I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I adopted a very well trained 6 year old cockapoo from an animal shelter. He was not neutered at his advanced age. My question is has any one gotten their cockapoo from a shelter? Was your dog already well trained at that time, I mean to the extent that the dog will obey off leash 100% of the time. He was picked up as a stray and he is so well behaved that I do not think he ran away from his previous owner. My suspicion is that he was used for breeding and thrown out when he got to old to breed. Is 6 years old too old for a male cockapoo to breed? My husband and I are amazed daily that such a good and well behaved dog would end up in an animal shelter along side pit bulls, rottweilers, german shepherds, and dogs with disabilities. I just do not know much about this breed other than what I have read and things like this is never discussed in information on the breed.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
How great you can offer a home to your 6 year old cockapoo, and wonderful that he is already trained for you. Cockapoos are generally pretty trainable and good off lead (unless of course they get a sniff of a rabbit or fox!) What colour is he and what have you named him?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
How lucky are you! Not sure about the breeding, I would have thought someone who has trained him so well would have looked after him, was he not handed in? It sounds more like a dog that would have been reluctantly handed in, I'm not sure about stud ages, depends how the dog performs I guess. You are lucky to have each other anyway. Love to see a picture of him. Is he still entire? Over here he would be neutered before being re-homed.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
My husband and I adopted a very well trained 6 year old cockapoo from an animal shelter. He was not neutered at his advanced age. My question is has any one gotten their cockapoo from a shelter? Was your dog already well trained at that time, I mean to the extent that the dog will obey off leash 100% of the time. He was picked up as a stray and he is so well behaved that I do not think he ran away from his previous owner. My suspicion is that he was used for breeding and thrown out when he got to old to breed. Is 6 years old too old for a male cockapoo to breed? My husband and I are amazed daily that such a good and well behaved dog would end up in an animal shelter along side pit bulls, rottweilers, german shepherds, and dogs with disabilities. I just do not know much about this breed other than what I have read and things like this is never discussed in information on the breed.

I am glad he has a loving home now. Sometimes you don't know the dogs history so just love him and be happy that he is a well behaved dog :D He is lucky to have someone who will care for him!

I got an older Lab years ago and she was the best trained dog ever. Her owners were elderly and passed away and the kids didn't want her so they brought her back to the breeders. The reason they didn't want her was cause she scratch their hardwood floors.........she was the best dog ever and I was so happy I could give her a home! She had a happy life with me and I didn't care if she scratched anything;) Dogs just need love!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was picked up as a stray. That is what baffles us. He was not microchipped and was not turned in by any one. I have become so attached to him I am thinking about taxidermy when he passes away because he is my best friend and my baby.he is my first dog with my husband and he is my companion according to my husband. I want advice on how to keep him alive as long as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts