I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1 year old who wakes up every morning about 5am. She seems to wake up to go to the toilet and is then wide awake. We are still leaving a puppy pad down for her as we don't want her to pee on the floor. Any advice on how to get her to sleep longer without waking up to go to the toilet, she does get taken out for a walk around 10:30pm each night and usually does a wee when out on her walk. Thanks for any assistance. .

· Registered
3 Posts
I would probably leave her awake and not answer her. It would probably be best to leave her alone until she learns to stop. This isn't a good or bad solution, but speaking from experience, it worked. You could also bring her into your bedroom after she does her pee, but this is a bit inefficient and she'll probably keep being hyper when you stop bringing her into your room.

· Registered
85 Posts
I was having a similar issue with my puppy a couple months ago. Due to work we get up by 1am, and usually he had to pee at 10pm and was reluctant to go back to sleep. Every puppy is different so YMMV.

I started to take away his water bowl an hour before bedtime, and took him out to pee just before bedtime. I also made sure that I refilled his bowl fresh an hour before taking it away to encourage him to drink up. Then first thing in morning I place his water bowl back down fresh.

I did that 2 nights in a row and second night he didn't need toilet until I got up with him. Also I made a point of tidying up his bed ready for him to make sure he knew it was almost bedtime before taking him out for last piddle of the night.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
I would make sure they are going out a couple of times in the evening to toilet and definitely weeing last thing before bed. I would not lift water, my dogs always have water available to them but I would lift the puppy pad and I would set my arm for just before she usually wakes to try and get her waking on my schedule not hers. It might then become obvious that something is happening a5 that time to wake her. Once you are getting her up not the other way round you can start to slowly push the time back to something a little later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts