I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so happy this afternoon. I came back from my fabulous local butchers with an incredible amount of meat and bones for Daisy, enough to feed her for a month, all for 8 pounds! Started to unpack it and bag into portions when I discovered the lamb breast bones had just been cut into two large pieces rather than small portions of two bones. Oh well, I thought, they were free, I can do this. I got my biggest knife out and a hack saw :rolleyes: and set about cutting them up ( Saturday job in a butchers :) ). I was quite exhausted when i had finished but was so pleased with everything I had I felt very happy. That was until I went to wash up and saw that some small parts of the knife blade seemed to have broken off! I was horrified as the only place the pieces of blade could be was in the bones! :eek: I closely examined every lamb bone but only found two small pieces of the broken metal. I just couldn't chance Daisy's health, the thought of her biting it or swallowing it was too much to think about so I had to throw all if the lamb away! :( I was gutted but not half as upset as I would have been if I'd not noticed! I think I am going to order a meat cleaver!

On the plus side, Daisy had her first heart tonight and loved it!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Sensible decsion Sarah. You're right it wasn't worth the worry, risk and possible vet trip.

Its a shame you had to throw the lamb away, but be glad you found out when you did :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am sure you would have noticed, don't worry. I am going to get myself some decent knifes now! :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
A meat cleaver is a must though be careful as when I used one to cut up my Mum's dog's bones years ago it slipped along the slippery bone and ended up embedded in my thumb and when Madeleine was a baby the food processor blade did the same thing and all the lovely homemade pureed food I had spent all afternoon making had to be binned so I completely sympathise as better to be safe than sorry :D Blades and me just don't mix ;)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooooh! Hope your thumb was ok. I managed to cut mine but nothing serious! :) it is quite disheartening but not worth the risk. :( My kitchen looked like a butchers shop when I was sorting out all the meat. I have bought a mini chest freezer just for Daisy's food. She is so spoilt! :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
When I go out I leave Millie with a bone. I always get an enormous greeting on my return, but she and the house do smell like a butchers block :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh you must have been so gutted :( Good thing you didn't risk it though, can't imagine how I would feel if something happened to Tilly which was my fault!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh Sarah after all that graft... but you'd have worried every time you fed her, I agree not worth it, glad she liked the heart x

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ooooh! Hope your thumb was ok. I managed to cut mine but nothing serious! :) it is quite disheartening but not worth the risk. :( My kitchen looked like a butchers shop when I was sorting out all the meat. I have bought a mini chest freezer just for Daisy's food. She is so spoilt! :D
Thumb was ok thank you though still have a deep scar :( Definitely not worth the risk though I can understand the disheartening part when you have spent ages making nice food for your dog! Love the fact she has her own freezer - pampered Daisy deserves it though :D X

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch! That does sound painful. :(
My freezer was never really big enough and the week I started feeding raw I decided to buy a new one. It is only the size of a small under the counter fridge but perfect for Daisy doodle's supplies. :)

Daisy kept me up until 1am last night, she also woke up at 3am, 5.30am and then slept again until 6.30! She seemed to have a complete relapse. :( I am hoping for a better night tonight. :pray:

Hope Beau is still doing well. X

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ouch! That does sound painful. :(
My freezer was never really big enough and the week I started feeding raw I decided to buy a new one. It is only the size of a small under the counter fridge but perfect for Daisy doodle's supplies. :)

Daisy kept me up until 1am last night, she also woke up at 3am, 5.30am and then slept again until 6.30! She seemed to have a complete relapse. :( I am hoping for a better night tonight. :pray:

Hope Beau is still doing well. X

Was at the time but lesson learned... don't play with knives :)

Madeleine decided we needed a bigger fridge/freezer last year which I bought but it is way too big for just the two of us even with Beau's stuff in it!!!

Thank you re Beau - hopefully she is a bit better tonight as started to play again which is great as has been very lethargic all day!

I really hope that Daisy sleeps better for you tonight as you must be exhausted :( It's such a shame that she has these issues with separation as she really looks and seems like a darker version of Beau who admittedly doesn't like to be left alone at night and that is why she started to sleep with Madeleine but I know that when I go out she cries for a short time (I have stood at the window outside the kitchen where she is left) but stops not long after the front door is shut - I slam it quite loudly so she knows I am not in another room and just ignoring her - but is a real sweetheart and just needs her issues sorting out!

Good luck yet again and if I come across any ideas on what to do though you have probably researched everyone of them apart from getting another Cockapoo (there's an idea!) then I will let you know :D

Sleep well (I hope) X

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol mum was worried about me being naturally clumsy and doesn't really trust me when it comes to knifes lol so she got me a butchers glove lol so i still have all my fingers lol they are expensive even when second hand lol but well worth the money to save fingers when doing home butchery for your dogs dinner.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol mum was worried about me being naturally clumsy and doesn't really trust me when it comes to knifes lol so she got me a butchers glove lol so i still have all my fingers lol they are expensive even when second hand lol but well worth the money to save fingers when doing home butchery for your dogs dinner.
Sounds like a good idea! :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
what a shame after all that hard but glad daisy enjoyed the heart,she definately has found her loving forever home with you,better luck with the bones next time xxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts