I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Would like some advise on what training / reward treats to give Blossom when she comes home. If I want to reward good behaviour for toileting outdoors or going into her crate as I guess there could be quite a few little rewards for a good little girl I will want to give something small and not too fattening....are all shop bought puppy treats rubbish and full of junk? :confused: xxx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
liver cake, chicken, hotdogs, cheese, ham.

you want something soft and smelly that they dont have to chew, cut it up to pinky nail size, do training before a meal never after, you want your puppy hungry for training.

the idea of it being smelly is that it leave a light sent on your hand so you can get them to do what you want for the promis of a treat rathery than actualy having the treat in your hand.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Kendal...when you say hot dog, do you mean like a frankfurter sausage? (chopped up of course):D

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Thanks for that Kendal...when you say hot dog, do you mean like a frankfurter sausage? (chopped up of course):D
yeah frankfruters, i couldnt remember the other name for them, just always called them hotdogs lol. and yeah cut up small

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We have used all that Kendal has suggested. Our obedience trainer bakes her own which she sells and also sells a recipe book but free downloads can be found plus many on this forum will happily give you their recipes. Beau loves hot dogs, cheese, shop bought etc! The smellier the better as the value of the treat ie smell has to be high to get your pup to do what you want :D

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
are all shop bought puppy treats rubbish and full of junk? :confused: xxx
A lot of them are so read the ingredients list. Also a lot of treats will say 'not suitable for puppies' on them. I just used a different type or flavour of puppy kibble for Flo. She is now NI fed and has Orijen kibble as training treats. Small pieces of cheese or frozen peas worked well when she was a puppy. I would avoid liver while very young. Small pieces of fish skins braid is a nice healthy treat as well.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I was going to ask the same question, Betty will not eat things like
Puppy coachies ( or any that are a little bit spongy) - she doesn't seem to realise that she needs to chew them a little and end up just falling out of her mouth. She likes 'star' treats but they are not really for puppies ( I have just realised) she has a runny tummy quite often - do yout hink this could be the cause??

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
When Beau was Betty's age she got an upset tummy with various shop bought treats as think they were a bit rich for her. We then tried using small amounts of cheese and hot dogs etc and she was fine though we did make a batch of liver cake and that upset her tum too! Think it is all trial and error :D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
When Beau was Betty's age she got an upset tummy with various shop bought treats as think they were a bit rich for her. We then tried using small amounts of cheese and hot dogs etc and she was fine though we did make a batch of liver cake and that upset her tum too! Think it is all trial and error :D
Thanks, will give this a try - if I can stop myself from eating them:D:D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Pushca loves the skin off salmon or a bit of tuna. But I also buy the liver treats from the vet...I hope these are okay.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
So far Millie has had the following for training/treats

Cooked chicken, the sort that is flame grilled or similar
Cooked mini sausages
Frankfurters

All the above are fresh and chopped into small pieces. I keep my training pouch in the fridge because of all this fresh food.

Extras are:
Coachies, but adult not puppy
Beef Jerkies, from NI, brillaint and Millie loved them, but they went off :mad: probably should have stored them in the fridge.

Apple, skin removed

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all...am I best to oven cook chicken and sausages (grill frankfurters?). So I can give some fruit like apples....no grapes tho. :D Its all very helpful.xxx Ali, the recipes sound great but dont want to put you to any trouble writing them all out unless you want to.xxx

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks all...am I best to oven cook chicken and sausages (grill frankfurters?). So I can give some fruit like apples....no grapes tho. :D Its all very helpful.xxx Ali, the recipes sound great but dont want to put you to any trouble writing them all out unless you want to.xxx
Hi - a friend has the recipe book and am getting it back next week so will private mail you some ideas when I get it :D Our trainer says no fruit pips so can have apples but not the core or pips though someone said on the forum that they have to eat a lot of pips before getting ill - I just think better to be safe than sorry! :D X

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats great Ali and Paul, now going to click the link to have a look - Thankyou. Yeah I heard that apple pips are toxic or something??!! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts