I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to all this so please bare with me. I have a 9 week old cockerpoo he is smart cheeky and affectionate. But what I would like help with is is it normal for cocker poos to wet their beds if so how can you stop them or will he just outgrow it thanks. And thank you for accepting me to your site x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only put him in crate if I have to go out which isn't very often and I'm only hour at most but this isn't when he is crated this happens when he is asleep despite going before hand he seems happy and healthy otherwise just wondered if it was part of their character. Thanks for replying x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi! I have the same problem but my puppy is nearly 18 weeks. She didn't use to do iT but started about 4 weeks ago and it's every morning. She barks to let me know but by the time I get to her she has had a wee! I had her checked at vets for infection but she's fine. You could try washing bedding and crate in non biological washing powder to remove any trace of scent (vet told me about that!)
I've also read about putting their food in the crate during the day as apparently don't like to soil their crate if food in!! Other than that, I'm sorry, no other suggestions but if you find a miracle cure then please share!! Ha . I'm back to setting my alarm to wake her up before she wees, a killer!!! The joys. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Do you make sure he has peed before you put him in? Also what do you do right before the crate? At that age, he will need to pee after he sleeps, after he plays, after he eats, after chewing on a toy, after.... Pretty much you have to think how much time in between pees/poops is the time you can expect. Best way to figure out is to log everything.

Keeping a Log
http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=1245

Here is the link for the stickie. Once you figure it out, it will change your life. Also make sure you clean well. I used to soak the vet bed in an enzyme cleaner and wash it twice. I would also spray the crate, around the crate and under the crate. You have to leave it on long enough for it to work.

Finally you may have too much room in your crate. It should be just enough for him to lay on his side. Too much space and he is going to use parts of it as a bathroom.

You will get it. He's still really tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I don't think anyone on here has posted about an adult cockapoo who habitually pees on their bed so what you are experiencing is a puppy thing and with your help your pup will get past this stage.
Cleaning well and keeping a log is excellent advice.
A good warm coat and boots for you is also necessary as you need to be going out with your pup every time and staying out with your pup until he has had a pee and a poop -if that is what you think he needs. You must praise your pup for doing what he needs to do outside. Praise at the right moment - if you go 'Yay!' as soon as he squats then he might leap up before finishing so keep your praise for the moment he comes up out of his squat.
Is it possible your pup is getting excited as you come to let him out of his crate and he is doing a bit of an excited wee in greeting? If this is the case be very calm as you come in to the room the crate is in, avoid eye contact and go straight out to the garden, saving happy time for after he has toileted.
Also when a pup needs out - you need to take them out, you'll have to get used to leaping straight out of bed zooming downstairs and out into the garden with your pjs - coat and wellies combo and hope the neighbors are not looking out of the window!
Your pup will crack toileting faster if you are super good at making sure he is outside when he needs to go.
Another thing - however fed up you are try not to get cross with your pup for having accidents inside. View them as times you didn't get it right, not him and remember it is a stage. Most pups get it by the time they are 20 weeks or so - it gets easier when you are taking them out regularly for walks and they get more into a pattern of toileting, that is where the log really helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for advice I have been using non biolical washing powder and a stain and odour remover. I also have been logging toilets which are between 20 to 30 mins apart also have given calm praise within 2 seconds of doing business and removing water at least 2 hours before bed but still does it unfortunately bless him. I thought it might be puppy thing but just wanted to check thank you again. And if I do find miracle cure will keep you posted lol xx

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Just one other thing - what are you feeding your pup?
Pups on dry food will drink more water than those raw or wet food fed.
Does he pee on his bed during his day time naps?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He was on dry food but trying to wean him onto wet food and yes he has done it while sleeping seems he goes into deep sleep but when he wakes he is full of mischievous tendency again lol.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
If you are saying he wees while he is actually sleeping I would get him vet checked to rule out a UTI. It is probably just a developmental thing, but with baby pups better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Thanks for advice I have been using non biolical washing powder and a stain and odour remover. I also have been logging toilets which are between 20 to 30 mins apart also have given calm praise within 2 seconds of doing business and removing water at least 2 hours before bed but still does it unfortunately bless him. I thought it might be puppy thing but just wanted to check thank you again. And if I do find miracle cure will keep you posted lol xx
Just to say - you want biological powder as this dissolves the enzymes which create the smell.

That does sound like very frequent weeing so worth checking in case of a uti

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had dobbys urine tested and no infection although vet did say his urine was more diluted than the norm and to keep eye on it. He is going longer between toilets now no longer 25 to 30 mins so that's easier so must be just lazy pup lol x

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you take it out before sleep and in the night? I think what it needs is training at an early age. Also know the kind of food you are giving it to ensure that it is not too dry that it has to drink up too much. I also think a check with the vet would be a great idea just to rule out UTI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts