I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a dog have too much bone?? Betty is currently fed NI which has bone in it but I also give her a bone most evenings as it distracts her from scratching...is it possible to OD on bone?? You can certainly tell when it comes out the other end:D:D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I think I read somewhere that too much bone can constipate a dog sometimes. I guess its based on the theory that it firms up the poo and helps with blocked anal glands and therefore you could possible end up with too much.

But if this is true and I'm not just making it up (which is a possibility :eek:) I don't know how much is too much.

Does Betty go through a whole bone each evening, or is she working her way through the same one?

:D

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi Colin,

The "bone" (and / or chicken cartilage) content of the purer BARF diets can lead to very firm pooh - and rarely constipation (especially if a veg mix is offered to) - though normally only if kept on such a diet.
Most BARF diets from the likes of NI (and "Natures Menu") make sure that they have enough "veg" in the mix so should not cause a problem.

We feed raw chicken carcasses and add "veg mixes" in every fortnight or so (depending on how the dogs act) - as if we are out in the paddock and they start eating grass (or grass roots) - I'd certainly prepare a veg mix that evening.

I personally don't think that you would have any worry with NI ongoing - other than them getting bored with the "baby food" consistency - so a mix of hard and soft in alternating meals may be a good idea to try (appeal to the dog's natural need to eat / chew - a la EMRA outlined on the CCGB site).

Stephen X

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I give her a ham bone....it usually lasts about four evenings....I take it off her once it becomes too dry or sharp. She has no problems with constipation...a combination of yumega fish oil and her medication see to that!!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
LOL Julie X

Colin - with the likes of a hambone - I would have thought the the primary interest is all the meat and sinew that is still on the bone - after that I'd say the marrow-bone was the next target - so the actual "bone" element doesn't get much of a look-in. An odd nibble / gnaw to the edges (to sharpen teeth) is a good thing - but dogs shouldn't feel the need to eat "bone" - so Yeah - I'd freely give them a hambone to nourish more than just a "food" element of them being a dog - and leave it with them until such a time that the "bone" left-overs can be binned. They are not likely to OD on bone X

Stephen XX

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Can a dog have too much bone?? Betty is currently fed NI which has bone in it but I also give her a bone most evenings as it distracts her from scratching...is it possible to OD on bone?? You can certainly tell when it comes out the other end:D:D
Yes too much bone can cause constipation. If her poo becomes really hard and she is struggling then maybe give her a few free days of not having any. Having veg and the oil will obviously be more helpful in that dept too :D

As NI is a balanced meal and you are just supplementing her with a bone as a treat lasting over a few days than this shouldn't be a problem.

All dogs are different and some can have more of one food than another. It's really is unfortunately when feeding raw/BARF about checking the Poo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I gave Archie a Ham bone last weekend which he totally loved and demolished within a couple of hours. He burried the rest in the garden, (which was literally the middle part minus the ends and nothing left on it). 2 days later he was heaving but I dont know if he was sick(may have eaten it! :eek:) and was off colour all day and just miserable. The next day I took him to be castrated and the vet refused to do it because he had been off colour but also because he had a very tender tummy to the touch - He cried alot when she felt him but had no temperature. She blamed the bone, and on inspection of his poo later that day I noticed it was rock hard pebbles a different colour to normal and the next lot was slightly crumblier. He was struggling to go and squatted 2 or 3 times on one walk which he never does. Normal it's one poo and he's done.:eek:

I am pretty sure this is the bone that has done this and the fact that he ate every single part of it. I think the end bits are the main culprite (spelling!)as I couldn't get to him fast enough to get it off him and he swallow it almost whole I think.

I got a lecture from the vet again this morning when I took him back to have his bits chopped, about bones and how they are not good for dogs but I said I would not be stopping giving him the odd bone but that I would take it off him after a while and make it last longer rather than letting him devour it in one. She replied ' well the next time I see you then I'll be operating on Archie to remove splinters from his inside'!!! - So rude..

Anyway I WILL be giving Archie ham bones again, however I will make sure it last longer than one day and will watch when he is down to the last end bits,,,and after reading the above I will add some veggies to his dinner so he doesn't struggle to go.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
A "veg mix" added into the feeding rota can be a geed idea (think there is a thread on my BARF diet I do) and of course if you fancy - then raw sprouts with Natural ProBiotic yoghurt can be a good detox (I used to do steamed sprouts but it was a "No Naked Flames" affair first thing the following morning !
Another alternative is to give apples (minus the pips) as a treat - they can have a suitable "freeing-up" effect too.

Stephen X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.