I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been enjoying reading some of your posts. I have a 6 month old female cockapoo who is adorable. She is doing really well with her potty training and let's us know when she wants a wee/poo by ringing her bell at the door. I feel though, as if she has a wee practically every hour or so and doesn't seem to hold her wee very long during the day. She doesn't have a great deal to drink during the day! Is this still quite normal for a 6 month old? She's 6.8 kilos and not that big so was wondering maybe her bladder is small! The big issue however is She goes in her crate on a night, has a wee before we put her to bed and will sleep about 8 hours, however when she wakes up and let's us know with a little bark that she's awake, by the time I get to her she has had a small wee in her crate. This has been happening every morning. I tried waking her up and putting her outside but it backfired slightly as when I put her back in her crate, she had then woken up and then wanted a poo 10 mins later then thought it was time to wake everyone up!! Any suggestions? I clean her crate with white vinegar to remove scent of urine. I don't think she has a urine infection but don't really know what to do about this especially when she didn't do this previously!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sometimes it's difficult to tell if they have a urinary tract infection. When Kirby was about the same age, he started having "accidents" in the house--once while looking right at me... Sensing that something was amiss, I took him to the vet, and she discovered--after following him around with a ladle--that he had a UTI. I never would have thought there was anything wrong with him otherwise...if the problem increases in frequency, you might need to take him in.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If it were my poo I would not hesitate to take either of them in right away. Anything that sends up a red flag needs further investigation.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Just like children all pups very at the age they develop full control. I would get up during the night and take her out for now part way through the night and then once you have got her clean just start to gradually move the time of that night break until she is able to hold on all night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weeing in crate

Thank you for your replies. Lola woke us up at 6am with her usual wake up call, and again she had already had a little wee in her crate and so didn't want to go outside!!! She was spayed last week and has a check up with vet today so I am going to mention it. If not, think I am going to have to start getting up again about 4am to see if I can stop this pattern!!! The joys!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just spotted this after posting a very similar issue myself! My pup's a lot younger (14 weeks) - but even so I do feel it's not lack of ability to hold on that's causing the problem as he'd been doing it fine. Of course as he is so much younger I could be wrong. Like you we'll be going back to the early am wee breaks - but will be watching this thread with great interest :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sorry if this might sound a bit daft,but because it's a small wee are you sure it's not excitement that cause her to wee.just pleased to see you first thing in the morning. My Molly is two and still wees with excitement :)

Like 2ndhandgal says all pups vary and my vets told me even though both mine were house trained early between something like 14-16 weeks they might regress :rolleyes:,but I was lucky they never did!

Maybe when you get up and give her and early wee break leave her out a bit longer to give her time to poo. Sid will sometimes go out first thing and wee then poo a good 5 mins later. As for ringing the bells and going out a lot in the day this was another stage Sid went though, I think it was more of a game than really needing a wee.
Still worth getting her checked by the vet, but also consider if there's no infection that this is just her age and she's enjoying playing you .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, thanks for your replies. Well we got Lola checked at vets and no urinary infection, so with that ruled out I got up at 4.30am on sat morning and she had a wee, however 1 hour later she let us know she was awake and had a poo, then thought it was time to get up!!! Next morning alarm was set for 5.30, she had wee, then 15 mins later barked and went for poo! This morning I set alarm for 5.45 but she got there before me, had already had a wee in her crate but needed a poo then wide awake!! So frustrated. Not quite sure if I'm doing right or wrong!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts