I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every time my back is turned Dexter makes a run for the stairs and has now managed to get to the top no problem. Last week I carried him up to show him round incase he thought he was missing something and he didn't seem bothered with anything. We don't really want him going upstairs and could get a stairgate but I was wondering whether it is best to train him not to go up. I would really appreciate hearing what everyone else has done and what training works best.

Thanks for any advice I best go and get him down again!

Alison::(

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We have a wooden stairgate at our lounge door preventing our dogs from accessing the hallway, therefore the stairs, my son's room and the front door. I can't be doing with holding back an enthusiastic pack of dogs whilst trying to open the front door! My dogs have full access to the lounge, kitchen and conservatory - plenty of room. :)

Karen x

·
Registered
206 Posts
We've put a stairgate in - it's the only way to keep the upstairs out of bounds!! Also have a stairgate across our second sitting room where the kids have playstation so they can go in there for some peace from the beast. Best wishes, Karen x

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have this problem now too. All fine using a stair gate. I'd even left it open and Pixel had stayed down. However, the other day Pixel discovered that she can slip through the bars of the gate and now she comes upstairs if she feels I've been away too long. I feel like I've gone backwards with her now as she never used to come upstairs. I've put her in her cage three times when she's come upstairs but she's has carried on coming up.

Stair gates are good but make sure you get one that she can't squeeze through.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My hubby originally said, no upstairs, not on beds, not on the sofa, but definitely no stair gate ! :talktohand: :D

Sofa rule lasted all of 10 mins :)
I wanted Millie upstairs to keep my youngest son company on his bed, so I won that :D
And once we stopped using the crate we let Millie sleep on the landing outside our bedroom door :D :D

All in all, she's allowed upstairs and her bed is nice and quiet away from the madness of the rest of the house, when she wants to be alone :D

I wasn't much help to you was I :eek:

You could try the stay command, with clicker training is easier, but you have to work in very small stages. ie get Dexter to sit at the bottom of the stairs you sit on step up and gradually move up one step each time. You need about 5 consecutive 'stays' on each step before moving on/up. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs because of my 2 year son so it will just stay. When I have left it open and gone up Coco still sits on the bottom step waiting

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I can't resist Betty coming up for a morning cuddle on the bed ( according to
the trainer this is very bad as It allows them to think they are on equal terms etc... ) but it's just one of those things that for me makes having a dog so
wonderful.I have no kids in the house so not a big issue for me...

·
Registered
242 Posts
hi a stairgate is a good start untill they have learnt to sit and stay and then its just being stricked about it really, im like julie i like my wispa upstairs with me so im not much help either sorry :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
We have a stairgate also. If I go upstairs and then someone else leaves the gate open (grr) Max comes up to find me.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I can't resist Betty coming up for a morning cuddle on the bed ( according to
the trainer this is very bad as It allows them to think they are on equal terms etc... ) but it's just one of those things that for me makes having a dog so
wonderful.I have no kids in the house so not a big issue for me...
Me thinks, that with what Betty Boo and you have been through, she deserves to have cuddles on your bed :D :hug: :D

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Take him upstairs and bath him! Only let him go upstairs when it's bath time :D He'll soon get the message that upstairs means bath.. lol.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Our sitting room is upstairs (we're using the kids room downstairs just now) and eventually, when Izzy is a reliable with toilet training we will take the dogs upstairs, it's then a slippery slope, my daughter is desperate to have the dogs sleeping with her! :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
She's beginning to get it. I stand on the other side of the gate when going up the stairs and say'down' firmly as she knows this command and no. I do this a few times as I go un the stairs and then when I am upstairs I keep going back every so often and saying it again. When she doesn't come upstairs and I go downstairs again she gets lots of praise and a puppy treat. When she does come upstairs I take her back downstiars and she gets no with my arms folded and i show her two fingers as she knows this is a warning that she will get a tap on her nose if she carries on. Then if she comes up next time I go upstairs she gets three taps on the nose followed by a no and she is ignored.

Working so far!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
God i let Buddy go anywhere in the house,mind you its everyone else in the house that ive been teaching not Buddy lol
(dont leave shoes out,keep bedroom door shut,no toys left on floor downstairs etc etc)
He only wants to go upstairs if ive gone up there but i keep all the doors shut and he soon gets bored,if im in the kitchen he usually just sits near my feet (ive tripped over hima couple of times!)
Must say i pop him in the crate if i need a shower etc im sure he'd try and climb in there with me given half the chance!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts