I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone have advice on what I can do to help my little Mia learn that she must tell me when she want to go to the toliet. There's no signs given from her, so I want her to bark tell me somehow.

Mia is 4 months old and she will go to the toliet outside if I let her too. I litterally stand in the garden with her saying the word toliet and she squats on command and wees. Excellent.

She will also sometimes go outside on her own and do it when the urge takes her if the back door is open, so it's not all bad.

The trouble is, it's getting colder so I don't want to leave the door open all of the time. I take her out as often as I can but she still wees inside if the doors closed. Then looks at me like she doesn't know what the problem is. I can even take her for a walk, she'll do a wee whilst she's out, then come back in doors and do another one inside straight after the walk.

I've been told that puppies should be able to hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month old they are, which means 4 hours in Mia case, but I don't think she can hold herself for longer than 2 hours and she doesn't seem to have the knowledge that she should hold it in, it just comes out whereever she is, whenever the urge takes her.

I praise her like a mad women when she does it outside, so she knows this is good and tell her off (not harshly) when she does it inside, but nothing has improved.

I also don't get up in the night to let her out, so there's always a puddle of wee for me in the morning, so I'm going to start getting up during the night to help her understand that she needs to wait, but what else can I do?

Any little jems of advise for me anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Vicky. Sounds like you've done well so far to teach her to wee on command. That's the biggest thing. I was in very much the same place that you are, at the same age. For me, I just tried to remember to let Dylan out every couple of hours during the day, which did the trick, but I couldn't stop him weeing and pooing at night until I brought him upstairs to our bedroom to sleep. Downstairs he had the run of the house and always found somewhere to go. Like you, I won't get up at night - I like my sleep too much! Do you crate at night? I don't crate, but I do accept that those who do may find it easier to toilet train. If you don't crate, then restricting the area she has at night might help, or moving her somewhere where she never wees, like we did.
For daytimes, some people on here have successfully used a bell at the door, teaching their dog to ring the bell when they want to go out. Hopefully one of them will post on here and tell you exactly how they did it. Just to reassure you - she'll get there soon - they all do. I still had an occasional accident maybe up to 5-6 months or so, but it sounds like you're nearly there.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
wind chimes hanging from the door, iv never actually used that tip but heard it works.

you need to it the chimes every time the back door gets opened so they learns the the chime means the door will open and they learn to hit or nose the chime.

Inca didn't cry at the door till she was about 2, i remember being very confused at why i could hear crying so fallowed to nose and found her in the kitchen, she then jumped up at the door and cried more. and has done that ever since.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Beau is 5 months and only now has got the hang of what to do when she needs to wee etc. She now bounces of any door that is near to us until we stand up and then she runs to the back door! We had until she learned this taken her out every hour as the puppy trainer told us not to leave the door open as it is then one big wide world and she wont learn how to show me she needs to go out and think she can wee anywhere :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
We have had Biscuit for 5 days now and have spent most of that time leaping up and going in the garden!!! As soon as she wakes up from sleeping, after play, after a drink, after food, if she is sniffing around etc etc. We say in a very excited voice "Outside" then go out of the kitchen door with her and up the steps to the grass. We then say "Quickly" as she does a wee and give her lots of praise the second she's finished. This is what Lucy the breeder was already doing and we have carried it on.

We keep the kitchen door closed at all times as we wanted to be with her to give the praise when she wees. Already she goes and sits at the door looking out of the glass into the garden when she wants to go out. Today we had a bark to let us know!

She goes completely bonkers before doing a poo :eek: She charges around the garden, biting any plants that dare to get in her way then always goes behind a plant for the event!! Again, lots of praise the second she's finished.

It is exhausting taking her out so often (especially with all this rain we've been having), but "Quickly" always produces a wee and, so far, we haven't had any accidents in the house ... probably jinxed it now!!! Best wishes, Karen x

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our trainer told us to do this 'quickly' business when we see her wee and then praise her. At what point do we attempt to say it to try to make her wee? as i dont want to confuse her - we've been doing it for 2 maybe 3 weeks so far. Also Pippa seems to do most of Poos in garden (except odd one - one was in my husband's office this morning at which point he shouted the dog had to go!??!! - it was quite funny though!)) yet she does lots of wees inside still?? AND have started to take her out for her first walks and she hasnt yet pooed in public??? Any reason for this? - i even took her out for a walk straight after tea and she still didnt poo??? Any help / advice / opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
With both our previous dog and Beau we keep saying the command for wee and poo whilst she is doing it and somehow it just seems to click and now we go in the garden with her and say it and she knows she has to go to the toilet! Beau is 5 months and we have now had a week or so of her actually telling us she needs to go by bouncing off any door in the house until we stand up and then she runs to the back door! She has only done two poos outside of the garden and one of them was in front of the Cornwall Pasty Shop in one of the busiest places in Norwich today whilst my 17 year old daughter was holding the lead - she was really embarrassed (Madeleine not Beau) which made it even funnier!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts