I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my nine month old female cockapoo had done so well with her toilet habits and we trained her to ring a bell when she needs to have wee/poo which she uses most of the time to tell us. She can go all night without an accident however these last few weeks she's has started to wee indoors without going to the door!! I put her out as soon as we get up but this morning she didn't have one and when I brought her in my back was turned for a minute and she had a massive wee!!!im trying hard not to get cross with her but I'm getting very frustrated with her behaviour and don't know why she had started to do this!!! She a very anxious dog and loves constant attention and love from us. I've tried to put her out every hour again and praise her with treats and make a big fuss. But still the occasional accidents!!! Any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey guys, sorry about the accidents. Has any of you introduced any changes to their routine, or even around the house? There are many reasons as to why accidents may occur. Infections such as UTI can lead to it, so maybe a check up would be nice. Stress and excitement can also be a cause. Change in the environment say by introducing renovations etc and changes in the family. Here is an interesting article for you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey guys, sorry about the accidents. Has any of you introduced any changes to their routine, or even around the house? There are many reasons as to why accidents may occur. Infections such as UTI can lead to it, so maybe a check up would be nice. Stress and excitement can also be a cause. Change in the environment say by introducing renovations etc and changes in the family. Here is an interesting article for you.
With Freddie it was a one-off I hope. I think it was due to him wanting some of the food I was preparing for myself and not wanting to miss anything by going outside. I must add I do not give him any of my food, but he is always hopeful!!!

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I think that you just need to take a step back in your training - go outside with your pup and reward her for weeing in the garden.
Look at it her way - she is pleased to see you in the morning. You open the back door - put her out, shut the door and get on with your morning routine - without her!
She wants to be with you - so she cries to come back in, you assume she has done what need doing so let her in... she wees inside and all the while you are cleaning up she is with you.

My advice would be get up and take your dog out for a walk - she will do all that she needs to do while out, or you will know that she hasn't - and if she hasn't (some dogs are insecure about doing their duty away from home) you can take her out in your garden when you get home and praise her abundantly for going outside.

Going for a walk together is much more fun than getting frustrated at dogs that are not getting house training!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Great advice already. Just wondering if she's had her first season yet? Poppy was around the same age and little accidents were the first sign - check her for swelling maybe?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Great advice already. Just wondering if she's had her first season yet? Poppy was around the same age and little accidents were the first sign - check her for swelling maybe?
Yes Marion I was thinking the same thing, Molly wanted to wee a lot more when in season. Maybe its worth a check like Marion said for any swelling this could well be a sign and if so its just a short term blip :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts