I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Wow, it's been ages since I posted, so I have lots to read and catch up on, here.

First, I want to thank you again for all your support. When Elliott first came home, I was a total wreck. He wasn't sleeping well and housetraining was a nightmare. You gave me loads of support and suggestions and we're finally settled in.

My hubby and I have been commenting that Elliott is the sweetest dog we've ever had. When I was researching breeds, that comment came up over and over again- that Cockapoos are simply the most easy going, greatest family dogs. It's true.

We have a Portuguese Water Dog who is wonderful and had one before her, plus I had Poodles growing up and into the early years of my marriage. Though for the most part, every dog was wonderful in her own way, Elliott is different.

I call him Happy Feet. He is always....happy.

He is now 99% housetrained. Where we get into trouble, as I've mentioned in earlier threads, is that he can't really tell us reliably when he has to "go", so we're constantly on our toes. I trained him to paw at hanging bells off the door to alert us, but...he loves to go outside (except in the rain), and we never know when he REALLY has to go. Harper, our Portie, does the same thing.

Elliott was getting up at 5:30 am, partly because my hubby is an earlier riser, but he's now getting onto my schedule. Thank GOD.

He's remained small- around 13 lbs but his body is hilariously long, combined with short legs and a VERY long tail.

He's affectionate and his routine is- if he wakes up before me, he makes a little bit of noise, hoping I'll wake up. When I do, his tail just goes bonkers: wag wag wag, slamming against the bed like a drum stick, and he gives me kisses, then turns over for his morning belly rub.

Who could not love such a dog??

He adores Harper and has just befriended our new kitten, Bailey. He loves everyone!

I hope these new pix come out, below. Kinda rusty with all that.

Enjoy your dogs, everyone. And Happy New Year from Elliott and me!

- Terry

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi - he is a really lovely boy and what a wonderful update! I hope this gives a little uplift to those new puppy owners who are going through those first challenging weeks.
We too feel this way about our puppy Billy who is nearly 6 months - he really is such an important part of our family.
H x

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi - he is a really lovely boy and what a wonderful update! I hope this gives a little uplift to those new puppy owners who are going through those first challenging weeks.
We too feel this way about our puppy Billy who is nearly 6 months - he really is such an important part of our family.
H x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Terry - so lovely to hear from you and Elliot is looking just great. So pleased that all is now well after such a challenging start and feedback like this inspires others who have early day challenges to keep going as it does all settle in time.

I'm not sure when you were last posting but I took the plunge and went for puppy number two back in October. I've put loads of stuff about Flo and Remy on a blog here if you want to take a look http://www.mydogslife.co.uk/category/doggie-diaries/mandys-diary/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mandy, no! I didn't know you got a new puppy. Just looked at your blog and I'm in awe. Your pups are gorgeous. They certainly bonded early on. I love the photos- are you a professional photographer?

Enjoy your babies!

Hi Terry - so lovely to hear from you and Elliot is looking just great. So pleased that all is now well after such a challenging start and feedback like this inspires others who have early day challenges to keep going as it does all settle in time.

I'm not sure when you were last posting but I took the plunge and went for puppy number two back in October. I've put loads of stuff about Flo and Remy on a blog here if you want to take a look http://www.mydogslife.co.uk/category/doggie-diaries/mandys-diary/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind comments and Happy New Year to you all!

For those of you still struggling with young puppy behaviors that are challenging, hang in there! I didn't think I could and the peeps here were so kind and supportive. I was letting Elliott out every 20 minutes at one point, because he'd STILL have an accident in the house as soon as I let him in!

He was the most challenging puppy to train but it's been so worth it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Mandy, no! I didn't know you got a new puppy. Just looked at your blog and I'm in awe. Your pups are gorgeous. They certainly bonded early on. I love the photos- are you a professional photographer?

Enjoy your babies!
Haha - no not a professional photographer. For every good photo there's another 99 that are terrible. So pleased Elliot has now settled in well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.