I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. We are looking for some advice for our girl puppy, Brontie.

No. 1 - Do you think we should spey? Dont want to breed?

No. 2 - If yes at what age?

Thanks all, James & Kate (my mum) :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
personaly if you dont want to breed spaying is the best thing, but its up to you.

for me all my girls were done at 6 months old well 5 1/2 but that was advised by our vet, aparently it is ment to prevent or reduce the risc of mamary cancer, which is what both my mums cockers had when they were older. they were spayed after their first season. but ultimitly itsd up to the vet, some vert refuse to do it till the dog is 18 months old. so best talking to your vet and seeing what they say when she gets her next jag.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I say Spay for sure! If you have never had a dog in heat trust me it is not a treat. Fancy little rhyme. Anyway, also, It is also healthier and can prevent some cancers as well as puppies. I am against backyard breeding so I feel as all dogs should be fixed unless they are responsible, educated and loving breeders.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi James ( glad you ve included your mum ).... going to get mabel done our vet said about various stuff that it can prevent which is a positive .. not only the mess of being in season i dont fancy what it willbe like walking her when she is ...trying to stay clear of dogs or her desperate to get to them... that sounds like hard work . Hope Brontie's doing ok x

·
Registered
710 Posts
We have always spayed our dogs. I guess I don't even consider not spaying since we don't want to have accidental pups :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
My vet recommends it after they have had their first season, We are going to get flo done but she is about to come into her second season we think so have left it too last this time, our vet recommends about 3 months after their season is the best time,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts