I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After a lovely first week out walking with Billy he has suddenly started plonking his bum down and refusing to move! A quick Internet search suggested the following:
1. He has been spooked.
2. He loves being at home so much he doesn't want to go out.
3. He is tired / paws hurting.

I am not sure any of these apply and we have been encouraging him by either using treats or kids running ahead shouting him. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just another little phase?
Helen x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Buddy does it as soon as we leave the house i think its when we go in the car he dosnt like me plonking him in the crate in the boot.He's also done it when hes been tired ,hot ,has something stuck on his fur.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
My dog also doesn't like rain or wind much, I think she's getting more used to the wind now, but she doesn't like going out much in the rain, not even into the garden to do a wee, but we don't tend to try and go for a walk when it's raining so she hasn't refused, she just doesn't like it. So it could be something weather wise causing his stubbornness

·
Registered
53 Posts
charlie has taken a while to get the hang of walkies - really excited to leave house then 2 gardens away she desperate to come home - we have had to resort to picking her up and carrying her out of the street !!! however this last week she seems to have got the idea that a walk is fun - trotting along with tail wagging - shes 16 weeks old now and a pleasure to have even with all the mischief she can get up to! :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lolly did that too during the first few weeks of walkies! I think she was a bit scared of the traffic at the end of our road so wasn't keen to leave the house and would sit down at the end of the drive. She particularly did this with my husband as I think she also didn't want to leave me! ;):love-eyes:

Time and lots of treat bribes eased the problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keltie started sitting down across the road from our house on our way back from walkies and refusing to move - I assume it's because she loves walkies so much she doesn't want to go home. It's quite embarrassing having to drag your dog into the house :eek: I'm sure the neighbours must think we're horrible to her or something! I found a bit of chicken works magic in getting her to move again (but she doesn't get it every time as she's cute enough to know "if i sit here for long enough she'll give me chicken!" :devil:

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Hi Helen, I agree it's quite common for this to happen. Keeps trying to go out, even if only for short time. I also used to put Obi's lead on and then let him run around the garden with it loose so he got used to it. If you do this though ou need to be there to supervise incase the loose lead gets hooked on anything.

Also, have you tried getting in the car and driving to a place you can walk off lead? It's good for them to get used to going in the car too and an off lead walk is a great when they are this young as they are reluctant to leave your side. It's scary the first time you do it but it will be fine.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone - just a little update:
Yesterday morning we went to the park, Billy really resisted all the way there unless we ran! Once at the park he was off lead and had a whale of a time. On the way back he pulled and when we got to the end of our road we let him off lead and he ran all the way home at lightening speed and sat on the step!
Glad to hear that it's probably just a phase x

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah they will come out of it.
Sort of got to set up success.
Ie he gets piece of meat/cheese on the way out the door and at the end of your road. Therefore going out is great as is the end of your road.
That's the easy bit.

The return to home journey and the race for the front door, maybe someone else could give some tips on reducing this anxiety. I've not experienced this.

Private message 2hdangel she's good.

A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.