I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice needed please. Mitzi is doing really well - was even able to handle hubby jumping for joy when CHelsea won the champions league last night - I don't think she's seen Pete so excited and vocal!

I'm concerned Mitzi is getting into a habit of weeing in the crate during the night. I know on an early post it's a question of either getting up during the night or accepting that she's too young (10 weeks) to hold from 10pm until 6.30am.

What's your experience on time scale of when a puppy gets thru the night. And by having paper in the crate does that mean she will continue to use it. should I try without the paper and see how she does. At the moment half the area is her the other half has paper.

Thank you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, at 10 weeks Alfie could hold through the night - we did the same as you at first, left him an area to toilet in but found that it slowed down his toilet training. As soon as we took the paper out and made his crate smaller he went through the night with no problems at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Hi, Since I brought Molly home at 8 weeks she has been dry through the night. I never had any pads or paper in the crate, Just enough space for her bed. I didn't get up to her through the night. I realise all puppies are different but I would give her a go without the paper and see how she gets on. Shell get there soon i'm sure :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Tosh,

Saffi had difficulty holding her wees in during the night for the first week or so - the washing machine was on constantly with loads of vet bedding!

Eventually we removed the paper and spread the vet bedding across the entire base of her crate. Anne paper trained Saffi's litter - I'm sure she would have done the same with Mitzi's. By putting paper in the crate you may be inadvertantly making Mitzi think it's ok to pee in there.

Let us know how you get on! :) It will come. Saffi will now go from 11pm to 9am at the weekend!

·
Registered
434 Posts
With our Dexter,he didn't ever pee in his crate because we never put paper in there. He would sleep in his crate upstairs,so we could hear when he needed a toilet in the night. At first he needed to be let out around three times a night,then just the once,and now (and for a long time) he doesn't need to go out during the night.
I'd say that having the paper in the crate will just be confusing to the little one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Jarvis couldn't go through the night till about 12/13 weeks... I just took out the wee pads and made his bedroom smaller (bearing in mind he had a huge 36" crate) he still occasionally weed but he usually woke me at 5:30 for his duties. I just cut the 36" vet bed in half and put them on a 15 minute wash.

Now he's dry at 16 weeks. Some do, some don't. I read once puppies usually can hold their bladder for only 6 hours!!
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that it was age 12 weeks when Eddie became reliably dry every night, he is 10 months now and there is still newspaper in his crate along with his cardboard box bed, so I wonder if it doea make any difference having paper there or not.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Personally I think it is asking a lot for a pup to be put under such stress over whether or not he/she is able to have a pee. How would you feel if you were locked in a room without access to a toilet? I believe in allowing a pup room to relieve itself, not doing so is purely for our convenience not the pups!

·
Registered
569 Posts
We went with the paper in crate route as it suited us more - probably slowed things up in terms of being clean but by about 15 weeks he was dry & only has a rare accident in crate ! ( kitchen floor is next challenge - there's something about it that seems to say 'pee on me !!!' )

Sent from my iPhone
Lisa - mum of 3 boys, Dexter Cockapoo & 4 hens !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just though I'd give everyone an update. Since removing the paper and making crate smaller Mitzi has had a three clean nights. I do take her out just before bedtime. Long may it continue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Overall its going well, but Mitzi has discovered digging - I thought she was on her way to oz! Trying to get her to use a section of the garden for her business works some of the time but we haven't quite figured out her schedule - even though we give her meals at set times. I don't know if we need to increase her food, as I can't believe how many twigs. Stones, leaves she tries to munch on! Do all poos/dogs do that?

the crate has been clean so I'm really happy about that. Definitely removing the papers helped. I can't believe how exhausting It can be at times. But we will get there. Hows saffi doing?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Deja vue - Saffi was obsessed with digging and sticks and bark and stones and bushes... the list went on! She found them more exciting than her own toys at times. Now she's not that bothered and if she digs in the 'no digging' area we say a firm 'no' and move her over.

It is hard work in the early days but you will get there, I promise! It gets easier and easier and more routine :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Millie loves to eat anything she finds in the garden, I'm forever looking in her mouth. Anything that moves she tries to grab.

Well done with the crate training. We had paper down in Millie's crate for the first 2 weeks then removed it and made the crate smaller and the weeing stopped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.