I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My pup cooper is now 11 weeks and we have recently started leaving him alone in the sitting room for the night as the vet has advised this. I slept on the couch for the first 2 weeks. He is doing great, cries the odd time when I close the door. I come down to bring him out two to three times and he seems to hold his pee quite well for a young pup. We are crate training him but we don’t lock him in as we are okay with him roaming around knowing he has other spots that he prefers in the sitting room. He is not destructive at all. I was wondering has anyone crate trainer their pup and then transitioned them to a dog bed and if yes at what age? I attempted this but he prefers downstairs as I rarely bring him upstairs yet and when I did he was biting his bed and then started crying.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My pup was crate trained and slept in her crate (closed) in my bedroom, when I knew I could trust her overnight so around 6 months I left the door open and she continued to sleep in her crate. If she had been in a seperate room from me I would probably not have trusted her with the door open overnight until around a year when I knew she would not chew anything.

I also gave her a seperate bed but she continued to mostly choose the crate for a long time until I decided I really wanted the space back and took it away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pup was crate trained and slept in her crate (closed) in my bedroom, when I knew I could trust her overnight so around 6 months I left the door open and she continued to sleep in her crate. If she had been in a seperate room from me I would probably not have trusted her with the door open overnight until around a year when I knew she would not chew anything.

I also gave her a seperate bed but she continued to mostly choose the crate for a long time until I decided I really wanted the space back and took it away
Thanks so much for replying love your dog!! My pup is okay with the crate open he doesn’t destroy anything when left alone but when I did show him his bed he chewed it and didn’t feel comfortable in my room. I think when the time is right when he’s a little older I’ll bring him to my room more often and hopefully he will not be chewing his bed then!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts