I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very good with Lola's daily brushing so far. The last week has been a bit of a blur due to other things going on and my brushing routine kind of went out of the window........
I have just attacked her with a slicker and a comb and it took me about 20mins to get her knot free. It usually takes 5 mins but it seems her adult coat is coming through and is much thicker than that lovely fluffy puppy coat :eek:

I already have a grooming table and various combs/ brushes and i am about to order a H frame restraint and clippers.... what else would you guys with adult poo's suggest??

What is the 1 piece of your grooming kit which you couldn't be without?

Thanks in advance,

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I have been very good with Lola's daily brushing so far. The last week has been a bit of a blur due to other things going on and my brushing routine kind of went out of the window........
I have just attacked her with a slicker and a comb and it took me about 20mins to get her knot free. It usually takes 5 mins but it seems her adult coat is coming through and is much thicker than that lovely fluffy puppy coat :eek:

I already have a grooming table and various combs/ brushes and i am about to order a H frame restraint and clippers.... what else would you guys with adult poo's suggest??

What is the 1 piece of your grooming kit which you couldn't be without?

Thanks in advance,

My groomer :D:D:D

Sorry Katie not very helpful but you should hopefully know my SOH by now!!!:p

· Registered
3,015 Posts
My groomer :D:D:D

Sorry Katie not very helpful but you should hopefully know my SOH by now!!!:p
Or at least a second pair of hands...I have a very wriggly poo..

I have spent a fortune of brushes / matt busters etc... I have given up trying to get bad matts out now and just snip them out. Betty is a bit lumpy and bumpy now tho but she doesn't seem to mind:D:D

· Registered
1,584 Posts
We snip them out of Milly sometimes too.

Nothing can be as bad when we used to clip Monty ourselves. Now we are talking 4 years ago and before I used forums.

We just got a clipper set out of Argos and the poor dog .......well let's just say it was probably akin to a pudding basin cut that some kids endured :D:D

We did it a few times then finally caved in and went to groomer where he was scalped.

We now have found our groomer we love and they both go every 8 wks. It costs us £30 each but worth it.

We do brush etc... in between.

I would consider doing them myself if I went on a course. I find cutting with scissors ok but not so good with clipper.

My hubby will testify to that!!!! first time I ever used them was on his head :D:D let's just say a bald strip is not a good look. :p Anyway now he just clips it all off every few weeks himself :D

· Registered
1,862 Posts
We snip them out of Milly sometimes too.

Nothing can be as bad when we used to clip Monty ourselves. Now we are talking 4 years ago and before I used forums.

We just got a clipper set out of Argos and the poor dog .......well let's just say it was probably akin to a pudding basin cut that some kids endured :D:D

We did it a few times then finally caved in and went to groomer where he was scalped.

We now have found our groomer we love and they both go every 8 wks. It costs us £30 each but worth it.
y
We do brush etc... in between.

I would consider doing them myself if I went on a course. I find cutting with scissors ok but not so good with clipper.

My hubby will testify to that!!!! first time I ever used them was on his head :D:D let's just say a bald strip is not a good look. :p Anyway now he just clips it all off every few weeks himself :D
Did you give your husband a reverse mohican????

I have only trimmed Betty's face before and not sure that was a very good attempt as i had to hold her between my knees to stop her wriggling!!!!

· Registered
3,773 Posts
I wouldn't be without my dematting tool and I always have some sausages on hand as a treat (for Daisy obviously! :D ). I don't have a table, I just brush her when she is relaxed and sleepy in the evenings which is not very good from a trimming point of view. I am giving up trying to trim her myself, she has a habit of turning towards the scissors and it scares the life out of me, I am so worried I will end up cutting her :eek:.

Daisy's coat goes through phases of matting alot to hardly needing brushing but I try and do a bit everyday.

Groomers next monday for me.....:(

· Registered
3,015 Posts
i have had a look at the les pooches brushes - which colour is it that i would need? they all look the same! :rolleyes:
I have the green and the red but Betty doesn't like either as she seems to find them too scratchy -she tolerates a ball pin brush and ball pin slicker much better...I could post them to you to try before you buy as they are quite expensive(£26.00 each)...it would be a shame to waste your money..

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the green and the red but Betty doesn't like either as she seems to find them too scratchy -she tolerates a ball pin brush and ball pin slicker much better...I could post them to you to try before you buy as they are quite expensive(£26.00 each)...it would be a shame to waste your money..
Ahh, thankyou so much- that is really lovely of you. I am going to speak to a groomer that i know tomorrow as i remember her ordering a couple so may be able to try hers out to see if Lola is ok with them.
Poor Betty- she really is a sensitive little thing isn't she! :rolleyes::p

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Izzy won't let me use a slicker brush at all, I use a comb and dematt tool I bought in PaH.
Ali, have you tried the ball pin slicker? Betty hates the regular slicker too but if I use the ball pin brush she will then tolerate the ball pin slicker ( it's the ones that have a little bobble on the end!!!) with what Cara said about her Izzy I'm starting to wonder if our light poos are more sensitive...

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Izzy won't let me use a slicker brush at all, I use a comb and dematt tool I bought in PaH.
Ah ali, i was thinking earlier that i hadn't seen any recent pics of Izzy and i do have a bit of a soft spot for her...... when you get a minute, do you think you could treat us all?? pretty please?! :D:D

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Ahh, thankyou so much- that is really lovely of you. I am going to speak to a groomer that i know tomorrow as i remember her ordering a couple so may be able to try hers out to see if Lola is ok with them.
Poor Betty- she really is a sensitive little thing isn't she! :rolleyes::p
No problem - just let me know if you change your mind...to be honest I can't see any difference between the two:D

· Registered
3,324 Posts
Ali, have you tried the ball pin slicker? Betty hates the regular slicker too but if I use the ball pin brush she will then tolerate the ball pin slicker ( it's the ones that have a little bobble on the end!!!) with what Cara said about her Izzy I'm starting to wonder if our light poos are more sensitive...
Thanks Colin, I'll give it a try :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.