I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My family is eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new male puppy, whom we plan to call Figaro. A friend is aghast that we are getting a male dog, and is convinced that all males spray/mark indoors. Is this true? We plan to get him neutered at the appropriate age and we don't have any other pets.

Sara

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Sara, congrats on the new arrival!

Properly house trained, ANY dog will not toilet or 'mark' indoors! Please do not just get him neutered at 6 months automatically to 'avoid behaviours'... not ALL dogs display behaviours that some people think neutering corrects.

For example, Bailey, our older Cockapoo, has NEVER been humpy, never been aggressive, always been very friendly toward other dogs & playful, has always been very lean & fit. He wasn't neutered until he was 7 years old.
His brother, Sonny, who belongs to my partner's parents, is quite humpy, is very unsure of other dogs, & is obese. He was neutered at 6 months as veterinary 'standard'.
Neither dogs have ever 'sprayed' or 'marked' indoors.

Bailey only started showing signs of difficult behaviour due to still being 'intact' from around the age of 6 1/2. He would disappear out of parks after female dogs & was very difficult to retrieve! Hence the decision to then have him neutered.

Please think it through properly - the majority of behaviours are due to nurture & are correctable with the right positive reward based training!

My pup Dexter is 5 months now, and I really don't think I will be getting him neutered in a month's time just out of 'just because'... he's such a sweet little playful innocent puppy, and I will just see what adolescence has to throw at me! :D My friend on the other hand, has a VERY humpy 5 month old puppy & they've been recommended neutering asap.
It ENTIRELY varies from dog / dog :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks beckymnd,

That gives me confidence. We have the benefit of a great trainer just down the street. Certainly she can give us pointers. I also appreciate your thoughts on keeping dogs intact. I have a lot to learn!:)

Sara

1 - 3 of 3 Posts