I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the forum before I got my puppy, it was recommended to me by my breeder as I had expressed an interest in getting to know other soon to be owners.
I learned so much before Izzy came home, received so much advice from more experienced members when she was young, and I hope, passed on some of my newfound knowledge and experience to others who came after.
I have oohed and aaahed over puppy pics, shared in others excitement and shed tears when beloved pets have been ill or died.
We have to have campaigners in life, I am one of those "types". On this forum I have learned what to me constitutes ethical breeding, and I have not been afraid to say my piece. I have also apologised if I have, or have been perceived to have spoken out of turn.
Debate is healthy, it is part of democracy.
I believe we the members should decide what we want the forum to be, and surely it should serve the wishes of all it's members? Perhaps, with tighter guidelines and consistent moderating, it would be possible for such debates to continue, those who participate, I believe have the same ultimate goal for cockapoos.
Those who do not wish to participate, do not have to.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
We want the forum to be a place for impartial advice, shareing personal journeys with our Poo's and general light and entertaining posts we do not want point scoreing or bullying that is why we have moderators who decide when things have gone too far and I for one respect their decisions.

Forgive me but I think it is all starting up again!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I think most members know what I want ...

I would like the forum to be fun, happy, upbeat, informative and useful .. and a welcoming place to visit .. with lots of photos and helpful advice ...

We all just love cockapoos .. and it would be lovely if we could all just enjoy the chat on here and avoid heated debate or poo politics ... that really isn't necessary

I count every member as an equal and hopeful virtual friends too .. we don’t need to argue amongst ourselves surely .. I know we all don’t always see exactly eye to eye on all topics, but that’s not a bad thing, that’s just because we care about what we believe in .... but can we not do that somewhere else and not on here, just keep it friendly and upbeat ..

Support each other not argue with each other ... would be great :)

I don't want to avoid threads and like chatting to everyone ..

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I wasn't being deliberately obtuse!
The point I was making was, as JoJo said, every member is an equal, so should have an equal right to decide what the forum should be.
I don't want fighting, arguing or bullying either, but if we don't debate anything other than
Light and Fluffy issues on here, how else will those new to the cockapoo/dog world have the opportunity to find out about more serious topics? Many people choose not to be members of other clubs/forums.
Surely, the very fact that we are talking about this in a grown up, civilised way is a really good and positive thing?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd like a forum where everyone can chat and have fun, but also be able to discuss important topics in an adult way. The last thing we should be doing is digging our heads in the sand and pretending that bad things don't happen.

The way I see it, problems exist, and unless we willing to be part of the solution, we are part of the problem.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'd like a forum where everyone can chat and have fun, but also be able to discuss important topics in an adult way. The last thing we should be doing is digging our heads in the sand and pretending that bad things don't happen.

The way I see it, problems exist, and unless we willing to be part of the solution, we are part of the problem.
I couldn't have said it better myself :)

Perhaps a way of controlling the more heated debates on the forum would be to try not to mention the size of the breeder...that always seems to get someone going!

Size isn't everything folks (sorry, couldn't resist it :laugh:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Would it be an idea to have a side forum dedicated to 'Debate'? This way, those people that want to debate important issues have a dedicated area where they can discuss issues instead of every other post being "oh here we go again".

We really need to get past the 'us' and 'them' mentality and debate as individuals. There has been a history which almost automatically places us on one side or the other and I think it's time to appreciate each other as individuals.

The 'Debate' forum would enable those people who dislike that type of thing to avoid it as sometimes innocent threads get taken over by heated discussion. It would also give somewhere for Mods to place discussions if they have veered off course! Just a thought .....

Karen xx

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Would it be an idea to have a side forum dedicated to 'Debate'? This way, those people that want to debate important issues have a dedicated area where they can discuss issues instead of every other post being "oh here we go again".

We really need to get past the 'us' and 'them' mentality and debate as individuals. There has been a history which almost automatically places us on one side or the other and I think it's time to appreciate each other as individuals.

The 'Debate' forum would enable those people who dislike that type of thing to avoid it as sometimes innocent threads get taken over by heated discussion. It would also give somewhere for Mods to place discussions if they have veered off course! Just a thought .....

Karen xx

Thank you Karen, yes this has been an idea that I have already put forward to admin. I said to call it ' the soap box' lol. But yes it can be called anything but I thought it could be an opt in area and under the title of the forum a description of the type of thing that is posted there ie, serious debate, breeder ethics, club ethics etc so that like you say we can keep the main forum lighthearted and for the enjoyment of all but also have an area to talk about serious topics without annoying anyone. The only thing is all discussion would have to stay with in this forum and not spill over on to the main one. The only way to ensure that happens is that all participants agree that if this occurs infractions will be issued. This will be a strict rule. I personally think this is a great compromise and we should give it a try.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thank you Karen, yes this has been an idea that I have already put forward to admin. I said to call it ' the soap box' lol. But yes it can be called anything but I thought it could be an opt in area and under the title of the forum a description of the type of thing that is posted there ie, serious debate, breeder ethics, club ethics etc so that like you say we can keep the main forum lighthearted and for the enjoyment of all but also have an area to talk about serious topics without annoying anyone. The only thing is all discussion would have to stay with in this forum and not spill over on to the main one. The only way to ensure that happens is that all participants agree that if this occurs infractions will be issued. This will be a strict rule. I personally think this is a great compromise and we should give it a try.
Sounds like an excellent solution to me ..... fluff and serious issues completely separate (I would be happy to use both). Most of the trouble usually stems from an initial misunderstanding, so this would probably make for a happier forum all round.:)

S x

·
Registered
2,870 Posts

Karen xx
You couldn't have said what I have felt better Karen. Whilst I really enjoy the happy and upbeat threads, it would feel wrong to me if someone felt unable to discuss or highlight an issue where the intention would be to educate/inform anyone interested in that issue in an intelligent and informative way, especially if it is for the common good of the cockapoo, rather than with the intention of causing any heated debates.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

But do you not have that on your own forum then Jon ?

How are important topics and debates handled on your CCGB forum that is so different to ILMC?

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
No I do not want this forum to be used for emotive debates about breeding ethics that quite frankly always cause problems on here. ILMC is what it is…a fun, friendly place to chat about Cockapoos. I might add that it is a global site and not just a UK site which I think a lot of people forget just because there are a lot of Uk members on here. How are all these debates about breeding in the UK relevant to those global members?

I respect what both of the newly formed Clubs do in their own right but that does not mean that ILMC should have to change/conform to meet either clubs ethics or requirements.. The key messages that both of the Clubs are trying to convey come across very clearly already. People who find ILMC through search engines are savvy enough to find the links to Clubs too. The Clubs have their own space to discuss/debate topics important to them. Please leave ILMC to be the fun, friendly chat that it started out as. No agendas here, just Cockapoo.
:ilmc:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.