I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just wanted some advice on getting a 2nd a cockapoo. I've got a male F2 who is nearly 2yrs he is the most loving and caring dog not dominating towards others but loves to play with adult dogs. But he is treated like a child always having cuddles just so loving! I just want a companion for him especially when I'm at work.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
It is my personal experience and preference to actually have (at least) two dogs - especially when there is at least 6 months (ideally a minimum of a year) between the two - so 2 years would not be an issue what so ever x

Two dogs make great companions - for You and for themselves.

Usually the older dog takes the lead and helps show the other dog (or pup) the ropes - the second dog should be easier to crate train (if you do it); toilet train; understand house rules and they can certainly be great playmates in the garden or when out on walks..............AND Cockapoos pair-up a treat ! .........the only problem you are likely to experience...........is the desire for a third !............and a fourth xxxxxxxxxxx

Stephen xx

·
Registered
685 Posts
Definately get another dog its the best thing we ever did. We were a little unsure when we were deciding to get another one or not but i have never regretted it one little bit. Bayley and Holly are so happy together and play with each other all the time so leaving us some peace at times!!!! They are so much company for each other and it is fantastic watching them together. We keep thinking about getting another but maybe a 3rd is pushing it. A pair works out just fine with us at the moment. I recommend getting another. And a boy and a girl both neutered certainly has worked for us, we have never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Katie,

I can only talk from my experience but I really feel two dogs is easier than 1 but 3 dogs and you notice the extra work load, if wanting 2 dogs you go for it.

As for Fletcher being 2 years old, he may be a bit set in his ways and I am not sure how he will take to a new puppy. I introduced my dogs 2 months apart and it worked perfectly, they were all playful together and a joy to watch, no dominance issues, just accepted each other. I don't think there is a need to wait 6 months to a year to get a second dog as the 1st dog gets too settled which could potentially cause issue.

My advice, have a friends dogs to stay over for a week see how Fletcher reacts, and most of all you know your dog, so if you are ready and he is ready, bring on cockapoo number 2.

Keep us posted, I really hope this helps Katie.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi ... I think once you meet a cockapoo you want one, once you've got one you want two lol .... We got Mable when Wilf was 3, had toyed when he was younger but did nt want to get it wrong, I certainly would have got one when he was younger with hind sight. They play lovely and always have they love walks together but Wilf sometimes wants his space, which I think if he'd have been younger he would nt have needed. He just sometimes wants to lie on his own, not with her snuggled up. I'd certainly say go for it ... decide what you want and welcome no.2 :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I was advised by a trainer to get a second dog when the first is an adult and trained; old enough to know better but young enough to still want to play! She recommended getting a puppy when your first dog is between 2 and 5 years old.

We own a retired greyhound who was 8 years old when we got Rufus as a pup. Bless her she was so tolerant with him. It did give her a new lease of life initially but now that she is nearly 10 she really really likes her own space and is not up for playing at all.

We are planning on getting a second Cockapoo next year (or at least I am!! Shhhhh) when Rufus will be just 3 years old. We'd have gone for it this year but the finances weren't on our side.

One more thing to consider is the other end of their lives. Illness notwithstanding it is maybe worth looking at a gap that means you won't lose both dogs within a short period of time. Gosh my heart is breaking just at the thought!

Ultimately you will know when you are ready to welcome another bundle of fun into your house. Sometimes we can intellectualise too much! Good luck! I think you're ready now ......don't you?!!

Karen and Rufus xx

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
I say go for it. Great company for each other. I certainly will be next year and I can't wait :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol i have 4 so i say go for it.

don't panic if your older dog doesn't get on with the pup at first, they will be fine, he is going from being the only dog to having to share your affections. just make sure you spend lots of time with him and maybe get him a new toy.

what are you thinking of getting a girl or boy. do you have any photos of fletcher ?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have 7 dogs oldest being 7 this month youngest nearly 8 months and number 8 joins us at the end of this month.getting a 2nd dog is a great idea and as kendal says dont worry if at first your older dog doesnt immediately take to the pup,it just takes time but it will be well worth it.:)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Ok Stephen you have persuaded me, put me on your list for next year tee hee
Next year's Summer List has already started xxx Especially as people are going to be able to watch the progress of several of our pups from a selection of mums - so you will be able to watch how they develop; how easy (or not) they were to crate train; toilet train and how well they settled into their new Family - along with assorted photos along the way - so we have people looking to use this as a guide.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankyou for all your helpful comments.
I really want a 2nd but my hubby is trying to put his foot down as he is very uncertain as Fletcher is so well behaved and so spoilt! I am looking at getting a girl as Fletcher has been done so no competition for top dog. He just loves playing with every dog he sees and when we have been on holidays he has been round my mums with 2 other dogs and loved it so much he cried and sulked when he got home on his own!
Thanks Katie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I really want a 2nd but my hubby is trying to put his foot down as he is very uncertain as Fletcher is so well behaved and so spoilt! I am looking at getting a girl as Fletcher has been done so no competition for top dog. He just loves playing with every dog he sees and when we have been on holidays he has been round my mums with 2 other dogs and loved it so much he cried and sulked when he got home on his own!
Thanks Katie
Oh, he's lovely. I love that you say your hubby is 'trying to put his foot down'! Mine thinks he has put his foot down, but we'll see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Katie
Thanks for posting this thread, Katie. We are going round in circles with the same debate, although my husband did say the other day 'when we get no. 2' so it's on the cards! We're in the middle of selling our house at the moment so the time will have to wait, but our Bella sounds just like your Fletcher! She just loves attention and playing with other dogs so I think she would love having a playmate when we are at work and school. I need to get her settled in the new house first though I think. :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ha love all the comments about husbands they come round eventually lol... all the men avert their eyes ;) Just show your husbands pictures of people with more than one dog ..." ah look at these 2,3,4,7 !! " then look at puppy pictures... "ah just look at this one" ... look at JDs videos " look at these lovely babies ". Then when he says " you're not thinking of getting another are you ? " you reply " Oh no it would be too much" But you keep showing him or letting him catch you looking until eventually he suggests one and its all his idea :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
2 dogs do amuse each other, Rascal was just over 13mths when we got Scamp, they're mostly best of friends, odd tussle over a bone or toy but generally get on very well.
Rascal will keep Scamp in place when he has to even tho he's smaller :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Oh, he's lovely. I love that you say your hubby is 'trying to put his foot down'! Mine thinks he has put his foot down, but we'll see.
:D Mine too

Graham says NO!!!!, but I say by next summer Eddie will be (hopefully) trained and then I think we should get another - watch out Jukee Doodles!
I've started a secret saving pot as well so when Graham says we can't afford another, I will have a surprise for him ;)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Just for reference .. we tend to ignore Hubby's opinions on here, even when they are paying for the new puppies .. they all end up giving in to us cockapoo crazy girls.. he he he

My hubby has given in .. I will be getting a number 4 ... but end of next year .. he is just as in love with them as I am ... Oakley and Hubby have something quite special going on ....

Basically what Im trying to say is ... if you wnat one, you get one xxx and share pics and puppy times with us ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts