I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the 1st time you took your puppy/dog on a holiday with you?

What was your experiences?

Any positives/negatives you would like to point out about traveling with your dog?

We are planning our holiday for next year and we are trying to decide what type of trip we should take. Pinto will be just turning a year old right before we go away so I wanted to ensure we choose a good option for him.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I took mine away for a week at five months. He was in between puppyhood and the dreaded adolescence so was fairly easy to manage. The downside was the holiday let we stayed in said it had a secure garden and it was far from secure so I always had to be out there supervising. He always travelled by car very well so went from Suffolk to Devon with no problems at all. Just stopped for a pee when we did!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We had our first 10 day holiday when Arlo was about five and a half months and he was fine, he had been away for a few weekends before that. Funnily enough my dogs always seem to be better behaved on holiday, I suppose they are interested in their new surroundings. On long journeys we try and find a park for a walk half way. I am sure you will have a great time and Pinto will make it even more fun. Are you thinking of a coastal holiday? We always check before we book holiday what beaches in the area are dog friendly and how many dog friendly pubs and cafes there are.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts

We went to Cape Cod this Spring with Rufus who has travelled with us from the get go. My top tips are

Stay at a chain hotel, not an inn or B and B, too much stress otherwise.
Bring water from home and replenish it as you go to help adjust a sensitive tummy.
Bring a sheet/blanket to protect bed/chair/car.
Make sure phone # on his tag is a cell #.
Bringing some pre printed "lost dog" posters with pic and all pertinent details and room to add more info is an insurance policy that will ensure you will never ever lose him.
Ask dog people you meet about the local customs. Many places that post no dog signs are never policed and locals will know where you can go for fun.
We always bring a backpack style picnic set with us, it gives us the flexilbity to eat anywhere with him, even the car or hotel if the weather is awful.:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
We took Lucy to a cottage in Cornwall when she was 4 1/2 months and she had a lovely time. She travelled really well.
We stopped off overnight in Devon in a B &B on the way down and unfortunately dogs weren't allowed in the breakfast room and Lucy had to be left alone for 30 minutes and howled outside the whole time and knocked the heads of all the flowers in the garden! Dogs are no longer welcome in this B&B and I think it's probably down to Lucy.
On the way back we stopped off at a different B&B but this time I checked that she could come to breakfast with us and she was fine, really well behaved.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
...and that is why I said never stay at a B and B.:) In chain hotels everybody is an employee so they don't stress about dead heading flowers and such. We never leave Rufus in a hotel room by the way. Simply too much risk he'd make a racket if he heard a noise in the hall.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
The second B and B was fine because they set up a breakfast table for us in the lounge area and Lucy came in with us. She was really good in the room with only the odd bark when someone walked past.
There were 2 other dogs staying there and their owners put them in their car when they went to breakfast.
When I booked a month earlier I thought I would have trained Lucy by then to spend 30 minutes on her own in her crate but that never happened. This is the dog that has to go to my mums if she has to be on her own for more than 5 minutes! In fact 5 minutes is pushing it.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
We've done the car thing too, briefly, if the weather is not too hot or too cold. But it does not make for a very leisurely meal. Best is room service. :)

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Dudley was around 5 months when we had our first holiday with him, in a campervan, all pretty good, he did bark a little when he heard others barking but that was about it, we did a couple of rest stops as was a 7 hr'ish journey. Generally they are happy if they are with you wherever you go and whatever you stay in. We stayed in a very dog friendly B & B recently but we did go separately to have breakfast as he is more like to cry/bark when we leave him if he has been sleeping in the same room as us, he is fine being left at home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts