I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm off the the groomers today with Maisie .... I generally do it myself but her legs are so matted I don't really know what to do with them.

Her coat was on the long side when we went away in August, and although she was well looked after she wasn't brushed or combed at all. The legs were the most matted ... I've managed to sort out the rest ... but the leg mats are so big that I think they will have to be dealt with by a professional ..... only I know that means shaving:eek::eek::eek:

Not looking forward to it ..... will to a "before" and "after" pic later. :(

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Sue ... please dont worry ... I am sure teh groomers will do their best ..

My Honey is getting matts for frequently now .. since her season I have noticed a change in her coat .. I think she may be getting slightly darker too ...I find matts all the time .. and she hates me brushing them out .. may be time she had a trim too :(

I must admit when I take them to a professional groomers next I may travel .. to Adam's or Nicoles .. if they will have my cockapoos .. as I would like to blog about my dogs professional grooming experience ... and of course meet Adam and Nicole too :)

Oh its all good fun in our crazy cockapoo world, matts, grooming and lots of cockapoo chat xxx

Sue, I will check back later this evening for a Maisie before and after xxxx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi sue
Just chat to the groomer and see what options you have.
It is a shame but long hair does Matt easily.
Suggestion would be keep in a slightly shorter coat rather than from long to clipped back.
It will pay dividends with the wet weather coming!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi sue
Just chat to the groomer and see what options you have.
It is a shame but long hair does Matt easily.
Suggestion would be keep in a slightly shorter coat rather than from long to clipped back.
It will pay dividends with the wet weather coming!
Thanks Adam, I do tend to keep her coat slightly shorter now but have to admit the legs had escaped my attention for a while :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Jojo
Your grooms will be free of course!
Ax
Ahh Adam ... that is so nice :) I am really flattered .. thank you so much ... I will bring Picnic along for her first cut .. and blog the experience too ...

I will bring some naughty cakes .. you put the kettle on and we can talk Cockapoo.. as we do it so well :)

You have made my day.. thank you xxx

G

·
forgive me for my ignorance , are cockapoo coats easy to brush ? im ok with a brush but no where near competent enough to make it look nice .. we would use a professional groomer (like i did with millie my westie) but can you brush a cockapoo daily ?
j x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Julie,

I am not a groomer so others on here will be able to help as professionals....

But as a puppy it is good to have lots of brushing and grooming just to get them used to it, your puppy wont matt, well not yet :) ... I brush my puppies 3 times a week just for the contact and 1:1 time, plus bathing at home is easy when they are small and gets them used to it too ...

Adult Cockapoo coats can matt, the hairs intermingle and forms knots, these can be brushed out if found quick enough, but sometimes cockapoos need to be cut as matts become a never ending battle lol.. I brush Honey all over .. she is matt free and two days later I find one .. grrr ..

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
forgive me for my ignorance , are cockapoo coats easy to brush ? im ok with a brush but no where near competent enough to make it look nice .. we would use a professional groomer (like i did with millie my westie) but can you brush a cockapoo daily ?
j x
cockapoo coats need brushing dayly or atleast once a week a full brush and comb through the coay to get all the nots. a puppies coat is a drem to work with untill around 7-9 months old then the coat starts to mat and you realy need to put in the work. very few people keep a full coat as it takes alot of work. most stick to comfort a convenient clips that are fairly short.

if you never brushed your cockapoo between groomes the groomer would probably just have to clip them very short every visist for the sake of the dog. but if you put in the work you ccan keep a slightly longer coat.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sue ... please dont worry ... I am sure teh groomers will do their best ..

My Honey is getting matts for frequently now .. since her season I have noticed a change in her coat .. I think she may be getting slightly darker too ...I find matts all the time .. and she hates me brushing them out .. may be time she had a trim too :(

I must admit when I take them to a professional groomers next I may travel .. to Adam's or Nicoles .. if they will have my cockapoos .. as I would like to blog about my dogs professional grooming experience ... and of course meet Adam and Nicole too :)

Oh its all good fun in our crazy cockapoo world, matts, grooming and lots of cockapoo chat xxx

Sue, I will check back later this evening for a Maisie before and after xxxx
If you come all the way to Nicole's to get your dogs groomed I'll be offended if you don't drop in for tea as I'm only down the road :D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Gosh Sue how small will Maisie look if she gets sheared! I hope you have a sympathetic groomer prepared to put in the time. One of Izzy's grooms took 4 hours because of the matting and the groomer made it clear to me she would not be doing that again and shaved her at the next groom. Must admit it has been easier to care for and we are off for another groom tomorrow - hope i have passed the brushing test and Izzy doesn't get shaved again. Await Maisie pics with anticipation. xxxx

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh gosh!... just off there now! She's quite well brushed and looked after except the legs .... so am expecting a cockapoo on sticks! Will post pics later! Sue x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back now from the groomers and am actually very pleased .... she looks all puffed up, as they do after grooming, but although she cut mats from her legs and they are very short in places, she also left longer bits where possible.

So the bottom half of her legs is uneven but never mind .... she is now mat-free! :whoo::whoo::whoo:

Here are the pictures:

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
OH! they did a great job!! not sticky at all, poofy yes, but that will calm down...Lovely!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Fluffy is fine .... that will settle ..

I think she looks great ... she is rather dinky and cute ...I just like her anyway ... regardless of her hairdo... :)

You must be happy though .. its a great job and no matts ... perfect and practical .

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
She looks lovely! It's always a shock when you collect your dog from the groomers as they just look so different as their coat looks so straight!!

x

1 - 20 of 30 Posts