I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rain has been basically torrential all day, especially at my parents in Wiltshire, so didn't walk Betty there this morning. Got back to mine in Windsor at about 5.30pm and it was still raining heavily so wasn't going to walk Betty, then the rain stopped so took her out and then down it came again as we were out!!

When the rain is really heavy do you still walk your dogs or do you just oocupy them indoors?? This is the first day in a long time I can remember it raining pretty much all day so haven't had to deal with this for ages! Luckily was at my parents today and my brother, his wife, my 3 yr old nephew, an aunt and an uncle were all there so Betty had lots of stimulation and didn't sleep much as too much was going on so don't think she really needed a walk, but I took her out more as I actually wanted some fresh air!!

I have had days of not walking her if the weather has been bad and she sems fine for one day. She doesn't mind going out in light rain but she doesn't seem to like going out in torrential rain.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Jules - who doesn't like going out in the rain - you or Betty Boo? When it is winter it rains a lot! I have an Equafleece for Izzy (they have a web site). It is quite amazing, it stops her getting wet in the rain but can also be used to put on her if she is wet - from rain, or a bath. The fleece absorbs the water and keeps the dog dry. It is very flexible and easy to put on. It covers half the tummy and about half of each leg as well as the body. Brilliant in all the snow last winter, I only had to rinse the salt off her legs. I tried plastic but Izzy lept around the garden like a lunatic until she fell over! For me it is a kagool or a Barbour!!!!! My friend has plastic trousers but I just get my jeans wet. Have fun, at least the rain isn't cold at the moment. xx

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weirdly I don't mind walking in the rain and just stick my barbour jacket on. But I have seen Betty just stop and not want to walk at all in really heavy rain. I think I was fairly lucky that there didn't seem to be that much rain through the winter and I usually managed to get her out for a walk when it wasn't raining!!!!

I have seen aquafleece's before - I must have a look again and think about getting one for her.

x

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I still try to go out every day whatever the weather. I love being out with Rufus and my retired greyhound Zoe. It's my escapism. However, I will try to aim for a time when there is a break in the clouds! I go to the wood to walk in torrential rain as there is more shelter from the elements. Walks are often shorter when the weather is bad but even a quick walk leaves them with the impression that they've been out and so they're happy.
I don't think the odd day without a walk will do any harm so don't beat yourself up!

Karen x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i juge it, if its torental then most of the time no, if if its stopping and starting i will mostlikely chance it and if its just light i dont mind. however if iv been at work all day (i work at a boarding kennel) and it has been torental and i have been walking and drying dogs in it, i relly dont feel like walking and drying off my lot when i get back.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
If its chucking it down in the morning I put off walking until later in the day on the off chance that it may clear, but neither of mine are happy to even go to the loo if its really bad. May try the fleeces as the coat I bought Wilf for the winter obvuoisly was nt to his taste... I literally had to drag him out in it. It was sunny here this a.m but knew the weather was moving up later in the day so missed the rain.x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I haven't missed a days walk with Dylan, but it is a shorter walk in the rain. I just stick a cagoul on and Dylan is always wet anyway from jumping in rivers so he's not bothered. Even with a short walk I think he still feels like he's been out and doesn't get too hyper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As strange as it sounds, I actually enjoy walking in the rain, I just stick on my coat and we're good to go! Ruby doesn't mind the rain either... The only drawback is a soaking wet dog when you get home! I just towel dry her as we have wood flooring and tiles downstairs the wet floor can just we wiped over!

I have seen some dogs over the park in full on waterproof suits covering their whole body including the legs, there is just a bit cut out for the tail and bum so they can have a poo and wee! Can't help but laugh when I see them as the suits are shocking pink! :)

J

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'm glad someone asked this question today, as I too was wondering what to do.

Millie is not keen on going out in the rain, but once out she seems fine. She does rather a good impression of a drowned rat by the time we've finished.

I like the sound of the fleece jacket. Is it kinder to put a coat on a cockapoo? I know some breeds of dogs seems to repell most of the rain, but my cockapoo just seems to get extremely wet through.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
because of the woolyness of the cockapoo coat, they just absorb water so quick and take longer to dry naturaly, as the watter gets right to the root. i love the equafleece, my only complaint is that i find it mats my girls coats, its only just resently i have knowtised it. i think i just got used to keeping them longer and mat free them the bad weather hit and i started using them again a knowtised a big difference. but they are worth the extra work on the coat as they realy do keep them warmer and dryer, even if you get cought out in the rain and bring them home wet eh equafleece is fab fro drying them and keeping them warm but letting them move normaly.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Can't bear the rain, far too depressing and it gives me frizzy hair! Dexter has had lots of indoor play today and is quite exhausted!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Can't bear the rain, far too depressing and it gives me frizzy hair! Dexter has had lots of indoor play today and is quite exhausted!
He he, I have visions of Monica in that table tennis episode! My hair also frizzes and it is a pain, I now have a collection of hats that I can pile all my hair into.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm also an equafleece fan! Maisy has a lovely red one and it's much better than the waterproof coat I bought her - covers all of her tummmy, chest and neck and keeps her lovely and dry. She also has it on after her bath to dry her off quickly. Just got to get Ellie one now - will have to wait until she stops growing tho as they aren't cheap! :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm also an equafleece fan! Maisy has a lovely red one and it's much better than the waterproof coat I bought her - covers all of her tummmy, chest and neck and keeps her lovely and dry. She also has it on after her bath to dry her off quickly. Just got to get Ellie one now - will have to wait until she stops growing tho as they aren't cheap! :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh your perfect pair will look so sweet in their coats, don't you love the way their hair fluffs out around the edges of the fleece - they look like 1970s hippies!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lolly hates the rain - she doesn't even like going out in the garden for a wee when its raining - she just sits by the back door while I'm getting wet looking at me like I'm mad!!! I have walked her in the rain (once we get going she doesn't seem to mind too much) but try to wait for a break in the clouds before we go.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Poppy's OK with the rain, think its because the weather was really bad just after we got her. Shes got 2 coats for when it's heavy rain a 3 Peaks light weight one and waxed cotton one for the winter. If it's just light rain she does without a coat.
Rosie had her first walk in the rain on Saturday , she was in the pocket of my Barber jacket
I have to exercise for health reasons so having the dogs means I don't have an excuse to not go out in bad weather.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We've not had a single walk in the rain since we got Rosie, so I was intrigued as to how she'd react. I put her in a raincoat (far too small cos we expected rainy walks when she was little) and, apart from looking really embarrassed at what her mum had made her wear, she was fine! What a difference though, here's photos from both days at the weekend!

Going to buy an equafleece NOW before the ILMC effect means they sell out!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Did you manage Louise or are they already sold out :D My hair can be frizzy without the rain, so I quite like it when its cold or wet... an excuse to wear a hat x

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We've not had a single walk in the rain since we got Rosie, so I was intrigued as to how she'd react. I put her in a raincoat (far too small cos we expected rainy walks when she was little) and, apart from looking really embarrassed at what her mum had made her wear, she was fine! What a difference though, here's photos from both days at the weekend!

Just had to laugh at the tight little pink number xx

1 - 20 of 50 Posts