I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Thought i would just ask a quick question regarding crates,baskets,beds etc etc! I will be getting my pup in about 8 wks time and am a little confused as to what pet bed i should have. Basically when we had our dog when i was little she just had a basket and had free reign of the house! Now i dont know whether i need a crate and a basket,or just a crate(im thinking that a crate and basket would confuse my pup??) and where is best to put this? i have a tiled utility room which would be ideal place when i go out,but wouldnt be ideal as a permanent crate/bed place as the puppy wouldnt be able to see the family from here and may be reluctant to go in there? Does the crate/or bed need to be where it can see everybody,i have a huge open plan kitchen. Also once you start using a crate do you have to continue this forever or do you replace with a basket??!!! Please help as im confused:confused:,i know i have a little time to prepare,but would be nice to know exactly what im going to do before the puppy madness begins!!!
Thanks
Becky x

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I can tell you what we have done.

We have crated her at night and when we go out since day one. with the door closed. she is in the living room. she does also have her bed which is where she goes when she wants to chill out or when we are eating dinner. she doesn't tend to sleep in her bed, but more just go to relax at times.

to crate or not to crate is a personal choice it was very beneficial for us.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amanda!
I love this forum! How cool to be getting cockapoo advice from Canada! That sounds great just wondered what everbody else does,the last thing i want to do is confuse myself and the new addition,but i guess you just go with the flow in the end.:)

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
lol yah all the way on the other side of the pond :) one of my good friends actually lives in Norwich!
just go with what works for you and your pup, it will all work it's self out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And i have relatives in Canada,im sure they come from near Ontario aswell! Thanks for the advice:) What a small world we live in,I love Norwich so pretty and we have such stunning beaches in North Norfolk cant wait to go walkies with my new friend x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I've used crates for both of mine and have found it benefical not only for them having somewhere to call their own,know the routine i.e you're going out or its bedtime but just so you can relax knowing that whilst you're not there they are safe and for that matter so is your house lol. Wilf stayed in it until he was about 18 months old and we only kept him in it that long cos we thought we maybe upsetting his routine by removing it, we trusted him not chew or have accidents along long time before this, it was 36 inch but felt he could nt stretch out properly. Anyhow we had always called the crate his bed so we just replaced it with a bed and put it in the same place and he's been fine. If i ask him to have a wee then he knows that means he's not coming with me and then just goes and gets in his bed. Mables still in her crate at 8 months and i think if no one was here she may then get bored and chew if not in one ... so she's still using it for the time being, although not left for long. They both just sleep on the settee or floor during the day... when Mable was really little the first few weeks she would go and lie in her crate. But like others have said its purely a personal choice but i could nt have imagined not having one.... good luck x

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Girls,the thick fog is clearing! I think i will use a crate until i think pup can keep herself and my decor safe, may even keep it long term shall see.Will im sure be asking a few more questions over the nxt few weeks,this site is going to be a lifeline when i get her home! x:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have crated Coco from day one, he takes himself in there when he has an afternoon nap. Also I can put him in there if too many kids are running around. It is in the kitchen where we spend most of our time. In the evening he just lays by my feet in the front room.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhhh cant wait to have my own personal foot warmer soon like Coco,how long do you keep him in there during the day?How long would you leave a puppy in one for in the first few weeks?

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Becky, I guess it depends if you work etc, at least when coco is the crate you know she is safe... if you do need to leave her :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
CRATE! if used correctly offers a "den" and security, Harley's is next to my bed and I use it at night and when I go out. I find he is happy and feels safe during the times when he is at home with me the door is left open for him to come and go and he will often go in and sleep. I am using a very large crate which I had from when I bred Boxers so I have included a little snug box inside for him to sleep in the rest is for a pee pad which he used once and his bowl and toys. it just gives him room to move around. I have then covered it with a blanket so he feels more secure.
This was his very first night and I have had no problems using it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mary,Harley is gorgeous,what a beautiful colour! Thanks for the pics,going to help me alot,where did you get Harley from he looks like a Topmac cockapoo with that red/blonde coat.:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi, we have Maisie in a crate with her fluffy bed and blanket in there. we shut the door of a night but during the day if i pop out she has a play pen around it (a metal pen for puppies and rabbits - we got it from amazon) and we leave her door clipped open) with all her toys in so she can come and go as she pleases. maisies seems very happy with this. hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts