I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ozzy as been going on regular walks for a couple of weeks now, both on a pavement and on a field that is near us. He is really good walking on his lead, apart from the odd distractions like leaves and people, but he as learnt not to jump up and to sit at the curb when crossing the road.
My only worry is when to start letting him off his lead. He as learnt come and stay and will come to me whenever i say, and the other day i tried shouting when their where a lot of distractions on the field and he did listen and came every time (nearly).
I must admit that the thought of letting him off his lead causes me to nearly hyperventilate, and i imagine him running off into the sunset, never to be seen again.
How have other people done this and is their any advice on how to build my confidence in letting him off? Im considering getting a really long lead, would that be helpful?

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Tbh I think obviously as long as you are away from roads (we walk in fields) there shouldn't be a problem, we let Izzie off lead straight away & we barely ever had problems (only a couple which involved her running home quite young & she really got told off for it & has never done it again - only because it involves crossing a road). Basically Izzie never lets us out of sight, never has done, always turns around to check we are still there, & if she turns a corner without realising or we hide like meanies to test her ;) She comes running back at full speed very quickly! She is an angel off lead, comes when we ask her, stops & waits for us, absolutely lovely :D I think the earlier you let them off the better as they learn as a pup what is right & that will then continue whilst growing up :)
I hope that has helped a little, & good luck :D

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Laura is right, the sooner the better. I let mine off from first walk. Obviously make sure you are away from roads etc but its best to do it now as he will be very unsure of the big wide world and so will naturally want to stick with you. If you leave it too long he may hit his confident independant streak and indeed may take off thinking he is king of the world.
Basically you have to take advantage of his puppiness, he will stay with you!!! Take plenty of treats and have lots of recall to put lead on and then let him off again, so he doesn't associate the lead with the end of his walk. Take a deep breath and away you go, nothing makes your heart happier than seeing your dog running about having fun and making friends.:)

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Oh and if he does wander off a bit far, don't chase him!!!!! Start in the opposite direction, jumping, squeaking, calling, just to make yourself much more interesting than what ever he is heading to, make yourself fun, he will follow you. You may feel a bit silly but it works and of course hand over a nice treat when he does come to you.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
I agree with the others. They tend to stay close at that age anyway ... if he goes ahead a bit you could call him and treat him when he returns ... he'll know it's worth returning next time.

I let Bess off lead first time, in a safe place of course, and she stayed pretty close to us and our other dog.

It's so nice to see them enjoy their walk unhampered by a lead. :)

· Registered
1,709 Posts
We took the plunge at the weekend during the NW cockapoo meet. Vincent was brilliant and kept close enough so we could always see him but far enough so he could have a good run about.

Unfortunatly I live in the city and there are very few areas near my house that I can let Vincent do this :( There is a great park about 20 minute walk away which Vincent just can't quite get too, as he gets too tired :(

Its the problem with only having one car!!

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've done it!:D
Ive just took Ozzy to an old miners pit field at the bottom of the road, armed with enough treats to have fed all the worlds trick or treaters last night. We walked for couple minutes and then i dared take his lead off. I thught i was going to have a heart attack/panic attack or both but i did it and he was as good as gold. He knew i had treats and he went far enough to have a run but kept looking back to see where i was. I did a lot of recall like suggested and kept putting him back on his lead and taking it off again, like you suggested Karen.
Im so pleased with him, ive no words to describe how worried i have felt about it (im a mental health nurse and i know its psychological haha)
Thank you everyone for ure advice.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Brilliant. Its such a lovely feeling being able to walk them off lead.

If ever you do have a spot of trouble and young Ozzy wont come back as Janet said, be exciting and interesting. You can even lie down and wave your arms, or run gently in the opposite direction. There are times, however, when you simple have to go and collect your dog, esp if they are very engrossed in something interesting.

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Well done the both of you!!!!!! Bet you are on top of the world :)
The only thing I would be wary of just at the moment is fireworks, try and take him out before its anywhere near getting dark, as it would be awful for him to get a fright a run off while he is learning the "off lead" rules. That is the only reason he may take off, don't want to bring down your happy mood but just think its worth mentioning.
Well done though, you deserve a big pat on the back :)

· Registered
22 Posts
Well I have a different situation. I was recently in an accident and can not walk very far now. Not enough to excersize Oreo. However he has taken it apon himself to be my service dog. I did train him to walk off lead. before, now even in the city it is not a problem. Only when he has been in doors too long does he get alittle out of hand.

· Registered
22 Posts
No tips because I did not train him. I just have a very good relationship with him. But I did remember that when my cousin come over one time, she was recovering from eye surgery. Oreo would not leave her side and would nudge her when she would walk and come too close to the wall.

· Registered
8,349 Posts
I know how hard it is letting your first dog off lead .. I was so worried with my Oakley .. but really it is good to do it early on .. just do it .. feel confident and let him off in a secure field .. I bet your puppy doesn't go far from your side :) be brave ...

I have Picnic off lead and I have to be careful not to fall over her xxx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.