I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just spoken to breeder and arranged to pick our little girl up this Saturday morning - how exciting. And then suddenly I become scared that we're not ready!

We need to get puppy toys and a bed to go in cage, I know we should have done it sooner but I was scared to in case something went wrong.

Please tell me if there is anything else I will need for the first week or so that I may not have thought of. Breeder is sending me email with all details but you guys are so good thought I'd pick your brains as well.

Cris x:jumping:

PS: Don't worry I'll be putting photos up asap........... :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Just the usual, crate, bed, drinking bowls, a few soft toys, comb & brush.

Most things you can buy as and when you need them, which is a lot of fun.

When you first get your puppy she'll just need lots of cuddles, company and love. Its a big wrench coming away from mum and siblings.

Apart from that, thoroughly enjoy :D

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
..........and breathe ! x

The basics you need to have in place are:

A crate (ideally 36" long - but that is upto you / you have seen the threads on crates).

3 pieces of Vet-Bed (each cut to the size of the base of the crate....1 to be in use / 1 to be ready to use / and 1 in the wash !) /and some old newspaper.

I hook-on water bowl.

I bowl for food.

If you wanted to go further then you could already have an Easidri towel to hand (check threads on grooming).

Your breeder should ideally give you a "Puppy Pack" - it can vary depending on what your breeder offers - but ideally it should contain some of the food the pups were weened onto (enough to last you a week is good). They should also ideally give you a doggy toy (that has the scent of the litter on it - for comfort). Your pups vaccination card (usually with the first vaccination done following it's vet-check) and most include at least 4 weeks free pet insurance.
(Ours is all of the above + all our pups are micro-chipped / they come with a sample of both Tropiclean Shampoo and the De-Tangler / 400g bag of Orijen food / my contact details for aftercare advise if needed and our own "Idiot's Guide" to puppy ownership - though I think you already were sent one of them).

Sooo looking forward to pics !!!

Stephen x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dont spend lots on a bed as she will either grow out of it quick or will chew it to bits.

trust me you will end up buying things that you will never use.

other than that just have fun, and take photos lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, enjoy every minute, lots of pics - it's such an exciting time!

Makes me want to do it all over again........!:D

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Also...

The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Pup...722X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309473318&sr=8-1

A ball end slicker brush to get puppy used to being brushed. Just get a cheap Mikki one till you figure out what more expensive grooming stuff you need/want.

Get Off spray to take away the scent from any accidents indoors so they don't go back to the same spot.

Cheap nylon snap on collar and lead with an ID tag that has you name, telephone number and address on.

Old towels and cuddly toys that puppy can snuggle up with at night - do check regularly as Flo ate a toy dogs nose!

Old towel or blanket to throw over crate to make it dark and cosy in the day or early evening.

Pack of baby wipes for getting them used to having ears gentle wiped and keeping face and bottom clean if they get in a mess.

A few puppy chew toys for teething and other toys for playing - try stuffing an old sock with newspaper then tying a bit of dangly, knotted rope at the end.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Just been to Pet shop and have bought a small bed with a couple of fleecy cushions, some toys and a pet comb. Also bought some puppy pads but unsure whether to leave one in her crate at night as I've put newspaper down?

Also can she have any treats yet as most of the ones I saw in the shop were for 12 wks and over?

My children want their friends to come over and see her, is this okay, assuming if they have a pet it's been fully vaccinated?

Should I put her out on the grass straight away in the mornings to get her used to wee wees outside - we are fully enclosed?

So many questions, so little time left? The breeder will give me lots of info tomorrow but I'm sure.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Yes - put her outside in the morning (do it when you would normally get up - as you need to start as you mean to go on) - if you normally get up at 7am (an example) then put her out then (valuable point is to be as "normal" with your daily life as possible - as the pup will learn "you" better that way) - though this is just a suggestion (that we know first hand works).

If you can stay with her for a while when you put her out (on the grass) for as many occasions as possible - then if you catch her doing a wee or poo - you can praise her (an enthusiastic "GOOD GIRL" will work wonders). This shows her that going outside is OK - it's a good start to house-training (a la JD !).

As for friends and relatives - everyone should be OK as long as you know that their pets have been vaccinated.

Stephen x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
you sound well organised to me .. with a little help from all the I love my cockapoo friends above posts, just enjoy :)

wish I was getting a new puppy tomorrow ...

cant wait to see little keltie xxx

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nylabones are good for young pups to chew on and you get small ones specially for puppies.When collecting a puppy i always take scented nappy sacks and baby wipes just incase you have to mop up any accidents on the way home and a large thick towel is ideal either if pup is on your lap or in a crate on the way home because it absorbs wee a lot more than a blanket,how exciting !!!!:)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I prefer using puppy pads to newspaper as the puppy pads absorb the wee really quickly. When I used newspaper with Flo it didn't soak up the wee so after she'd finished she would often step in it get wet feet then walk it over the floor.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mandy, how often would you change the puppy pad - does it have to be thrown away once the puppy has peed on the pad or can they do more than one pee on it - sorry to sound stupid, but I'm likening it to a nappy I suppose and I might be on the wrong track!
:confused:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Puppy pads are great ... really absorbs the wee quickly and yes you can leave it down for as long as you like, I found it much better than newspaper.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Mandy, how often would you change the puppy pad - does it have to be thrown away once the puppy has peed on the pad or can they do more than one pee on it - sorry to sound stupid, but I'm likening it to a nappy I suppose and I might be on the wrong track!
:confused:
You don't need to change them each time they wee, in fact it's better to have a bit of wee on them so they know to go back there next time. Maybe just use a fresh one each day and when you get a fresh one out press it on the used one so it has the scent on so they wee on it again. I found a great shallow seed tray at the garden centre that was exactly the same size as the pad to put the pad in as she sometimes went to the pad but wandered off a bit and missed. When it was in the tray she didn't 'miss'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts