I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice/reassurance this morning please.
I woke at 7.30 this morning, hadn't had a peep out of Izzy, so I got up and went down, her puppy pad was wet (for the first time in 2 weeks, apart from the other day when I was dreaming and didn't register it was her crying!) That is the only time she has wet in the morning without shouting "I need a tiddle now Mummy". Should I just continue to get up when I want to, and she'll learn to hold it in, or should I get up and try to pre-empt the wee?

When I let her out, she didn't need to go, and didn't want to hang around in the rain, so I let her straight in, fed her, and 5 mins later (confess I was checking for JD puppies pics!) I found a poo by the sitting room door, we had also found one there late last night. I'm impressed that she is going to the door, but she doesn't make any noise to go out and I missed it!

I take her out frequently, after play, naps etc. and I tell her to tiddle, if she needs to pee she will, I praise her for doing it and ignore her indoor accidents. Am I being too impatient? Apart from sniffing,which she seems to do constantly anyway, are there other signs to watch out for?
I must admit it was a lot easier last week, when it wasn't pouring with rain all day, every day :rain:

Thank you :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Gypsy was the only one of my lot to cry at the door when she needed out. Inca didnt start crying to get out till she was 3 years old. it was very confusing hearing the cry i didnt recognize lol.

if she hasnt done anything i would have popped her back n the crate when not watching her.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Ali she's young. There will be accidents so don't worry about it :D

My dog trainer told me that the bladder is the last muscle to develop at around 16 weeks, I presume this is true.

Izzy will get there is toilet training.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sniffing around is the only sign Ellie gives if she wants to go, even at 6 months she still has the odd accident inside (usually a poo) and it's either because we haven't seen her go to the door or she has seen the rain and din't fancy getting wet!

I wouldn't worry, they have little setbacks now and then, she's still very young :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Beau will run to any door in the house (we live in a bungalow) and bounce off it and then run past us to the kitchen door whilst staring at us as if to say "look I need to go out"! I have to admit it is so funny that we sometimes let her do it a couple of times before getting up to let her out! She only started doing this properly at about 4 months of age but she can go from 11pm until 9am without needing to go now and if we go out without her she never has an accident but then she is almost 6 months. Izzy is still very young but she will get there in the end :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The day Buddy had lots of accidents it was raining also (think it was my fault as didnt let him out as much)
He makes no noise when he wants to go (except for in the morning to get out of the crate) He starts to sniff and go in a circle.Sometimes though if im busy i'll turn around and think were is he he's being quiet ,and low and behold he's in the hall sat next to his number two looking rather sheepish!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Millie has only recently found her voice and uses it usually when one of her toys has disappeared under the settee :cool:

She is now 6 months old and at 5 months old she started to stand by the back door. if we're lucky she'll make a sort of squeak noise that is barely audible.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
betty just goes and sits by the door when she needs to go out but very rarely barks to let me know. Sometimes if she thinks i've not noticed her she will cry or give one bark. When she was tiny we had a couple of accidents as she was so desperate to go out but i had to go first and she then had an accident (to be honest rather her than me!!!!!).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
it also amuses me how Betty has no respect for whether i have clothes on when she decides she needs the toilet. take last night, she had a good walk and then i went out for a 45 min run. when i came in she got lits of fussing and then i had a shower. as i got out of the shower and wrapped myself in my towel i see her sat at the front door. so as i dry myself off and put some clothes on, all she does is look at me as if to say "come on, hurry up, i need the toilet. why are you bothering with clothes? just take me outside!!".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts