but if it gets too rough she comes and stands next to me. At home she is calm apart from a bit of puppy cheekiness and just wants to be where ever we are. x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hi Shirley

Thank you for your post.

Both of yours are just gorgeous!

Yes, the health risks are a real concern. We’ve managed to track down four breeders who do all the necessary health-checks. There are so many people offering puppies online who don’t bother.

Part of the attraction of a Cavapoo is that they’re so loving. We’ve only seen Cockapoos when they’re about to be walked (i.e. excited!) – can they be cuddly at home?

Turi x
If you have found 4 good breeders that is great and worth exploring.

To be honest either dogs are gorgeous, loveable playful dogs and whatever you go for sure you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did wonder if it was a bit silly asking about a Cavapoo on a Cockapoo enthusiast forum lol!

Thanks for the tip Adam, we’ll try and check out Chiswick House!

Rufini, that’s lovely to hear. I think both Marcus and I would like a mix of loving and fun, if that’s possible.

Sarah, Daisy sounds lovely!

Yes Shirley, we’ve found one in Devon, one in Surrey, one in Lincolnshire and one in Hertfordshire. If we did decide a Cavapoo was for us we’d only get one from a breeder who health checks all their mums before each litter.

Turi x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I haven't had a cavapoo, but I did have a cavalier and he was definitely lower maintenance than Dylan, but not nearly as much fun. He was less outgoing, not as lively and not as keen on games, retrieving etc. But of course the cavapoo cross could be very different. Dylan is very high energy but will also spend hours on our lap - the minute we sit down he is there too. He is incredibly loving. I was also very lucky with the health of my cavalier, apart from the usual teeth and anal gland problems - he lived to 17. I think it is very hard to classify a whole breed with characteristics as within the breed the individual dogs will vary so much in temperament.

·
Registered
322 Posts
In fact this Sunday is Chiswick house dog show.
So hundreds of dogs of all variations.
Its where I used to "dog stalk" when we were trying to decide which breed.
And a bar!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just a thought - Billy is a cockapoo from show mum and toy dad, which will probably mean he will not grow as big and they can be calmer than a working cocker puppy. He is definitely a fan of cuddles and curling up on our knee / the sofa on an evening.
Good luck with your search. x

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Helen, thank you for your post… I read it with interest. I think it will be much easier for Marcus and I to make a decision once we’ve met the Cavaliers and their pups. In any case I imagine that either a calmer/more affectionate Cockapoo OR a higher energy Cavalier would be wonderful. I just can’t wait to have a fur-baby! :jumping:

Adam, unfortunately we are away this weekend otherwise we’d have jumped at the chance of dogs AND a bar!

Turi x

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Just food for thought Turi, regarding a breed with a poss health risks.

My friend bought a Labrador and went to great langurs to make sure both parents were tested for a low hip score. Which they were. However her lab by 2 years old has terrible hip problems and can hardly be walked.

Sometimes it's just best to go with a known healthy breed rather than try to dodge so many bullets, so to speak.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Julie

Thank you for your thoughts.

That’s so shocking to hear about your friend’s Lab. How devastating.

Being new to this I perhaps wrongly assumed that healthy background would mean healthy pups?

Turi x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

My friend bought a Labrador and went to great langurs to make sure both parents were tested for a low hip score. Which they were. However her lab by 2 years old has terrible hip problems and can hardly be walked.

Sometimes it's just best to go with a known healthy breed rather than try to dodge so many bullets, so to speak.
That is so true, and you often have to look back to the grandparents aswell which can be harder with a crossbreed.

Your poor friend and her dog, must be very hard for them both. :(

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Sadly that's not the first I have heard of this happening.

With HD it's not only genetics but environmental plays a factor such as how puppies were raised, diet and not over exercising too young.Sometimes we can do all the tests but the dogs still get things like this and must heartbreaking to see them suffer.

Has your friend tried magnetic collars to help? here is a link :

http://www.magno-pulse.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=29

1 - 20 of 57 Posts